• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Viper PST update from Vortex

Re: Viper PST update from Vortex

I hear you. I would *prefer* perfect optics, or at least close. The Razor offers SO much else that the glass is a secondary issue to me.

Having said that, BOTH Sam @ Vortex and Scott @ LO have told me that the Hensoldt has fairly significant CA also. The $1100 4.5-14 IOR I looked at a couple weeks ago did not.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me, the point of buying high end scopes is to get high end glass, there are other scopes out there with a lower price tag that can get me repeatability while sacrificing a little bit of optical clarity. </div></div>

The lower price tags usually sacrifice more than just glass clarity.

Once you reach a certain level of clarity then more clarity will not help you hit the target more accurately. Precise, repeatable turrets and durability will.

I have a question if I may. Does the viper Pst's have better glass than the viper (50mm) or is it the same? Reason I ask is because I just recently purchased a Viper for $280 and I'm definately happy with the glass for what I paid, I'm just not sure about jumping to the $900.00 mark for the same glass with more features or should I just take a hit now and go with IOR or Nightforce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having said that, BOTH Sam @ Vortex and Scott @ LO have told me that the Hensoldt has fairly significant CA also. </div></div>

What Scott @ LO saw was the haloing from a halogen light bulb that was 30 feet away inside a conference center. This halo shows up with a naked eye. The parallax wasn’t set correctly on the scope that he picked up either.

I’d be curious to hear what Sam @ Vortex has to say about CA in our scopes.

If this problem was prevalent in our scopes, where are the posts about "My Hensoldt has the haloing ring around the field of view?" Scott’s “review” was the only mention of this ever.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Austin Cook

ROFL.... To say Hensoldt glass can even be compared to a Vortex is laughable at best...

I've spent enough time behind a Hensoldt to say with 100% confidence, that the glass in those scopes gives up nothing to any other brand out there. If you're going to pick a reason to hate on Hensoldt, you'll have to look at something else other than the glass IMO...

It's like comedy central around here today. In one thread we've got dudes saying that the Super Sniper HD can compete with USO and here we have Vortex v.s Hensoldt?!? And the cited sources of info are the representative of a competing brand and a retailer that couldn't be a Hensoldt dealer if he tried? Nice.

Never been behind a Hensoldt. I hope to rectify that one day.

I have been spending some quality time behind a Vortex Razor and it's quite nice. I recently got the chance to compare it to a NXS side by side mounted up with both at 20X. The NXS was brighter than the Razor but with less contrast. I can compare it to a picture that was overexposed by one-half stop.

However this thread is not about the Razor, NXS or Hensoldt. It's about the Viper PST.

$800 scopes are not $2000 or $3000 scopes. You would be a fool to expect them to perform on the same level. If they did, then the company would be stupid not to charge that for them.

You should expect a good value for your money. From what I have seen of the three Vortex products I use, they deliver that value.

Now if I could get my hands on a Hensoldt then I would be happy to compare the Razor to it, since that is closer to an apples to apples than a Viper is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear you. I would *prefer* perfect optics, or at least close. The Razor offers SO much else that the glass is a secondary issue to me.

Having said that, BOTH Sam @ Vortex and Scott @ LO have told me that the Hensoldt has fairly significant CA also. The $1100 4.5-14 IOR I looked at a couple weeks ago did not.

John</div></div>

I will have to agree with the others that you need to consider your sources when passing on 3rd party info. I like Sam and Scott both, have ordered scopes from both of them and think highly of them both, but I wouldn't ask a Ford dealer if I should buy a Chevy.

I have owned a LOT of scopes and my rifles have seen no less than 2 Vortex HDs, at least 3 SB's, 3 Premiers and now a couple of Hensoldts. I can tell you that they all have their place, I think some are better values than others, but without a doubt the Hensoldts are the highest quality of them all. I have never experienced the CA in my Hensoldts though a rarely use them under the fluorescent lights.
smile.gif

First, Hendsoldt is not going to have CA issues. They've been in optics FAR TOO long to not have the market cornered on glass and optical science.

