• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Two separate .223 rifles with light primer strikes.

shooter98

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2013
1st rifle is a Rem 700 with 24” heavy barrel, all factory stock. 2nd is a Mossberg MVP also 24” barrel all stock. Both rifles have been returned and had some sort of repair done to repair this. The Rem they just replaced the fp cuz they said they were too soft out of the box. The Mossberg they replaced the entire bolt group. Both rifles still have light primer strike problems. I have literally tried every brand of .223 I can find available. No reloads. The Rem does it about 30 percent of the time, the Mossberg about 5 percent. Out of all my rifles I have never dealt with anything so frustrating. Does anyone have any ideas? Btw: I am a local ffl and both of these rifles were buy backs from customers whom I sold these rifles to. I decided to try and remedy the issues before reselling these rifles.

My brother's 700 in .223 also experienced light primer strikes with certain primers. We replaced the firing pin spring with a 28lb spring from Wolff which resolved the issue.

Reactions: shooter98
If anyone is interested in an update, since installing the Wolff spring in the R700 4 months ago, it has had 1 lp strike. My customer is very happy about this. Thanks again guys.

Reactions: M1ke