Rifle Scopes USO advice.

Daps!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2010
Lacey, WA
I'm in the process of saving for a scope and I know USO's are top notch, but I'm probably only going to be able to afford a used one. So with that being said anything I should be on the look out for with USO's? Also what are some of the options that are a must and what are nice to haves? I just don't want to spend a bunch of money and be disappointed. I dont know if it matters but my project build is as follows Remington 5r mil-spec in .300WM on a AI 2.0 chassis with a badger ordinance 20MOA base. Thanks in advance for the input.

Re: USO advice.

Might want to take a look at all the reticles on the website, and pick a couple you think you like. Decide mil or moa as well. 3.2-17 or 5-25 yaddi yaddi. They really have so many options you have to research it yourself.

More importantly, track down some guys who run USO's and fiddle with the scopes before you buy. Who knows, you may not like them. Doubtful, but you never know.

Also, if you aren't in a hurry, call em and request a payment plan with them to get the build rolling for a new one.

Do you really want a USO? Not saying they are bad, just that there are several different brands of scope out there all with different knobs and reticles so before you spend your hard-earned $$$$ you really ought to make sure that's exactly what you want.

I have a 300 win mag sendero which may be going into an AICS soon, and if I were shopping for a scope for it my top two choices would most likely be the Nightforce 5.5-22 and Razor HD 5-20.

I have owned several USO's. First decide if you want mil or moa adjustment knobs. Which ever you decide make sure your reticle matches your knob calibrations.My personal preference is for the Tpal paralax adjustment but ERGO would be cheaper.I think the EREK elevation knob is a must have.I prefer the higher magnification scopes 3.8x22 or 5x25. It is nice to have a lit reticle. As far as objective size 44 or 58 my preference is 44mm. Hope this helps.

I guess I've been vague in what I'm looking for. What I need is things or conditions I need to watch out for in USED ones like certain years where quality was not as consistent or certain conditions that indicate possible mechanical failure. I pretty much know what I want in the scopes. Still on the fence with the mil/mil or MOA/MOA. Currently reading the sticky on the topic but it's math intensive and my little brain is weary from pulling this 24hr staff duty shift on Christmas eve. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just look for "US Optics" on it somewhere. If it has any issues whatsoever send it to them, PERIOD.
</div></div>
This. John and the crew are good people and will take care of any issues that arise with a US optics scope.

Too good of people some times. Its a good thing they have people to let them know when they have someone lying to them for personal gain on their hands.
Stick to what you know.

Ergo is the adjustable objective, and the EREK is the elevation assembly.

The Ergo objective can be added to a fixed objective scope (parallax adjustment is either Ergo=adjustable objective, T-Pal=side focus, or fixed=no parallax adjustment-objective set for a set distance).

The EREK assembly cannot put onto a scope built with #1 or #3 elevation turrets.

Regardless, get the EREK knob on your new/used purchase.

Don't worry about math and go mil/mil. Disregard the naysayers.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too good of people some times. Its a good thing they have people to let them know when they have someone lying to them for personal gain on their hands.
Stick to what you know. </div></div>

+1

Steve, are we going to continue my training this weekend so I can ask for free stuff???

They are great people at US optics. If you do go used and have an issue which i highly doubt there will be an issue they will take care of the problem for you. And another thing any one that has a 3000.00 scope they bought new the person is going to take care of it. So a used scope would be the way to go. I bought a used T-pal from a member here and i have not regretted it one bit. US optics are excellent scopes. Here check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88ewpwPTA6Q

Daps!

I own two USOs - a 1.8-10 on my semi-auto and a 3.2-17x on my bolt. My advice:

3.2-17x - on a limited budget, this one will offer a wide enough range of mags to do just about anything your 300WM will do.

ERGO - it works great and there is no need to spend the extra cash on TPal

EREK - get it. Huge upgrade over the other elevation knobs, worth the extra cash, especially given the ranges your 300WM will be capable of.

Windage knob - standard one is fine.

Illumination - probably don't need unless you are doing a lot of shooting in early morning or late evening or you live an a very cloud area.

Reticle - 100% your choice. This also requires a lot of thinking. Run thru a few of your likely shooting scenarios on each reticle in your mind. Are you likely to do a lot of holds on the reticle in which you need speed? If so, one of the numbered reticles is probably for you. If you are a benchrest guy, shooting Fclass, than probably not.

Finally, don't forget a good set of rings...

Good luck with your purchase.

Fine choice...even better folks to deal with...and I have bought all mine used, a couple off of here. I would suggest the 1.8-10 and the 3.2-17 for your application depending on the amount of mag you think you like. 10x is plenty for long range unless you are looking for a purely target application. Go with Ergo and EREK...the rest is personal choice. With the horsepower to shoot more than 1000 if you ever opted to stretch it out I would choose the 3.2-17. I prefer mil/mil...you will have to decide your preference just be sure your knob adjustments match your reticle subtensions ie. mil/mil or moa/moa and not a mix of the two and life will be easier. The GAP reticle is what I like on all mine.

Plenty of good info form most everybody!

I run the Tpal and Ergo, but have to confess the Ergo is my preference. I find it possible to shoot a match with the Ergo set to be parallax free on the shorter targets of the day and not have to touch it at all for the duration of the match. The TPal is like most side-focus scope ans will need tweaking as the ranges change for a clear parallax free sight picture.

Now is a great time to order, as USO is getting th escopes out relatively quickly (6-8 weeks).

before you say you will be looking for a used peice get your self a quote from rw snyder i got mine from him and would tell you that i got a more than fair deal you might find you will get exactly what you want for a very simalerly priced used one that you will be compramizing on your ideal specs good luck but do your self the favor and atleast check!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deerhunterjj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">US optics are excellent scopes. Here check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88ewpwPTA6Q </div></div>

Next time you want to abuse a scope that the company will pay to fix for you, keep it bolted to your rifle. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure USO is who conducted this test, not Goin'Hot.

If you can decide on what you need/want and watch the for sale section like a hawk there are great deals to be had but they go in minutes. I would personally stick with USO, nightforce. When I go to shooting comps they make up the vast majority of what I see there with NF being the most common. I asked alot of owners who have alot of hands on with most common brands and they all pretty much said these two brands were the way to go. The S&B were also highly recomended but I do not see too many of them (I think mostly for cost reasons).
I think both companys have good solid reputations for precision and customer service. I am a believer in the buy once cry once idea. It is tough to come up with the money but once you do it is well worth it. However it will make you disapointed with your other scopes once you do so, be prepaired to get more than one.

USO is a great American company. You won't be disappointed with whatever you choose from them. They're one of the few companies i know of where the owner will respond to you directly and in a timely fashion if you have a problem.

Go with Erek knob, huge improvement over standard

On my list for a used USO are:

Mil/Mil
34mm tube
Gap Mil reticle
ERGO

3.2-17 is a very nice range, and
the EREK is a bit funky to zero but I do like the knob itself.

If I were you I would look for a used old USO: I should never have sold my old one; the 'old man' was a mad genius!
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Storm Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely MIL/MIL, do it right the first time. GAP reticle (red illumination) is my favorite USO Reticle!
</div></div>

Just 'cause you haven't tried the MPR
wink.gif

But seriously-the GAP is the best 1/2 mil demarcated reticle I've seen, I just love the MPR with its tighter breakdown. I really like it when doing "no dial" holdovers-make oddball numbers a breeze!