• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Ultimatum Deadline - why aren't more people building on this?

I ran CCI#200’s with it with no issues.
I really went to the 19# because I knew I’d be shooting a fair bit this winter in eastern Oregon and it can get a bit chilly there.

Personally I’d be a bit leery about an ultimatum without some experience with it because it’s somewhat easy to find reports of people having issues with fit and function.

Other than too long rear screw and mag catch being too tall, what other issues? Mind you, those to issues plague any action that uses a bolt body much bigger than .700.

Anyone have luck running a Deadline in a chassis or stock with a regular 700 clone inlet, not one specifically for a Deadline? Everything bolts up perfectly in my XLR Envy. Sent them an email inquiring about modifying the mag catch and they said they'd be happy to send me one to modify but unless they inlet a chassis specifically for the Deadline I will have constant feeding issues due to the dimensions on the opening on the bottom of the action.
The whiskey 3 will bolt up just fine, only need to trim the catch. By extension I would assume the X-ray and bravo as well but don’t quote me on that I only have a W3.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
The whiskey 3 will bolt up just fine, only need to trim the catch. By extension I would assume the X-ray and bravo as well but don’t quote me on that I only have a W3.
The XLR Envy fits great. I had to take some sandpaper to the rear action screw but it didn't take much. XLR customer service is just telling me it will never feed correctly in their standard R700 clone inlet due to the dimensions of the cut out on the bottom of the action. I need to figure out how to shorten the mag catch so I can test it I suppose.

Thanks for the tag! The differences between the R700 SA ACC inlet and the Deadline specific inlet are as follows:
  1. A change in the bedding system to better support the rear of the tang, for the additional material removed in order to run a .850" bolt body.
  2. A shorter rear action screw counterbore, due to the fact that the cocking piece on the bolt is ~2mm (0.080") lower on the Deadline (and other 3 lugs).
  3. A 2.5 mm (0.100") shorter magazine latch as the Deadline has a built in "mag stop shelf" at the rear of the action, to reduce the chance of bolt blocking (not something other 3-lug actions have, but I wish they did).

Hope this clears some things up :)

Josh

@MDT_Josh - Would a standard R700 fit ok in an Ultimatum inlet chassis? I ask as I am looking at an ultimatum but if I dont' like it I'd want to go back to a standard 700 footprint. If I can get a chassis inlet for the Ultimatum but also be able to fall back to a regular 700 footprint without having to buy another chassis, that'd be perfect.

@MDT_Josh - Would a standard R700 fit ok in an Ultimatum inlet chassis? I ask as I am looking at an ultimatum but if I dont' like it I'd want to go back to a standard 700 footprint. If I can get a chassis inlet for the Ultimatum but also be able to fall back to a regular 700 footprint without having to buy another chassis, that'd be perfect.

Yes, that would be no problem, you'll just have to use some slightly different hardware (mag latch and rear action screw) but it will be a drop in fit :)

Josh

I bought an Ultimatum Deadline back in April with the 6mm CM barrel. It is a great action (my past experience with REM 700 and AI AEII) smooth with 60 degree throw. I got the barreled action and I have been pleasantly surprised it shoots 5 to 7 round groups between .40 and .80 with Fed Match, Prime and Hornady Ammo at 100 yards. I put it in a JP APAC chassis which I really like.

I really don't like this action. I have one and I think it's likely the worst I have ever used. I paid way more than a Sako action and the Saco is much better. To explain, the initial movement of the bolt is heavy and slow. It takes way too much effort to pull it out of the slot. Once out it's smooth but doesn't feel good. Hard to explain it but almost feels like it's restricted. Whereas a Sako and many others have that glide feel. Dropping the arm back in is also tedious and not great. Takes way too much effort. I cant imagine trying to do a few shots fast in a row. On top of all this, there are quality problems. Mine fell apart after the first use. The bolt brake level pin and spring fell out when I was just moving the bolt at home. If anyone wants a good deal on one, let me know. ;)