• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Update: AccuTrigger -Firing pin is following.

fockell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2009
SC, Kansas
Savage precision carbine - Firing pin is following when cycling the bolt. Seems pretty dangerous, leaves a small ding in the primer. I bought new, has about 250 rounds through it. Will take it apart and try to fix it, but did not know if this is something I should send back to Savage to have repaired. Thanks Brandon

Re: Savage 10 AccuTrig. -Firing pin is following.

I'm no expert gunsmith but I had that problem and I'll try to help. Open it up and check the spring on the side of trigger assembly and make sure they're straight and not touching the walls. I also switched to a lighter bolt handle from SSS and I can go lighter on the trigger now without tripping it. At 5lbs though IDK I might send it back?

This is a VERY COMMON problem with the accutrigger. Seems everyone wants you to increase the trigger pull weight to 'fix' it. It may make the problem go away but now you have the inconvenience of a heavy trigger. Don't know about you, but I reserve 5 pound triggers for my pistols. Anything more than 2 pounds on a precision rifle is too much, as is any creep. I doubt your trigger is any more than 3 pounds, but that's still too much. I prefer about a pound.
What's happening is the trigger isn't returning to the fully cocked position when you cycle the bolt and the sear slips past the locking groove in the trigger and jams against the accublade.
IMO, the only real fix for this is to replace the trigger with a better one and I cannot think of a better trigger(for the money) than the sharpshooter supply competition trigger. It is what I Have in all my savages now. They are fully adjustable and I have mine breaking like glass at about 1 pound. They have never failed me.

Thanks for the info bodyworks, will likely replace it. The trigger really is 5 lbs, I thought it was heavy from the factory intentionally. I bought this to hunt with so I wasn't real concerned with the weight of it. Are those triggers you are talking about something a gun smith needs to put in or are they more of a drop in. Thanks again, I knew I should of bought another gap, everytime I get behind this rifle that thought goes through my head.

It is a simple bolt on for the most part. You will need to dremel a small area of the trigger bracket but it only takes like 3 minutes and is in the instructions. If your bolt release is in the trigger guard there is more stuff you have to do but I can help you with that. The SSS goes up to like 2.5-3 pounds and I'm sure you could get a heavier spring if you wanted.

Update: Dissassembled rifle tonight, found two contribuiting factors to the failer. First thing was that the compression spring directly below the safety was not in it's intended keeper. This is what made the trigger pull too heavy (5 lbs)
The fact that the firing pin was following was what caused by the sear groove was full of debri. Cleaned it all and assembled, now has about 3 lb trigger. Still plan on replacing it, I see midway has the Timney triggers on sale for Sept. Are these any good in the Savages, or sould still go with the SSS. Thanks Brandon

let me suggest this first. now that yours is fixed and cleaned you should be able to dial it down to 1.5 pounds. i believe all of the model 10 rifles go that far down. and they say in all of the literature that they leave the factory at the lightest setting.

its a fine rifle man, everyone here with one has really been happy. some dont like the trigger but no one liked the glock either. give it some time, save your money.

oh also, what did you meal the pin is following? its protruding from the bolt when its cocked? or when closed? cant that be adjusted in the firig pin assemmbly? i just got one and i havent had a chance to look at it yet. im just not familiar with that term

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update: Dissassembled rifle tonight, found two contribuiting factors to the failer. First thing was that the compression spring directly below the safety was not in it's intended keeper. This is what made the trigger pull too heavy (5 lbs)
The fact that the firing pin was following was what caused by the sear groove was full of debri. Cleaned it all and assembled, now has about 3 lb trigger. Still plan on replacing it, I see midway has the Timney triggers on sale for Sept. Are these any good in the Savages, or sould still go with the SSS. Thanks Brandon </div></div>

Skip the Timney. It's not much better than the older style 3-screw Savage trigger.

The only other trigger that competes with the SSS is the Rifle Basix SAV-2. Even then, for the money, the SSS can't be beat.

Had the same problem. Even had it fire out of battery! Sent it back to Savage, they replaced the entire trigger group and then some. (EXLNT Customer Service! Thanks Joe) At the back of the manual they caution about dropping the bolt with too much force on "target/tactical" rifles with the Accutrigger. I was forced to up my trigger weight just a little. But the SSS trigger might be a good upgrade.

Thanks guys, I will give it another chance to fail me and if it does I will replace it with a SSS trigger group. I have been shooting 210's & 220's out of hit, recoils a little much but I enjoy the knock down power of the heavy bullets. Thanks _Brnadon

Failed me again!! Thought about sending it back to Savage, but I don't want the hassel. Ordered a SSS trigger group from Brownells yesterday. Hopefully this will fix it up, any tips/tricks to installing one of these? Thanks Brandon

They go in pretty easily, just make sure you see how it goes together before you take it apart... lol otherwise it makes it a bit of a trip.

You will like the trigger I think.

there is no hassle, savage just fixes it. but either way, glad your getting it fixed. its worth the postage to get it fixed and then sell it off. better than tossing it in a junk box

hey look in smithing. force multiplier is looking for accu trigger parts i think

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 331V8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They go in pretty easily, just make sure you see how it goes together before you take it apart... lol otherwise it makes it a bit of a trip.

You will like the trigger I think. </div></div>
The 10pc has the bolt release in the trigger guard. This makes installing the SSS trigger a good bit more involved than most.
You have to modify the bolt release button and bracket. It is tedius in that you need to remove just enough material on the button to clear everything without removing too much or you will compromise the integrity of the button. On the spring bracket you have to remonve the spring entirely and the section that holds it. Not a big deal, as the sear spring will keep the button in place. Here are a few pics - the spring bracket:
2010-07-18090817.jpg

The button. You have to remove the back half of the button entirely, like 3/8" of it I believe, and channel out the rest of it just enough to clear the trigger assembly. It is important to keep the sides intact as much as possible as one of the sides is what pushes the sear back to release the bolt:
2010-07-18090642.jpg

And a view looking at the back side of the bolt:
2010-07-18090722.jpg

I got the new trigger group in this morning, took me about two hours. I was a little judgemental of your parts you worked on, however mine turned out about the same. Trigger really is nice. bodwerks, I owe you a special thanks for providing the pics and the fungus. Thanks -Brandon

Doing things with the Wife yesterday. Plan on shooting after the game today. Been working up a 208 Amax load, plan on killing a whitetail with one this year. As far as the pics, my parts looked alot like the ones above. ^^ Brandon