• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PRS Talk Tripod Setup for PRS

lrkcs332

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2011
Spring Creek, NV
Hello everyone. I am in the market for a new all around tripod, as well as a tripod setup for PRS (head, tripod and mounting system for rifle). I have been doing some research, but there are just so many options. I was hoping some of you guys that shoot PRS and have setups could tell me 1) what is your setup? and 2) does it work well, or would you change anything?

I will be shooting my first PRS match in about a month and would like to have the setup for that match. I have a budget in mind of around $700-800 but can be convinced to spend a bit more if needed. My rifle is in an XLR Element chassis. I was looking at a full length ARCA plate, but again, I'm just not sure what the best setup is with all the options out there. I also use an Atlas BT-10 with pic rail mount bipod, so I would either need an adapter for that or get the plate to change out the pic mount. Tripod wise, I was looking at the Manfrotto 055 Carbon. Am I way off base?

At any rate, if you can share some opinions and experiences, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys!!!

Like Rob said, if it is your first match, don’t worry about it. I don’t have one yet (other items are higher priority), but the best part is getting to see what other people run at the matches. At the AI match, RRS even sponsored a stage where you had to use a tripod...shucks, I had to use something I am looking at buying...rough life right?

There are a lot of good options out there. But go to a match and see what people have (not everyone has RRS tripods, though it may seem like it).

I did however have an ARCA rail on my AI since I am setting my bipod up to use the RRS Atlas adapter so I can place my bipod anywhere along the front of my rifle. So if you know you will ultimately commit to running the ARCA rail by someone, it may be a good investment to purchase the rail, as many PRS folks are super generous and are willing to let you try their gear to see what you like/don’t like (saw the same thing with bags too). Overall the community has been super helpful. My first match I showed up to with a basic old rear bag, tripod, and gun. That match I figured out what bags work for me.

Enjoy the adventure.

Tagging in to hear other people's recommendations. But to the op, I agree with what other ppl said. Spend that on ammo to practice positional stuff and barricades (building a barricade was some of the best money I've ever spent related to shooting. The practice allowed me to go into a match confident and knowing how to set up for it). Shot my first match a couple weeks ago and ppl there were more than willing to let me use any of their gear, tripod included.

Reactions: lrkcs332
I've carted a tripod along with me at every match for a couple of years now.

Number of times it's been used to hold up my spotter/binos: Every match
Number of times I use it as some sort of rear support (tac table or tripod leg): Maybe one or two stages each match
Number of times I've actually shot off it in a match with the rifle mounted: None

As far as using it as rear support, that can be an effective technique in the right situation, when rules and time allotment allow. I will say that it can also be a cluster-F the first few times you try it. Like anything it's a skill that takes practice. You could just as easily put that practice and $$ into more barricade shooting with a bag.

I'm with Rob, skip the tripod for your first match. There will be several in your squad anyway and you'll be able to borrow them if you want to try it out.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I truly appreciate it. I suppose you all are right that I may be jumping the gun as far as a tripod goes. The match will be the perfect venue to see if I actually need to spend the money now, or later. I definitely like the ARCA rail setup and the ability to move my bipod anywhere along the rifle, so I think I will go ahead and make that purchase.

I am actually in the process of making a barricade setup for more practice of positional shooting.

Thanks again for all the replies. Feel free to keep the advice coming!!

Definitely more of a luxury item than a necessity. For most matches, a tripod is just extra weight. Some matches, like the SHC in Washington state a few years ago, a tripod was pretty much a necessity. Field style matches aren't the norm though in PRS.

I have a really nice tripod setup, RRS with Uniqball gimbal head, yet I don't see myself ever bringing it to a PRS match unless I go to another field style match such as the 2016 SHC, which btw was my favorite match ever.

Your money and time would be best serves elsewhere, unless you just want one for the sake of having one.

I shoot a lot of matches, national and regional, PRS and NRL. I take a tripod to every match. I use it *a ton* as a rear support on numerous stages. It's nice to have for my spotter/rangefinder/binos. I've almost never shot off of my own tripod at a match. Maybe once or twice. The few other times i shot off a tripod at a match it was a stage sponsored by a tripod company and everyone was required to shoot off of the provided tripod.

If you are just getting into shooting matches my advice would be to just hold off on the tripod purchase until you feel like you really need it for something. Other shooters at the match will gladly loan you a tripod if you end up needing one in the meantime.

Having said that, my current setup is a Leofoto LN-364c with an RRS TA-3 leveling base. I also keep a cheap $50 ball head in my pack just in case there is any super high angle stuff.

Reactions: albertbro206
I love what the new crop of tripods and leveling heads have provided in Lue of years of refinement over the old 055s.

I recently find I am using my tripods primarily to use as a fast improvised barricade simulator. With it I can practice to shoot from rope, fences, pipe etc.. Jakes Tac table is cool too.. So ya, a good one is worth the investment.

But, in a match you’ll get many more miles from your full length rail than a tripod. Not only can you do the obvious and use your bipod on smaller items like a drum, but you can use your bipod in front of barricades or whatever and let it help manage recoil if the match gods have you twisted out of position.

You can also run your bipod down but in front of the front bag, and do kinda the same as in the image below.
98402136-EE77-4896-A601-0DA7E22B230C.jpeg

37348F10-CC7D-429F-BD69-72CDE7800FAA.jpeg

So along with Rob, Sheldon and a few others I would say wait, unless you wanted to use it to practice with a barricade simulator.

Edited to add: Practice as pointed out is huge. Many new match shooters who learned to drive a bit too much when on bipods shoot right over the top of a lot of barricades their first match. Often because they are free or semi-free recoiling vrs the hard load prone. Practice will make elevations on both more consistent.. just my random thoughts.

Last edited:
Feisol 3372 + Head of some sort ~ $800-900
RRS setup ~ $1400

The Feisol 3342 which have lighter weight legs would work well for rear support like pointed out by Sheldon above, but won't work well for shooting from standing.

Both of the above are good setups but RRS is the gold standard.

For your first few match, take what you have today and make a list (do it in your match book) of the errors you made, and what equipment you had to borrow. Watch the other shooters (or video them) as they shoot the stage before you to understand the choices they made so you can understand before you spend money.

Depends on the match. My first three matches, the lack of a tripod pretty much cost me about 10% of the match points. The next two, lack of a tripod cost me nothing.

I finally have a good set-up that I have tried in practice and based on what I learned from shooting a few years without. It is not the top drawer, but it works for me. I have a Feisol 3342 with a Benro leveling base and a Fittest Arca QR clamp. Total price is right at $600 and weight is 3.6 lb. I have a short ARCA rail in front of the mag well and still use my Atlas on the Pic rail just like I always have. I use the Bison Tactical Udder Field bag for the stuff in between and I am very happy with it.

Take a look at this thread as well...http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/tripod-comparison-data-request.6876540/#post-6962578

That said, I took the advice of several on here, and locally that told me to work on the fundamentals, data management, wind reading etc. before getting a tripod. I have cursed them as I am missing and they are hitting off their $1500 tripods, but in hindsight, the learning has been good and I feel I now have the skills to know when and how to deploy a tripod where as before I would not have.

I would tell you that taking a class from Brian Whalen at Blue Steel (I just took PR2), or Frank through Mile-High, or Rifles Only or...would be a MUCH better use of funds than a tripod starting out.

Shooting your first match? Worry more about practicing positional and obstacles and less about a piece of gear that you might use 1 stage and might not even be allowed depending on the match. ;) Put that $700-800 into ammo and it will do much more for your placing in the match.

I should have followed this advice.