Under Loading?

Re: Under Loading?

With some of the slow powders,4831,4350 etc. it is absolutely bad form. The old reloading manuals contain horror stories about handloaders grenading perfectly good rifles with squibb loads. A friend of mine did destroy a nice mauser, his right ear drum, and the right lens on his shooting glasses. The cause? About 30 gr. H4831, a surplus 165gr 6.5mm bullet, fire forming 06 brass to 6.5 Gibbs. P.O. Ackley's explanation was that the small charges flash rather than just burn in a normal manner.

If you intend to use fractional loads for flash suppression, subsonic projectiles, or recoil reduction purposes, you need to go to a entrely different class of powder burn rates.

Pistol/shotgun powders in load ranges somewhere around 20-40% of normal rifle powder charge weights, as a VERY raw estimate, are called for.

For example, for 52SMK/.223, 7gr of Unique, for 52SMK/.22-250, 9gr of Unique. These loads are reasonably accurate gallery loads, but have no ability to buck wind at 100yd, in a standard length rifle barrel.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For example, for 52SMK/.223, 7gr of Unique, for 52SMK/.22-250, 9gr of Unique. These loads are reasonably accurate gallery loads, but have no ability to buck wind at 100yd, in a standard length rifle barrel.

Greg </div></div>

Greg, where can a person find this data? Is cast bullet load data a good place to start?
Thanks

What im trying to do is shoot a 270WSM at regular 270 speeds. I have a remington TI short action set up really light for hunting. Shooting 3500FPS is hell on my small frame and also on accuracy from a kneeling, standing or sitting position.

Im using 51g of Varget, 130gr Barnes tsx, getting around 2950FPS. Out of the vise im getting some really good groups.

This sound really strange or anyone try anything similar?

That's a load I developed myself. I couldn't guide you, I don't know any myself. If I did, wouldn't have had to do my own developing.

All I knew was that Alliant themselves recommended Unique for fractional rifle loads. I figured that what I needed was to revise my thinking and consider the load developent to be like working up pistol loads for the particular bullet weights, only with huge cases.

Unique lends itself to such largely empty case volume applications.

Never, never, never, ever, ever, ever try fractional loads with slow powders and heavy bullets. You can hurt yourself that way. Trust me on this. Folks will argue about this, but I've seen guns blow up for all sorts of reasons, some of which never did have sensible explanations.

You play the handloading game long enough and you will probably see things that leave you scratching your head. Heeding warnings like this one will give you a better chance of continuing to have a head to scratch.

Maybe this can provide you with a starting point for your research.

Greg

EOS,

The lee manual has a section on reduced loads. Others do as well. I noticed they had a descending ladder of Varget (for example) that went well below the understood minimums for the .308 Win in the usual bullet weights.

Powders like SR4759 were created for reduced loads. Not to be confused with SR4756.

Go carefully.

What happens::

If/when the bullet starts to slow down while in the barrel, the supersonic blast wave reaches the back of the bullet and reflects backwards through the barrel, detonating the remaining unburnt charge. Also known as Secondary pressure Peak: See::

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/barrel.htm

Not recommended unless the gun is being held in a vise and you are outside of flack range.

Thus, if you want a slow bullet, you need a powder designed to move a slow bullet so it creates a nice smooth pressure curve that looks just like the pressure curve for a normal fast bullet, but over a longer duration and at a lower peak pressure.