Used Too Small a Bushing & Neck is Undersize

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
I used a wrong size bushing in my Wilson Bushing type Full Length sizing die when loading my 6.5CM. There is about 0.005" neck tension on it. For details on how/why see: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...ss-w-force-measurement.7230208/#post-11751443

Anyway when inserting the bullet with a arbor press it takes a lot of force (about 150 lbs.) and when the bullet finally moves it jars the press & instantly drives all the way down. I loaded and shot 30 rounds like this & accuracy was good. I have another 60 cases that are sized & primed. Even if I get a larger bushing, it will not expand the case & I don't want to go to the effort of using a ball expander (and I don't have one for a 6.5 CM) & then run it through the sizing die again (these cases are already primed).

Any damage to the case or issues in forcing in the bullet with too much neck tension?

Just seat them on the normal press if youre worried about maxing out the hydro.

Or get a ~.262 mandrel and open just the necks a couple thou.
1725553729882.png

If you need to, bump a bit of chamfer on the case neck... or use your primer pocket crimp remover tool to put a bit of chamfer in.

It's not going to be an issue. 'Might' take a reload out of your brass. But doubt it.

You should be GTG.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. A bit of graphite or lube (I mean don't lube it... but if your fingertips that seat the bullet are oily... that will do it) will help the boolits slide in. All good.