I'm not saying a thing about Vortex. I haven't seen one, I don't know there story. So if you take this as a "bash Vortex" post you're wrong.

Let's face facts. Germans know optics. They are hands down the most knowledgeable out there. Hendsoldt were building scopes LONG before Zeiss bought them and turned them into their military arm. So I think they've been practicing long enough to know how to set up an optic.

Glass. We've all heard the BS story about glass. It goes something like this. Schott Glass in Germany is a wholly owned subsidiary of Carl Zeiss. Zeiss sells the glass to everyone, because here's the deal; The glass doesn't really matter. Obviously you have to shape the lens correctly but that skill and technology has been around for a long time. It's not hard. The coatings are what makes the difference. I can take the best glass in the world with no coatings and everyone here will say it looks like shit. Take that exact same lens, apply the correct coatings, and it's good enough for satellite optics.

"scopes" are more than glass. Forget the glass and you still get what you pay for.

A while ago I sold Neurosurgical Microscopes. These are microscopes that are free standing, with a 6" main objective lens, that nuerosurgeons used for brain surgery. So suffice it to say that I had to know my optical shit. There were only two players and you've guessed who they were: Zeiss and Leica. And you know what? The glass was the absolute "least" of the issues. It was the coatings first, and then the internal mechanisms. The servos and gyros on these had to be so precise and accurate, it was perfect or nothing. And these are $250,000 scopes, not $2500. Every single piece had a litany of QA checks that bordered on ridiculous but you know what? If that surgeon is working on grandma's aneurysm I know you want everything to be perfect.

Point of the matter is this. Every single piece of a scope makes the scope great. It's not the glass, or the coatings, or the knobs, or the internal gears exclusively. It's the sum of excellent parts that are put together to make an outstanding scope.

So insulting Hendsoldt and accusing them of a somewhat amateurish mistake is akin to saying Goodyear knows nothing about tires.

If Vortex is having an issue and they're fixing it, good on them. But as much as it hurts sometimes, we need to keep reality in perspective and that reality is S&B and Hendsoldt are at the top of the tactical optics food chain and they've earned their place there through decades of trial and testing. Do we know who was building the scopes for the German snipers in WW2? Do we know about the little deal the U.S. had with Nazi Germany for optics? Do we know why the original Schott factory was one of the last ones bombed?

Think about it.

Looked through a Vortex, not bad. I didn't race out and sell my Hensoldt to get one - nor will I.

I highly recommend you stay the hell away from Hensoldt optics; till you actually drive a Ferrari, Honda Civic is pretty kick-ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never been behind a Hensoldt. I hope to rectify that one day.

However this thread is not about the Razor, NXS or Hensoldt. It's about the Viper PST.</div></div>

Lonewolf....hopefully one of these days you can rectify that problem
grin.gif

on the other point. I completely agree with you, this thread was never about the NXS, Razor, or Hensoldt. But when 3rd hand hear say gets passed around like its knowledge, it is kind of offensive. Its even worse when that Hear Say is supposedly passed around from a few highly respected guys in the optics business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cuffm4615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a question if I may. Does the viper Pst's have better glass than the viper (50mm) or is it the same? Reason I ask is because I just recently purchased a Viper for $280 and I'm definately happy with the glass for what I paid, I'm just not sure about jumping to the $900.00 mark for the same glass with more features or should I just take a hit now and go with IOR or Nightforce. </div></div>

Just want to bump this question as I'm also wanting to know if there is any difference between the PST glass and the standard viper.

Flyingbullseye

Just thought I'd chime in and say that I don't recall ever saying anything about the Hensoldt having bad CA. The one I looked through had very, very good glass and I did not see any CA problems with it.

IIRC someone may have mentioned to me that it had no CA at all, which is impossible, and I may have said that it had some. But every optic does to some degree or another. From what I've seen the Hensoldt is well corrected and excellent glass (as if I had to tell anyone that).

Just wanted to put that to rest.

