Vertical spread past 1000 with 300gn Berger

wadcutter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
NSW Australia
www.austargets.com
I have just recently started to shoot the 300gn Berger Hybrid projectile out of my .338 Edge rifle.

Now this rifle has proved very reliable and consistent out to near transonic with 93gn of H1000 and the 300gn Sierra Matchkings but with the new 300gn Bergers Hybrids, I am getting vertical stringing with my groups.

I have tried 92gn and 93gn of H1000 and 95gn and 96gn of Retumbo with the Bergers. 100 yard groups with both powders are excellent.

Any ideas?

Re: Vertical spread past 1000 with 300gn Berger

I have been getting a higher ES with the Bergers than the SMK's. Not sure why as I initially used the same powder and the same charge.
I don't get vertical stringing with the SMK's.
Might take a bit to work out these new Bergers?
Wild Bill suggested I try jaming the Bergers into the lands. Going to try that next and see if this helps.

Re: Vertical spread past 1000 with 300gn Berger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had to play with seating depth to get my ES down with the Bergers. Seemed to be jump sensitive. Ended up .020 jump. </div></div>

Hmmmmm, .020 jump.
That's where I'm starting at! Think I will try to jam them in the lands and see how that goes.