• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

True wood stock options - semi high end

Kwilm

Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Oklahoma
Just ordered an impact action to build a 25 Creedmoor and wanting to something a little different. I’m a huge fan of the T2A from Manners so I’m wanting to find something similar to that style. I’ve found Russo Stocks online but not having tons of luck finding other places that offers that style of stock.

I’m not wanting to do an exhibition grade wood that is going to run me 3,000+ for a blank bit I would like some nice, pretty burlwood or something that shows a nice grain. Any help is appreciated.

@Kwilm maybe take a chance and reach out to the folks at Cooper to see if they would share the source of their wood? I have a 6mm Creed in AAA+ French Walnut and the grain is beautiful.

LRI can do it as well. Google their SHC rifle a few years ago. Had an ARC Mausingfield in a nicely figured wood stock that mimicked a Manners T5A chambered in 6CM I think.

Absolutely gorgeous rifle!

3444kms.jpg

Depending on what you want, Boyd's sells hardwood stocks. They usually have a few different types and grades of wood. More of a mid range than a high-end though, but depending on your hdiget the value is there.

Reactions: Blutroop
Alex can order whatever kind of blank you like. I takes some time to get the stock duplicated, and you're going to have to do final fitting and finishing when you bed. We leave the ejection port, bolt release, etc. solid up top so we can put it exactly where it needs to be when the action is bedded.

http://www.masterclassstocks.com

I think Carl does most of his duplication and may be another good person to call.

http://www.carlbernosky.com

Reactions: OG10
Several years ago I stopped by a place called Calico Hardwoods in Santa Rosa CA and bought a couple of blanks. They had thousands of gunstock blanks in various grades.

you didn't mess around with the blank. that's going to be gorgeous.

Thanks man. I always high hopes of trying to save a little money then fall in love with something way higher dollar than I planned on doing. Oh well gonna be a long couple of months waiting for it to get finished out.

I ended up going with a Turkish walnut with Joel Russo at Russo Rifle Stocks. Super nice guy. Anxious to get it cut and profiled. Here’s a pic of each side of the blank.

Do you have updates photos (of the finished product)? Would love to see them; bet it looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Do you have updates photos (of the finished product)? Would love to see them; bet it looks great. Thanks for sharing.

I’m still waiting on the finished product. Last time I talked to Joel in February he was going to try for mod to late April. I’ve tried to get ahold of him several times this week with no luck. I’m betting he’s in Indy for the NRA show. Hopefully I will have an update soon. It’s killing me lol.

love the toasted linseed oil stain look . on wood stocks . there are a few video's on youtube with the look . even a nice simple light minerial oil can really bring out a nice finish in wood .

Holy Crap !!!!!

He put the bolt handle and the clearance cut on the wrong side of the rifle !!!!!

LOL. Jon Beanland did the barreled action and mailed it straight to Joel. When Joel sent me the picture of it mocked up in the stock I texted back With “is that a lefty!? It’s supposed to be a right hander” I’m not sure if he had a heart attack or not but I wish I could have been there when he read my text.

Last edited:
Well it’s finally here in all her glory. It took just over a year from the date I ordered the first parts.

25 Creedmoor
Impact Lefty Action
Krieger 4 groove 22” barrel
Pins and Needles Fluting from Twisted Barrels
Triggertech Diamond Trigger
KMW Bottom Metal
Kahles 3-18
TBAC Ultra 7
Barreled Action work done by Jon Beanland
Stock built by Joel Russo

Thank you guys. I got the first 40 rounds through it today. Ran 20 at 40 grains of H4350 to start breaking in barrel the. The 2nd 20 to start the ladder test. Going to hone in on 42.5ish that will put me around 2850. I had a good node with 44.2-44.5 with speeds at 2980 but I was getting light ejector marks. I’d love for this thing to be in the 2950-3000 range but it’s looking like it may be a bit optimistic with the 22” barrel. Anyway. Here’s the rest of the pics I have. I’ll try and get some more soon.