I thought I'd also address the "pink cast" while I'm at it. I'm not sure where people are getting that the PST and Razors are "pink" and that this is somehow indicative of CA. I'm certainly not seeing it when I look through them.

If an optic does exhibit a slight "pink" cast that would indicate to me that the coatings are just favoring a slightly warm tone, not CA problems. Every optic will have variation in how warm or cool the image is. Some are more at one end of the spectrum, some at the other, and some more neutral.

In any case, I see nothing at all in the PST or Razor that indicates any kind of problem in this area. If anything it's very minute differences that have no real world effect on how well the scope will let you shoot.

-Sam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DuaneC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just to chime in here, On the vortex website it shows the viper with regular glass and the PST with HD glass, dont know if there is a diff. </div></div>

Where does it say the PST has HD glass? All I can find is the PST has XD glass same as the standard viper.

Flyingbullseye

DuaneC the Vortex site shows both scopes with XD lenses which is probably what you thought was HD. That being said it still appears as they both have the same glass. SAM@VORTEX perhaps you can elaborate on this: Is the glass on the Viper PST same as the VIPER (50mm) ?

ok my benchmark for optics is sightron

so im hoping glass is as good or better, i have no interest in FFP scopes...each to their own

So is just the FFP scopes that are holding things up?

This whole Hensoldt discussion is my fault for taking peoples' comments out of context. In both discussions with Sam and Scott, the comment was made that ALL optics have CA. In this case they both mentioned that even Hensoldt does. Sorry if this got anybody's panties in a wad. I'll stick to what I've seen and not seen in the future and avoid unwanted grief.

Sorry for the thread derail.

John

Oh... a note to you Hensoldt owners...

It was obvious from this Vortex Viper PST thread (which had absolutely nothing to do with Hensoldt owners, unless you also want or own a PST, BTW) that there are two types of Hensoldt owners here. Those who are rational and can process information in an unbiased manner. To you, thanks for your input. And those who are diehard Hensoldt fanboys. I guess you know who you are. Or maybe you dont.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This whole Hensoldt discussion is my fault for taking peoples' comments out of context. In both discussions with Sam and Scott, the comment was made that ALL optics have CA. In this case they both mentioned that even Hensoldt does. Sorry if this got anybody's panties in a wad. I'll stick to what I've seen and not seen in the future and avoid unwanted grief.

Sorry for the thread derail.

John </div></div>

No worries John. I should have been more careful in my wording to avoid any misunderstanding. I apologize to you for that and will make sure to be more clear in the future.

-Sam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh... a note to you Hensoldt owners...

It was obvious from this Vortex Viper PST thread (which had absolutely nothing to do with Hensoldt owners, unless you also want or own a PST, BTW) that there are two types of Hensoldt owners here. Those who are rational and can process information in an unbiased manner. To you, thanks for your input. And those who are diehard Hensoldt fanboys. I guess you know who you are. Or maybe you dont.

John </div></div>

I'm not a Hensoldt owner, guess I qualify as a "fanboy" though b/c I've actually used their product, and think highly of it.

I love how the word fanboy gets thrown around when someone calls out the ludicracy of negativly comparing a German optics company with over a century of experience, and considered to be be at the top of the heap in the optics world, to the glass on a Viper PST. Now take that as a slam to Viper if you want, but come on. Do you really have to be a fan boy of anything to see how rediculous this is?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both you bitches just have BARSKA envy. </div></div>

FANBOY!!!!!

Shankster nailed it.

jrose,

Go back and read the Hensoldt comments I made in context. I was NOT comparing glass. Certainly NOT Hensoldt to PST. I was responding to the comments about the PST having CA and trying to put it in perspective. Sometimes when we sit on forums too long and discuss optics too much instead of just going out and using them, we get fixated on certain details.

Here's in essence what I was trying to say:

"OK, the PST has some red spectrum CA. So does my Razor HD, but in normal usage, it does not bother me. All scopes have CA. Even the Hensoldt according to people I trust."

It seemed apparent to me that people got offended instead of really trying to understand what was being said. Hence the "fanboy" comment.

