• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

TULA and/ or WOLF primers ? any good

fmelloni82

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2011
Ok they're cheap , anybody ever use them in rifles . either large or small? . Ive used both large and small in handguns and they go bang and the accuracy isnt too bad.

but has anybody ever used any in a rifle. Particularly .308 or .223 ?

how did they match up to a fed or cci match primer ?

Re: TULA and/ or WOLF primers ? any good

Well I have not done any scientific testing. But I would say that from my experience they seem to work just fine. I'm loading them into Remington 308 brass with 43.7 grains of Varget with a OAL of 2.820 and My rounds shoot just as good as when I loaded them with CCI's. I have not had any dud primers yet and I feel confident with mine. Best of luck

Oh I'm using Wolf large rifle primers

Best SD and ES the Wolf primers, compared to Fed M and BR2 match primers, must seat all the way down. They are a little shorter and larger dia. than US primers.

Note: large mag rifle just means brass cup, not more mixture, standard primer has a softer cooper cup

I love them, and I have a theory on why they are so consistant. Just my thoughts.

primers are made in a big flat tray, and the primer compound is squirted on as a glob, then some guy uses a wiper to spread and fill the cups like a big squeegee. US made match primers are made just like the regular ones, except it is a dedicated single person that does it, so as to make them consistant, and are usually one lot, and never mixed. So, i got to thinking about it, Wolf is made in Russia, and I bet you have a 98 year old gran-ma'ma in there that has been doing nothing but make primers since before WW2. Gran-ma'ma probably has the technique down hard, and is better at it than the best US primer worker out there. Just a theory. Makes sense to me. but what makes more sense is the price and performance of the Russian primers.

damn if the guys on here say there good, Im sold . Thanks and Im glad if I turned somebody else onto them. just save me some =)

One word of caution on Wolf primers. I have experienced this exact problem 3 times, on two separate lots of WOLF LRM primers purchased at completely different times by completely different people from different sources.

The problem is that the anvil gets inserted upside down and the primer is effectively a dud.

I first experienced this over 2 years ago on primers bought right before Obama was elected. It was 2 primers both in the same sleeve of 100.

I experienced this for a second time just a few weeks ago while working with a fellow shooter on some brass testing. The primers were his, bought over a year later than mine from a different source than I purchased from. Same exact problem.

My advice? Inspect your primers closely before loading them. It can be somewhat difficult to see the problem with a quick glance, you have to actually examine it for a second.

I've used the Wolf primers a lot the past year or two, mostly small rifle and small pistol. A few months ago Powder Valley ran a deal with no Hazmat if you bought 5k Tula primers. I got another 5k Tula and have been very happy with them. mostly large pistol and more small rifle. I use the small rifle in 22 hornet, 218 bee, 223 and 32-20. they all go bang and are good loads and I don't see much diffference if any between them and CCI (my usual brand in the past). When it was hard to find primers a year or two ago, I had a local dealer that had a couple of pallets of Wolf so i started using them around that time and haven't looked back.

WolfvsFederalPrimerTest-1.jpg

Did this test for Chiller a while back... his Wolf's my Fed 210 match, Rock 5R 308 Win. I was converted. Distance to target was either 300 or 400 yards... I forget too much... Taking more notes though!

I've also been thinking to switch. They're half the price of the cci's I've always used, but I'm afraid of getting some cheap quality stuff. Never had a misfire/dud in a few thousand CCI primers. But I have read that a few times that Wolf are pretty consistent.

Still on the fence though, I have a few hundred CCI's left.

Yeah again I just wanted to say I have 5,000 of them. Well.. More like 4,700 or so... The ones I have loaded, I have not had one single problem with them. They are packaged just like the rest they shoot just like the rest ( to me ) I would have no problem buying more ( But I think I'm G2G on primers ) So yeah I say why not try them. I don't think you will be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camocorvette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah again I just wanted to say I have 5,000 of them. Well.. More like 4,700 or so... The ones I have loaded, I have not had one single problem with them. They are packaged just like the rest they shoot just like the rest ( to me ) I would have no problem buying more ( But I think I'm G2G on primers ) So yeah I say why not try them. I don't think you will be disappointed. </div></div>
5,000? That's it?

I have 19,xxx left, and that's just LRM... don't ask me about SRM...
grin.gif

I'm with the used both and had good luck crowd. I've shot from 100-1000 with 308, 260 and 338 LM used both Wolf and Tula same load other than substituting Wolf/Tula for Fed GM match no accuracy difference noted. I have been through 4000+ to date.

Reactions: Parkerized 1

A friend gave me 100 to try, I get very,very good accuracy with my AR service rifle. Like 1/2in @ 300 yds. with a 77gr.SMK I bought 100,000 of them. I also tried them in my Badger 2008 (LR) I shot a 1.5 in group at 600 yds. I used my bullets and Lapua brass. I will not use any other primer. I will never use all that I have but I will be not primer poor ever again.

Reactions: Parkerized 1

You won't be disappointed in the wolf. I have shot several k of them in srm for my ar15's. I still keep a supply of fed gmm primers just to be on safe side. I have slowly been converting all my loads over to the wolf. Currently keep about 60-65k of them on hand at any on time to make up ar and 308 loads.

I have used Wolf Primers with the same enthusiasm stated above.

I have been told by many people that the Wolf and Tula are made in the same factory and only the packing is different.

I have also been advised by all of the same people to buy the Tula or Wolf Large Rifle Magnum primers. They claim that the only difference is the thickness of the cup; the Magnums being thicker.

I have heard of a few examples of pierced Wolf primers so I followed the advice and loaded up on the Tula magnums that powder Valley had on sale. Thus far, no complaints.

The price of Wolf/Tula primers is certainly right and I've also read good things about their consistency. I've only shot 100 or so and as a result haven't had a chance to differentiate them from the Federal 210Ms for .308. One thing I will say, however, is that without fail 3-4 out of 100 will routinely fail to fit in the Dillon 550 large primer tubes. Can be a hassle at times but not the end of the world.