Rifle Scopes Vortex PST problem?

rwh38238

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2011
Summersville, Mo
Hey guys looking for some input. A little backround on equipment.
1 Savage precision carbine 308
20 inch Barrel
168 amax 2500 fps 20 MOA rail, med. HRT rings

2 Savage 10 action
26 inch Krieger 12 twist
168 AMax 2700 FPS, 20 MOA Nightforce rail, Med HRT rings

Both rifles were 6-24 PST SFP MOA scopes.

Both of the guns have a 200 yard zero. Both scopes are zeroed in the top half of the adjustment range. One scope has 34 MOA up adjustment left the other on the shorter barreled gun has less. To me this does not seem right. I have a sightron 10-50 that has the same base has approx 40 MOA left after 200 Yard zero with close to the same load. The sightron has 50 MOA internal adjustment the Vortex is advertised as 65 MOA internal. Is this normal or has anyone else had this problem?

Re: Vortex PST problem?

34 MOA remaining is on the bottom half of the adjustment range. Also, you have to remember that if the scope points perfectly straight (ie. a perfect, ideal scope with the bore line parallel to the bore axis), the bullet will hit 4-5MOA low at 100 yards due to bullet drop and sight height. So in an perfect situation, you would be zeroed 4-5MOA above mechanical zero. Your Sightron is the anomaly if it has 80% of its total travel in the up direction on a flat base.

Both of the vipers are mounted on 20 MOA bases. So in a perfect world this would be a total range of 85 MOA. I dont think it should take 51 MOA to get a 200 zero. I have 2 10-50 Sightrons both on 308's that are within 4 MOA and both are on 20 MOA bases. I think the rings and sight height could account for this. I do not want to bash on vortex as I have not been able to make contact with them yet. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I know there are guys out there that are shooting them on 308's that have shot them to 1000 Yards. You will have to have more than 34 MOA to get a 168 amax to 1000 Yards. Thanks for replies.

How tall are your rings? You're making me a bit nervous here, I have the 16x version of this scope (slightly more travel) and I'm going to get it sighted for the first time on Monday.

Small aside but with 65 MOA of travel, a 20 MOA base should ideally give you a total of 52.5 MOA of total up elevation

I understand the tolerance problem. We had this problem with some bases not actually adding 20 moa but even it added 15 moa. This still would be in the upper half of the adjustments. The scopes have very little windage dialed in them. I have a viper HSLR 4-16 that I have not sigthed in yet. This is 2 pst's that were ordered 3 months apart.

Thanks for the replies!

Got my 4-16 FFP PST out for the first time today, sitting on a 20 MOA base I have 18.3 mils of up elevation in the scope with a 100 yard zero. Specs say that there are 21 mils of travel in the tube so I couldn't be happier.