There are people on forums who intentionally goad others into internet wars. It is NOT my intention to be that guy.

Sorry if I ruffled feathers. These things are just tools to me and I forget that others have strong emotional connections to brands that have served them well.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having said that, BOTH Sam @ Vortex and Scott @ LO have told me that the Hensoldt has fairly significant CA also. </div></div>

What Scott @ LO saw was the haloing from a halogen light bulb that was 30 feet away inside a conference center. This halo shows up with a naked eye. The parallax wasn’t set correctly on the scope that he picked up either.

I’d be curious to hear what Sam @ Vortex has to say about CA in our scopes.

If this problem was prevalent in our scopes, where are the posts about "My Hensoldt has the haloing ring around the field of view?" Scott’s “review” was the only mention of this ever.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Austin Cook </div></div>

PM sent

Im waiting patiently for the PST's to come out, but I wanted to give my .02 about the glass on the standard Vipers. I bought the Viper 6-20x44 with BDC for a 22-250, I couldnt believe the clarity for a $400 scope. Beats the crap out of my Falcon, and side by side with my buddies NXS 22x its hard to see much of a difference in clarity between the two.

Obviously the reticle in the NXS is much better, and its a little bit brighter also being that it is a 50mm compared to a 44mm objective.

I guess what Im getting at, is if the PST's do have the same glass as the standard vipers I wont be disappointed. I expect that being a larger objective will brighten it up a bit, and it sounds like they are designed optically better even if the glass is the same.

You guys are right, this is getting comical.

We have a representative from a company who has expressly asked me not to talk about them in a public forum, posting about what "I" see or saw in an event that happened 20 months ago and hundreds of miles away from him. Better yet, it's in "my" thread where I'm talking about a product "we" sell.

Since I wrote it, I own it, so let's reprint verbatim the offensive passage in it's entirety that I posted in my SHOT Show 2009 report.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Carl Zeiss Optronics / Hensoldt</span>: After years of badgering and begging, and even questioning their manhood (sort of), the boys at Hensoldt lined up HDC, LLC to bring the Hensoldt line of long range riflescopes to the US. Basically military grade Zeiss, Hensoldt features 34mm tubes and both FFP and SFP configurations. The initial family of scopes include the 3-12x56, 4-16x56, 6-24x56, and 6-24x72 scopes. Quite frankly I was a bit disappointed with the easily visible chromatic abberation and a touch of internal flare when scanning the ceiling and lights inside the building. No question the overall quality is top rate and the big advantage Hensoldt has over S&B is the oodles of reticle travel (a worst case 58 MOA in the 6-24x50 and a best case 144 MOA in the 3-12x56 SFP model (108 MOA in the FFP model) so long range "dialing in" is easily obtainable. Price will be an average MAP of well over $3K, and availability should be 6 weeks from now in a worst case scenario, so if Hensoldt tickles your fancy, contact us ASAP.

The other super cool Hensoldt product is a military grade spotting scope with illuminated FFP mildot style spotter reticle and bulletproof construction and Picatinny accessory rails...but quite expensive at around $4500......

<span style="font-weight: bold">Nathan Hunt, President of HDC</span>, was great to meet and seems to be a fine fellow, so it's time to realize that there are more top shelf choices in riflescopes than ever before...</span>

To be fair, I went and got Ilya Koshkin, from Optics Talk, to look at the scopes and what I was seeing, to confirm whether or not CA was in play here, and it was. I set the parallax correctly at high magnification and low. The purple halos were not visible to the naked eye. Where is the reference to haloing "around the field of view"? Like I don't know what a scope tube and tunnel vision is. I've only been doing this for going on eight years now.

Why would I say "contact me ASAP" if interested in Hensoldt? Because before SHOT, Nathan called me to see if I'd be interested in being a Hensoldt dealer. I wanted to gauge interest. <span style="text-decoration: underline">After</span> my above post, the door was slammed shut, and that was that. So all you guys who are saying sour grapes is what I'm writing above, my report was fresh off the showroom floor, before the drama. Just calling it like I see it, as always.

