• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Vortex not zeroing after warranty service?

QPM

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2023
TEXAS
So I had to send in a LHT for warranty service after a failed custom turrent installation resultedin the turret being superglued in a locked position.

Got the scope back and mounted it. 1st range vist had trouble getting it dialed in. Thought maybe it was me. Went back yesterday and was shooting well. My Benelli Lupo with VX-5 printed the attached group so I know I was on. I could not get the LHT to zero again! Right before the mishap that caused the warranty issue I was printing 1/2 inch groups at 200.

So a few questions:

Has anyone had trouble with a Vortex directly after getting it back from service? Does vortex have some kind of recoil machine or something they test these in before they send them out?

I can switch it for a Veractiy I have lying around to test the scope to see what happens.

Should I try to print a group at 50 or 25 or something to see if it might just be me at 100?

Once I started to chase it, the gun did admittedly get hot, but from the outset this seemed to be an obvious issue.

Thanks for any feedback or tips. Right now, I would not take that gun hunting and am trying to find the most efficient way to figure this out.

Attachments

• lupo.jpg
    lupo.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 36
So I had to send in a LHT for warranty service after a failed custom turrent installation resultedin the turret being superglued in a locked position.

Got the scope back and mounted it. 1st range vist had trouble getting it dialed in. Thought maybe it was me. Went back yesterday and was shooting well. My Benelli Lupo with VX-5 printed the attached group so I know I was on. I could not get the LHT to zero again! Right before the mishap that caused the warranty issue I was printing 1/2 inch groups at 200.

So a few questions:

Has anyone had trouble with a Vortex directly after getting it back from service? Does vortex have some kind of recoil machine or something they test these in before they send them out?

I can switch it for a Veractiy I have lying around to test the scope to see what happens.

Should I try to print a group at 50 or 25 or something to see if it might just be me at 100?

Once I started to chase it, the gun did admittedly get hot, but from the outset this seemed to be an obvious issue.

Thanks for any feedback or tips. Right now, I would not take that gun hunting and am trying to find the most efficient way to figure this out.
Double check all fasteners, rings/mounts, etc and make sure nothing else is loose on the gun...If you've already done that and nothing is amiss, call Vortex. No one here is going to be able to help you solve this problem more efficiently than them.

Its not you, its me. Well, first time for everything... screws in the bases worked loose somehow. I use a torque wrench but must have gone a little too easy on them. I like the Talley once piece design, but you can strip the head on the screws if your not careful so I guess I wimp'ed 'em. Im sure the LHT is fine. Oy vey.

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23
Its not you, its me. Well, first time for everything... screws in the bases worked loose somehow. I use a torque wrench but must have gone a little too easy on them. I like the Talley once piece design, but you can strip the head on the screws if your not careful so I guess I wimp'ed 'em. Im sure the LHT is fine. Oy vey.
Is it too much to ask to do basic troubleshooting before complaining on the internet?

Mea culpa, though I wouldn't say I was complaining. Many guns, many scopes, NEVER had this happen so I didn't check it first. Lesson learned and I came back and owned it. I imagine we have all made mistakes along the way.
I am the king of shit coming loose. It happens, I've chased my tail more than once, only to find out something came loose.
I have literally had every screw on a bolt action rifle come loose at one time or another, I'm talking torqued to spec and even locited in place.
I've had the cap screws come loose, the mount screws come loose and even the action screws backed out on me once.

Reactions: Baron23