• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Unertl Spotting Scope on eBay for a steal...

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Reactions: RTH1800
Yes that is a beauty. Thank you for the alert.

I'd likely be all over that but about two years ago I bought a new old stock M49 and it replaced my Kowa.

Like going from a nice luxury sedan to a model T but that Model T can be loved for its "good enough" aspects without the weight and bulk.

I look at celestial stuff now with the kids using the Kowa and the M49 packs everywhere I need a spotter.

^^^ I have both. The M49 was the subject of a restoration thread here a few years ago... before Scout. It's still great.

The Unertl is like going from a Model T to a Turbo Bentley. They are fantastic.

I keep thinking I should sell my M49... but I am attached to it. Carried it on duty for almost a decade. AWP... go for the Unertl... you won't regret it?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Went at the start price. One bid. Good deal.

Had my M49 out yesterday with conditions good enough to see .223 shot holes at 300 yards (white board with shoot n C).

Im sure this Unertl is a better scope.

How do the M49 and this compare size wise? Im guessing the magnesium/aluminum M49 beats it at less weight.

Im guessing one of these wont fit an M49 transport can despite the similarities of the tripod and general appearance of the two scopes.

Last edited:
No problem i'll do a partial write up with all the requested data once it arrives. Heading out with a few friends to our longer range on the 26th if the weather stays nice & will do a comparison review on both out to 710 yds. My aging eyes have issues with contrast which is the main reason I bought the Unertl.

If good things come in threes......

141ED536-C4AE-4764-AEA2-D846B13CEAFC.jpeg

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/steiner-24x80-spotting-scope.6886213/#post-7046866

Than seeing as AWP and I have our new slightly better than M49 scopes someone else will be in for a deal.

Maybe a new optic for Sirhs MG?

Got my "new" to me scope the other day and though its not as finely machined nor probably as optically nice as the Unertl its an improvement slightly over the M49....

Giving the leather case a little bit of Pecards Leather Dressing to feed it and keep it supple. The front objective cover is a little loose but I tightened it up with a yellow rubber band, giving it a high explosive designation. Thinking to just add some "hundred mile per hour" tape to the lens cap so as to increase the friction fit. I have a Butler Creek objective cover coming to use on the scope ocular. Glass is nice and blemish free. The rubber armor is olive drab so that makes this "tactical". Im probably already a better shot just for owning this.

P5167930.JPG

Footprint of the M49 and Steiner are close....

P5167931.JPG

The Steiner wont fit on my tripod right side up due to the screw in rail mount but fortunatley the German designers made the prism work either rightside up/upside down and when I look through the upside down scope things still look right side up - Genius!

P5167932.JPG

P5167933.JPG

The image has a nice "collage" effect to it. Each detail of the image looks super imposed on the image behind it. Focus is quick and sharp. Glass isnt the best but its good enough.

P5167934.JPG

Only thing Steiner could have done better was instead of attending the Wagner Festival in Bayreuth they could have spent an hour or two adding a reticle to the scope and it would be a perfect light spotter.

I have a very good little spotter that is unusual. It’s a Schmidt and Bender. Draw tube 15-45x60. In a leather tube and like new. Packs up to about 4”x 11”. Extended its 22” or so. I need to use it more. Excellent optics.

I have a very good little spotter that is unusual. It’s a Schmidt and Bender. Draw tube 15-45x60. In a leather tube and like new. Packs up to about 4”x 11”. Extended its 22” or so. I need to use it more. Excellent optics.

Would like to see pictures.

Sounds like you could wear an eye patch/wooden leg and look Pirates of the Caribbean correct.

Lots of neat stuff out here that history has left behind or just nevercaptured the public.

Here is the preliminary data on the Unertl 24x63 versus the M49 scope:
Unertl is 38.25 oz versus M49 @ 27.8oz
Unertl with sunshade closed is 16.25" long versus M49@ 14.75" long; Unertl with sunshade open is 18" long
Unertl external dim is 2.75" versus M49@ 2.5"
Unertl internal ID 2.5" versus M49@ 2.24"; approx. Obj. lens size
Top of the scopes prism assy to the bottom seems to be the same 3.5"

I was wrong that the freeland tripod would fit my M49 tripod case, the cradle would have to be removed & installed to fit it, not worth the effort.

The Unertl certainly seems to have the same eyebox as the M49, a very short eye relief. My glasses just about touch the eyepiece on both.

The preliminary testing was done looking at some trees about 50 yds away, through double pane windows at my house using the tripods. I also tested them outside using a semi supported position " lawnmower handle" looking at the same trees. The Unertl certainly has more contrast than the M49 & also seems to have a sharper image. I won't know 100% how much sharper the image is until I'm able to use both scopes at longer distances. It should be able to resolve .223 holes better at distance based upon the above.
20180520_142722.jpg
20180520_142206.jpg

I finally got the time to compare the Unertl to the M49 @ 710yds. I had 2 people providing feedback on the perceived resolution. Both of us feel the Unertl has better contrast & a sharper image. With my eyes the Unertl seems to have approx. 10% better contrast while my friend who has younger/better eyes says 5% better contrast. Both of us feel the Unertl is certainly worth the additional $300 cost versus the M49. Keep in mind that the Unertl cost me $650 + shipping & the M49 sets I have were about $350 if I remember correctly. While I will never get rid of my M49's, the Unertl will be the scope in my range bag when I need a spotting scope for longer distances when looking at .22 cal holes.