Yes, SHOT Show is a tough venue to judge optics, especially at the new Sands Venue, but that can't stop me. I've got a job to do. However, the general pattern is optics that shine indoors in a dimly lit venue generally do pretty well outside in the real world. Leica hunting scopes and Sightron SIII scopes come to mind from last year as well as the usual suspects every year.

Now, after all the animosity generated from my 2009 SHOT report, here is verbatim, what I wrote about Hensoldt in my 2010 SHOT report:

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Hensoldt</span>- Ironically, Hensoldt was located right next to Premier for the show (delicious irony for Sniper's Hide members). Both manufacturers were stuck in a ballroom which really didn't do the scopes justice, no way they could stretch their legs, so to speak. I reported last year about purple halos around the point sources of light when looking through the scopes in Orlando, it is apparent to me that the light source definitely had a role to play, as I could not induce this type of chromatic aberration in the current environment. To be sure, Hensoldt does have an "easy" sight picture with "zero" tunnel vision effect, very sweet glass and highly advanced optical systems. For the money, the knobs lack a zero stop and they are nothing special, and the choice of reticles is pretty limited. But the quality is there and Ilya feels these are close to perfection as can be had. No doubt they belong in the top tier of the tactical scope world.

The Spotter 60 has resolution and contrast that is off the charts, but it is $5K+.

For those that have the coin, and are comfortable with the features, Hensoldts won't disappoint. But for "working class" folks the value really isn't there, IMO. </span>

So there you have it.

Unfortunately, we seem to be a society that doesn't speak the truth, doesn't want to hear the truth, nor seek the truth anymore. For those of you on the fence, all I ask is that you seek out my SHOT reports and actually READ them, before arriving at your conclusions. A few are collected on my website for easy reference. These are my words, in writing, for all the world to see. I've done this a service to my customers and the shooting community since like 2003 or 2004, every SHOT trip. Get it from the source, not through "Hear-Say" from some clown that has no idea what he is talking about.

FWIW, I won't be reporting on Hensoldt optics for SHOT Show 2011, not because I have no interest, because I do, but because Nathan has stated that if I visit "his" booth this year I'll be asked to leave. Imagine that, an authorized Carl Zeiss dealer, not allowed to visit the Hensoldt booth. In the interest of civility and courtesy, I best avoid that situation. I do find such behavior very unprofessional. YMMV.

This industry is very small and it's difficult not to cross paths as we go about our daily business, as this thread blatantly shows. But, since my 2009 SHOT report on Hensoldt seems to have generated such an ugly history with HDC, with fallout that continues 20 months later, let's try this:

HDC, stay out of my business and I'll stay out of yours. Stay out of my threads and posts and I'll stay out of yours. Don't have you or your reps post about me and I won't post about you. We'll just agree to disagree, and move on. Let's carry ourselves like men. Fair enough?

Back to our original scheduled thread....

I've heard rumors that the PSTs will be here in about 6 weeks, but I've yet to confirm that with Vortex. We've received very few cancellations to date, as there still seems to be no real competition for the scope in its price point.

Thanks for your time.

Scott

Three things I got from the above post...

1: You're relying on others (Ilya Koshkin) to complete your assessments.

2: Hensoldt changed nothing on their scopes from 20 months ago until now, yet all the sudden the CA are gone and your pleased with them!

3: You will continue to judge optics in this piss poor manner.

While you've been starring through scopes into florescent lights, I've been out shooting with them. While I'm a known USO "fanboy", the glass on Hensoldt's and S&B's are on a whole different playing field. When using them outside in the world, it is readily apparent that the glass is nothing short of phenomenal.

You made the comment, the genie is out of the bottle. When <span style="font-style: italic">others</span> post referencing to your comment about their product, representatives of said product now have the right to defend the truth of their product. It has nothing to do with Scott Berish or LO, there has not been a peep from the guys at HDC about LO until you're review on their product got brought up.

Everyone's not out to get you Scott.
laugh.gif