Fieldcraft Unexpectectedly need to make a hide for a precision rifle class, any recommendations?

Narwhal

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi,

I'm taking a precision rifle class and as part of the class need to make a hide and attempt to evade detection. We are setting up to hit a target that will be 100-600 yards away depending on where we choose to make the hide.

Basically the area I have to hide in looks like this:

55L_07.jpg

except it's a little greener right now due to it being late spring.

Since we only have about an hour to make it once we get into the field, I was thinking of making a belly hide. Unfortunately I don't even have any camo, much less a ghillie suit as I wasn't expecting to do this.

I was thinking of just making the belly hide by digging out as much turf as I can on the spot where my body and rifle will lay, picking up some camoflauge netting like this (if I can find some in the appropriate color):Camo Unlimited Pro Military Camouflage Netting, 9' 10" x 19' 8" - Walmart.com and trying to weave the turf I dig up into the net somehow, and maybe even wrap some netting around my body and rifle? It's a black R700 with a black suppressor so I'll have to cover it somehow.

Any ideas are appreciated, obviously I really know nothing of fieldcraft. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Do you have to get to the FFP w/o being detected?
GI socks will hide the can, barrel, an scope. Place a lady's nylon hose over the objective, or close the cap and drill a 1/2" hole into it. In a pinch a GI Tee shirt while cover the rest of the weapon. A issue mosquito net in local trim will do a very fine job for your body, and if you do it right will cover the weapon as well. Do not allow the muzzle to be behind or within 2-3" of the net, with a brake 8-10". Even with the can on wet the dirt 12-16" on front of the can before the shot. You can do this by pouring water on the barrel and letting it drip off where you need it if you can't reach or spit it that far. I carried a 5' long 3/8" hose that was used for many things.

Thanks for the recommendations. The lady's hose is something I will definitely pick up.

Nah, we don't really have to worry about being detected after we shoot I don't think, and the firing point is wherever we choose it to be from.

I'd estimate that it's a 50 acre area. It's a square with the east half consisting of brush like the picture above and the west half is a mowed grass field. The target will be atop a berm at the north end of the area. We are supposed stay in our hide after we construct it. We also fire from our hide, we aren't supposed to stalk or move. It's very flat so if I go in the brush I will have to be near the "treeline" to be able to see the target.

There will be spotters/with binocs on near the target area looking for us for an hour, they will direct a man via walkie talkie to inspect areas they think look suspicious. If we get spotted we don't get to shoot. I don't think we have to worry about detection after the shot though. After an hour the spotters leave and we can shoot. Once the shot is fired the drill is over.

Do not be any where near the tree line, be either deep in the woods or in the field. Me I'd take deep in the woods, gives you many more options before and after. Also shadows can be your best friend if you play them correctly. Don't transform into tree cancer or a hump in the field. Ditch banks work well also. Plan on getting bug bit, but in your case I'd spray down before getting local, that would help somewhat. If it was real smells can get you a toe tag, quick.

if you're going to do any digging you need to be aware of placement of your displaced material. In addition, you need to be well aware of natural shapes and man made shapes.

If you're going to get under any grasses, cut a layer--like you'd cut a square of St Augustine grass.

Use natural vegetation for your concealment...even netting looks unnatural to the well trained eye.

make sure your hide blends well with the wind.

just my .02 after a few drinks...

too bad you don't have more time, I'd suggest building a fake hide that is kind of obvious and stick a fake gun barrel sticking out (black dowel rod), get an old boot to stick out of a corner.

Use depth, put something between you and the observer, like a shrub, or a large tuff of grass. Cut a small shoot hole in it and get behind it like 10M or more. Make a ghille veil or smock thing. Pull it over your head and rifle.Use lots of natural cam as opposed to netting or burlap.

Well I'm pleased to report that the hide was a success. I set up the hide 175 yards to the northeast of the target and "won" the competition between my teammates for seeing who could get the closest while avoiding detection. Five spotters with binocs and spotting scopes on top of the target berm were unable to spot me or my two teammates, who had separate hides.

I just used a leaf suit like this:

10048758.jpg

and a camo face mask.

I setup the hide on the back side of a slightly elevated hill between two trees, with some mesquite branches about 15 yards in front of me that initially obscured the target slightly. I cut back just enough branches to give my scope and muzzle a clear path. Then I setup a barrier of reeds in front of my position, it was easy to detach them from the ground and stick them into a new place where I wanted them. Next, I cut some branches off scrub trees behind me that matched the color of the weeds I was in, went prone, and laid them on top of my rifle and body. I used some camo tape to attach various leaves and sticks to my rifle and scope.

I took one shot at 175 yards and successfully hit the 6" target circle, which was center of mass on an 18" silhouette.

Thanks for the advice and input.

Last edited: