• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Night Vision Upgrading from StingIR to NOX18?

mikefraz

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2013
I currently have the AGM StingIR 640. It’s my first and only thermal. I use it handheld about 90% of the time, and then as a clip-on 10% of the time. I have the AGM/ADM flip to side mount that allows me to go from day optic to clip-on ready in no time at all. It’s a good solution.

I find that the FOV of the StingIR leaves me wanting more. I also find myself wanting a better and bigger image. In the NOX18 that big of an upgrade in the image quality department from the StingIR? I see that the FOV is a little wider. How is the physical screen size (not talking about resolution, but the physical dimensions of the screen)?

I understand that the NOX18 can’t be used as a clip on, but I feel like perhaps having an offset/angled picatinny mount for the NOX18 to use for the 10% of the time I actually want/need to take a thermal only shot may be worth the trade off for the better handheld performance?

Has anyone had hands on experience with both who can give me their opinion?

This may not be all that helpful, but I can only compare a NOX with a Skeet IR and the display seems a bit larger on the NOX (the device as a whole is larger). Because of that size (around PVS-14ish), it would seem pretty bulky to have one mounted on an offset.

Reactions: mikefraz
The nox does a really good job in the role it was designed for. The screen feels bigger than the sting when using it on a helmet. I haven’t been overly impressed with the image clarity compared to some of the other thermals I’ve used but it’s more than sufficient.

Also, it’s not a clip on but you can use it in front of an lpvo. Just don’t use the scope reticle, use the thermal reticle. Not ideal but it works in a pinch if that’s not your main usage.

The nox does a really good job in the role it was designed for. The screen feels bigger than the sting when using it on a helmet. I haven’t been overly impressed with the image clarity compared to some of the other thermals I’ve used but it’s more than sufficient.

Also, it’s not a clip on but you can use it in front of an lpvo. Just don’t use the scope reticle, use the thermal reticle. Not ideal but it works in a pinch if that’s not your main usage.
I have ran a 3x magnifier behind mine. Works great.

For what it's worth I run my NOX18 on the helmet 100% of the time. I frankly don't love how it works as a weapon mounted thermal, but I really do like how it works on a helmet. Some have said the lack of true 1x optical can be an issue if running bridged, but I don't do that (single monocular while I'm yote hunting to keep things light and easy).

The FOV on the NOX is fantastic and detection is as good as a 640 thermal with that FOV should be. I've not played with any of the newer 640 HMTs, but I wouldn't hesitate to run the NOX if you want the BAE core and don't mind spending extra