• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Vortex 2.5-10 FFP vs IOR 2.5-10

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
USA
I am looking to replace the SWFA 1-6 on my SPR with a slightly higher magnification optic. I figure a 10X max will do and am leaning towards these two options. The MSRP price of the IOR is considerably higher, however they can be had for a good bit lower. I've seen some great reviews of the 2.5-10 FFP PST, but to be honest I've never been impressed with the entire line. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the glass in a 2.5-10X44 model and a friend has had reticle issues with a 6-24. I don't have experience with IOR optics, however have read mixed reviews. Some people love them, but a lot of people have reliability issues as well. Reviews from lowlight seem to be especially poor, and he backs them up with why (design reasons).

So basically the short version:

Is the Vortex 2.5-10 PST FFP the same optical quality as the rest of the line (specifically the 2.5-10X44)?
Does the current version of the IOR still have reliability issues?

Two wild cards I may throw in are: SWFA 3-9 and the NF 2.5-10X24/32

I shoot on the low end just as much as the high end of the mag range, so giving up 1X on the low to go from 6 to 9 on the high doesn't seem worth it. Also loses illumination.

I've owned a NF 2.5-10X32 before and loved it. However its priced a bit higher than the other options.

Last edited:
I just got my pst 2.5-10x32 and am very impressed with it. Esp for what I paid. Ive had the 6-24x50 ffp and to me the glass is better in the 2.5-10x32. My buddy also just got the pst 4-16x50 and imo the glass is much more clear in mine. I put this on my ar15 and couldnt be any happier. Just need to get rid of the qd burris pepr, sorry cant comment on the other scope you mentioned.

Attachments

• 20140803_212534.jpg
    20140803_212534.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 12
I can't comment on many of the scopes you mentioned, but I did have my SS 3-9 on my AR for awhile and I had no complaints. It's been my experience that the SS scopes just plain work and the glass is good enough for my uses. The 3-9 has since been moved to a bolt gun and a SS 1-6 put on the AR. I'd certainly put a SS 3-9 on another AR or even look to the SS 3-15 if a little more range is to your liking.

I have one Vortex scope - viper 2-7 which resides on my .22 LR. I won't say it's a bad scope, it works, but compared to my SS scopes it's no contest. Have looked through a couple of Vortex PST's on friends rifles and certainly wasn't blown away. I'll stick with SWFA SS between the two. No experience with the Nightforce or IOR.

If you can't afford a nightforce 2.5-10 then the vortex 32mm model is the way to go. But I've seen plenty of pics of your rifles on this forum and 14forum, I know you've got $$$$ get the damn nightforce.

Ouch. I have no argument here, you win. I actually like the look of the X24 over the X32. Does anyone notice as difference in image between the two?

Yes there is a difference. If size is paramount then x24. If not then go straight to the x42. The x42 is a leap ahead of the x32 in FOV, image, parallax adjustment(awesome for very low light 2.5-4x shots into and around thick brush) and .1" shorter and 1.5oz(illuminated) heavier then the x32

You can say lower mag on the x24 or x32 will do all that but until you've seen them do it side by side under the same conditions you won't know what the difference is.

Yes there is a difference. If size is paramount then x24. If not then go straight to the x42. The x42 is a leap ahead of the x32 in FOV, image, parallax adjustment(awesome for very low light 2.5-4x shots into and around thick brush)

You can say lower mag on the x24 or x32 will do all that but until you've seen them do it side by side under the same conditions you won't know what the difference is.

I don't really like a parallax adjustment on this mag range. The 2.5-10x32 I used to own did not have one and I didn't feel like I needed it. Just one more thing to worry about.

For some reason I haven't been able to edit a thread on here in months on either of my computers.... anyway

If daytime target shooting is your thing then x24 or x32 will be fine. A lot of guys say the x24 is hard to get behind consistently at higher mag but I actually like that about it as long as other factors don't dictate a lerger objective. It makes you get into the same spot

That's what I thought until I got it.

If the x24 is what you want you'll have to be willing to settle for used.

I don't really like a parallax adjustment on this mag range. The 2.5-10x32 I used to own did not have one and I didn't feel like I needed it. Just one more thing to worry about.

I have both. All things being equal, while the Vortex is good, my opinion is the IOR has better glass, a better reticle (i like a floating dot), and better turrets. The IOR sets on my mk12, and has taken a real beating the last few years, so i can attest to the ruggedness of the 2.5x10 anyway. Only you can determine if the extra coin is worth it.

Still haven't decided. At first I was leaning towards the SFP of the nightforce due to the lower mag range, but I have a March 3-24x42 FFP and messed around with it from 3-10X yesterday. FFP was definitely very useable for this mag range. I spoke with Scott at Liberty optics about the vortex and the IOR and he had nothing but good things to say about both.

#1 priority for me though is reliability/durability. Of those two (lets leave the NF and SWFA out for this point) which one would you guys trust more? Nothing would piss me off more than traveling overnight for a shoot or match and have an optic not do what its supposed to do. At the moment, if I decide against the Nightforce, I'm leaning towards the Vortex due to it having similar features at 60% the cost of the IOR. The better glass in the IOR is not a major concern for me, but increased durability(even if a little) may make it worth it.

I looked at the nightforce and thought I'd like to try FFP for the mag range. The biggest hit on the NF is that I just don't like the reticles offered.

When I get home, I will mount the March on the rifle temporarily and see how it feels at low power. Although I liked the SFP NF in the past, I have a feeling I'm going to want FFP on this one.

And before anyone mentions it, no I can't afford another March to throw on this rifle. I'm married now.

I'm leaning towards the Vortex due to it having similar features at 60% the cost of the IOR. The better glass in the IOR is not a major concern for me, but increased durability(even if a little) may make it worth it.

So cost being a slight factor, go with the Vortex. For the cost of the IOR, your in range for the Bushy 3x12 which looks pretty outstanding. IF that bushy was available then, that's would I would have went with.