• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Utah Shootouts Practical Precision Rifle Match Jan. 4, 2014 VIDEO

desertratdad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2005
SLC UT
www.utahshootouts.com
Thanks Clayne B for the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i8o9W1ygtk

Utah Shootouts Notice 12/17/2013

This is the email I just sent out to all my shooter contacts.
If you want to be put on my email list, just email me.

Jan. 4, 2014 - Practical Precision Rifle Match
North Springs Shooting Range, Price, Ut
Pay the range office $7 daily range fee
Match sign in by 10:00 am
Pay $20 match fee
Bring 50 Precision Rifle rounds
Shoot time 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
2:00 pm hot lunch included with match fee. If it's super cold we can do lunch half way into the match.
We'll shoot anywhere out to 1000 yards.

We are fine tuning the schedule for 2014. It should be posted soon. If anyone has input for next year, suggestions or offers to help please contact me. The more help - the better the matches.

The Tactical Trauma Class is full. If you want to be put on the stand by list please let me know.

Always visit Utah Shootouts Home - monthly events - for the latest updates.

2013 has been a year of a lot of work for a lot of people. We spent 1000's of dollars and 1000's of hours to improve the North Springs Shooting Range with target systems. It was a great range before, but we made it a lot better for Practical Shooting. There is still a lot of work we will do Over the Edge and another big idea or two. So stay tuned.

There will be a need for volunteers to help with range upkeep next year. The county is cutting back even more with the paid help. It will be through the county and Scott at the North Springs Range. I've been a official county volunteer for most of this year. I love working for free. I'll be driving out to Price this Friday to a Carbon County Volunteer Open House. I'll get contact information and details to post for anyone interested.

I won't try to name everyone, but all those that put in time, effort, money and otherwise supported Utah Shootouts and the practical shooting sports this year, Thank you very much.

See you on the range,
Clint

ps
It's in the works to have our own Utah Shootouts Series for 2014. Finishing up the details but already have some prizes donated specifically for the end of the year.

Last edited:
Have at least a half dozen on the list for Jan 4.

We are working out details for a Utah Shootout Series and schedule for next year. If you have any requests for this, speak up now.

Rodney was kind enough to move his matches to the 3rd Saturday so I can move mine to the 1st Saturday. That leaves the 2nd and 4th Saturdays for Eric to do 2 matches per month next year. When you see Eric don't let him tell you no.

We will plan a match every month through Sept. It will be Practical Precision Rifle only, Carbine - Pistol only and some matches with all three guns. What do you think? They can all count for the series or which ever ones people decide and how many count. What do you think?

September match will be the 13th and 14th for the Utah State Sniper Shoot. I gave that date to the county a few months ago already. We Could finish the series after Sept. What do you think? We should get this all decided by this week end so I can post all the info and people will know what we are doing next year.

Thanks,
Clint

This is the tentative schedule for 2014. I'll post it permanently soon, when we get a few more details worked out.

Our series (have't decided on a name for sure) will be 8 matches. Jan thru Aug. Best 5 of your scores.

clayne_b could you put your design for t shirt up here?

January 4 - Practical Precision Rifle
February 1 - Carbine & Pistol
March 1 - Practical Precision Rifle
April 5 - Practical Precision Rifle, Carbine, pistol
April 12 - 3rd Annual Beginner Rifle Clinic.
May 3 - Practical Precision Rifle
June 7 - Team Event - Practical Precision Rifle, Carbine, Pistol
July 5 - Practical Precision Rifle
August 2 - Practical Precision Rifle, Carbine, Pistol. SERIES AWARDS.

September 13 & 14 - 6th Annual Utah State Sniper Shoot

October 4 - TBA
November 1 - TBA
December 6 - TBA

We'll probably be involved with Snipers Hide "Tactical Rifleman's League" TRL.

Both of these series are for those interested. If you are not interested, it will not effect yours or anyone's shooting in a match. But you can still win awards in our series monthly matches.

Thank goodness we have help to do all the extra record keeping, awards, prizes, etc. I could not and would not do it myself. Thanks to these people.

I went to the range today and talked to Scott and also the "Volunteer" lady at the open house. Damn it, I forgot to call you Ron while I was there. The whole volunteer issue is a big mess. There is so much red tape it is pitiful (my spell checker says that is a word). We have been very good about cleaning up after ourselves but for those that can stay a little longer or come early and pick up crap like targets and backers that get blown all over the range, shovel snow, or anything else we can do to keep the range one of the cleanest and best looking ones in the country, would be a very good thing.

Last edited:
This is info about the Utah Shootout Series this year.

Each of the 8 matches will have a total of about 500 points. We do have a mix of matches, no question about that. The schedule is up a few posts here in this thread. Precision only matches will be 50 rounds, 10 pts poss. ea. round, equals 500 pts.

The last few years at the state shoot it has worked out very well to have precision rounds worth up to 10 pts, with carbine & pistol worth 1 pt ea. Hence 80 percent precision, 10 percent carbine and 10 percent pistol, approximately that is. That's the way we'll score the 3 gun ones for the series.

We haven't decided a round count for the only carbine-pistol match in Feb but it will have a max total of about 500 points also. So it could be a 3,4 or 5 points per round match.

So a shooter can pick out the matches, any or all and we'll take the best 5 scores and add them together for the total of the series. Ron has gathered several prizes already for the series finale in Aug.

For the team event, each of the 2 shooters of a team will use their team score for their personal score for the series.

Any more questions just ask.
Clint

This is info about the Utah Shootout Series this year.

Each of the 8 matches will have a total of about 500 points. We do have a mix of matches, no question about that. The schedule is up a few posts here in this thread. Precision only matches will be 50 rounds, 10 pts poss. ea. round, equals 500 pts.

The last few years at the state shoot it has worked out very well to have precision rounds worth up to 10 pts, with carbine & pistol worth 1 pt ea. Hence 80 percent precision, 10 percent carbine and 10 percent pistol, approximately that is. That's the way we'll score the 3 gun ones for the series.

We haven't decided a round count for the only carbine-pistol match in Feb but it will have a max total of about 500 points also. So it could be a 3,4 or 5 points per round match.

So a shooter can pick out the matches, any or all and we'll take the best 5 scores and add them together for the total of the series. Ron has gathered several prizes already for the series finale in Aug.

For the team event, each of the 2 shooters of a team will use their team score for their personal score for the series.

Any more questions just ask.
Clint

So if you don't get to 5 matches for the series no problem. You can still get bragging rights and awards for each match. Ron had some money donated to pay for these awards. The awards place is closed till after new years so Jan awards will be delayed a bit.

1-4-14 Scores - Practical Precision Rifle

1 - Marcus 453
2 - Russ - 420
3 - Curtis - 419
4 - Spencer - 413
5 - Greg - 397
6 - Ron - 379
7 - Lynn - 375
8 - Ross - 368
9 - Alan - 367
10 - Kent - 362
11 - Cory - 361
12 - Austin - 339
13 - Bryce - 329
14 - Steve - 313
15 - Pat - 308
16 - Craig - 239
17 - Robert - 291
18 - Eric - 274
19 - Shane (N?) - 267
20 - Jim - 220
21 - Chris - 185
22 - Luke - 183

It was a long (till 5 o'clock), cold (stayed in the 20's F), windy (mostly between 10 and 20 MPH) day, 26 shooters but 4 had to leave early Did Not Finish.

Cold Bore shot was 1000 yards. Curtis hit 7 1/4" off center with Kent at 7 1/2"