• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Using GI Bill to pay for shooting schools ?

Scatt_Nasty

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Huachuca, AZ
Being that we have so many vets/AD on here I'm curious to pick some of your brains in regards to the GI bill. I am ETS'ing soon and heard some rumors of people using their GI Bill to pay for various shooting schools. I need to figure out the loop holes and see what they will pay for and what they won't.

I got the MGIBill for about 70k when I enlisted, and from the brief research I've done the MGI will pay for "vocational" schools however the Post 9/11 won't pay for dick unless it comes with a degree. If anyone has some info please lmk, I wouldn't mind attending the GPS defense sniper school, or maybe some magpul classes on the .gov's dime.
wink.gif

Re: Using GI Bill to pay for shooting schools ?

Nope....I was told they will only pay if you are on your way to a degree....now if you find a school that you can get a degree in rifle building....well then there you go....cause...I mean you DO have to test fire the rifles you build you know...LOL...

Edit....I have a PRE- 9/11 GI Bill and the above is what I was told....mainly because there were a few things that my College that I got my Degree from had a couple classes that I thought were interesting....and they said NOPE....

IIRC I was told my pre-9/11 GI Bill would pay for "trade" schools that help me in my current occupation.

I never tried to float a shooting school through the system. I wish I had thought about it (mine recently expired) because I could make a very good case that Instructor Schools are required for my occupation.

The best way I've found to get shooting schools on the government's dime was through the National Guard.

It takes a bit of salesmanship on your part, plus it helps if you know a bit about budgeting. If you can do a budget, and can sell it, you can sneak it in you units budget.

Works for marksmanship compitition also. The thing about budgets in the military, they will let you sneak anything in because they figure they can take the money for other pet projects. BUT, as soon as the budget is approved, put in the RFO (request for orders), that freezes your money so they can't use it for something else.

Learn Budgets and salemanship, you can write your own ticket.

Gibill will cover some of the schools that are trades that equal to a degree or diploma. But if you enroll in any college the gibill gives "You" the money and you can use it as you see fit. Im using the Gibill to help with some of the expensise for gunsmithing school and saving some of that for a good shooting school when im done with gunsmithing

A little of topic but a few guys used the post 9/11 GI bill while they were in our Police Academy. So they got payed from the job and from the gov. Plus since they are on a Field Training Program (FTO) for 16 weeks, they keep getting paid buy the GI bill. I am our VA rep and after a few meetings they are now getting the GI bill for One year after the Academy since they are probationary officers and they are "still learning". This is great. 54 grand in the academy and 65 grand when they graduate from the PD plus the GI bill. Just some info.

From my experience with Vocational Rehab, The GI bill, and other aspects of college life both in and out of the military. The Voc Rehab will pay for trade schools, ie mechanic, gunsmith, computer etc. or a college degree to help someone get a full time job where a degree is a requirement. The GI bill would pay for similar schools in a similar fashion but you have to check with the schools to make sure that they will take the GI bill. I went to a Concealed carry course on the GI bill but the course was considered a phys ed elective at Troy state university.