• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Trouble with load data need help...

warlock76

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
Ashland, Ky
Ok guys I'm new to the reloading game and shooting long range looking for some insight. What I'm working with is Rem700 308 with H4895 with 155gr hpbt. On hodgdon web sight for load data states 46gr max load well at 45.5gr seems that the powder is almost into the neck of the cartridge. Am I stupid or is this normal to have that amount of powder in a case it seems to be compressing the powder when loading the projectile. Any help will be greatly appreciated because I would prefer not to explode my rifle..

Ok guys I'm new to the reloading game and shooting long range looking for some insight. What I'm working with is Rem700 308 with H4895 with 155gr hpbt. On hodgdon web sight for load data states 46gr max load well at 45.5gr seems that the powder is almost into the neck of the cartridge. Am I stupid or is this normal to have that amount of powder in a case it seems to be compressing the powder when loading the projectile. Any help will be greatly appreciated because I would prefer not to explode my rifle..
You need to spend some money, and start doing more reading. Buy a handful of reloading books, Lyman, Lee, Speer, Hornady.. and so on. Not only will you be able to cross-referance load data for peace of mind, but you too will find specs that denote compressed loads.

About 46 gr of H4895 is about the book LEE book spec max(just looked it up). If you are new to reloading and are having to ask these questions, you may want to start at the minimum load and work your way up. I'd advice you to start your loads around 43gr of 4895 and go up from there. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Definitely pick up some books and do some reading! I know with 168gr projectiles I tend to load around 42.5 gr of h4895 and have solid performers. The lee manual is probably one of my favorites thus far although the hornday manuals are decent as well. I will probably pick up the speer manual one of these days as well its nice to have a selection as demolitionman mentioned. You should never start at the max load. I would recomend reading all the stickies at the top by tresmons they are extremly helpful even for experinced reloaders.

Definitely start lower and work up for safety. That said compressed loads aren't a bad thing as long as it's safe in your rifle. One thing you might try as well is getting a drop tube. It allows the powder kernels to settle better into the case.

Warlock76,

You'll find that compressed charges (such as this) are very common in certain cartrdige/powder combinations, and there's nothing at all unusal or wrong with this. Once you get into powders that are too slow for a given application, you'll find that you simply cannot get enough of that powder into the case to generate decent pressures or velocity. Pretty good indication that you need to switch to a faster powder for that combo. By the same token, a powder in which you start hitting pressure problems with poor load density (a less than full case) indicates the powder's a bit too fast. Ideally, max pressures and 100A% load density will coincide, and that's about where you are now. You'll get used to this as you get more experience, but yes, it's fairly common and even normal in many instances.

Start low, and work up, and that's advice that ALWAYS applies, and will keep you safe.

Very good advice everyone! I would only add, whenever I am working up a load from minimum, I always pay close attention to pressure signs on the primer. Once the primer starts to flatten on the bolt face and fill the pocket, it's time stop or even back off.