• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST 4-16 Parallax...?

awpk03s

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2017
Ohio
Got in a brand new PST (Gen I) 4-16 from EuroOptic blow out sale... mounted it, set up reticle focus (white wall, max magnification, infinity parallax, and adjusted eyepiece until reticle sharp and clear).

Next step, I was bore sighting it, and noticed the reticle moving around as I moved my head. I was looking across length of my basement (25 yard distance or so) with parallax at lowest setting (50yds). So, went upstairs to back yard and looked out at real distances, at 8x power, and images were in sharp focus no matter what I dialed the parallax to - the focus didn’t change at all.

This isn’t my first FFP, and I’m used to dialing parallax resulting in a change in the image focus?

Does this sound OK or like something is wrong? Am I doing something wrong?

Mount is Larue LT204, and I tightened to 18 in lbs.

If it’s screwed right out of the box I’m gonna be kind of pissed at having to break out that warranty card right away....

Dial it up to max mag and redo the focus test at real distances. My experience has been that the parallax adjustment doesn't do nearly as much for focus at low power as it does at high power.

Reactions: Afkirby
I took out of the rings, and started over with focusing the eyepiece. By this time it was dark out, so I was stuck with indoor across the basement views. I re-mounted, with the turrets equal spaced between the two rings, leveled and put mount on the rifle.

I set it up on bipod and did more views. The parallax dial from 50-infinity marginally changed the image focus, at varied magnification settings. And holding rifle stable and moving my head, the reticle still shifted, some, but much less than before. And I know my distance was bound to be out of whack to my dialed parallax, because duh I was looking at anything 50 yards away, but more like 20-25.

So, I guess I need to get it outdoors and look some more, and probably shoot it, and see my results.

I was just thrown off by the reticle movement (hadn’t seen that before with my other scopes) and the lack of significant image focus changes with the parallax dial adjustments. ??‍♂️ Maybe it’s normal. If it doesn’t perform I guess I know then what to do.