• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Vortex Viper 6.5-20 for CZ 452 American?

725franky

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2010
Michigan
Does anyone here have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 on their rimfire?

I'm thinking of getting one for my CZ but I'm kind of concerned about the parallax / focus only going down to 50yds. But before I get one for it I want to make sure it's going to work well.

Any input is appreciated.

-Frank

Re: Vortex Viper 6.5-20 for CZ 452 American?

The parallax on mine can be set at slightly less than 50. I also do not shoot less than 50 on targets so it is not an issue for me. As far as tracking goes my 6.5-20 is spot on.

I think you will be fine from 50 out, dont know if I would use the 6.5x magnification for less than 50yds. If it was a 4x I think less than 50yds would be a concern. What is your general purpose for the scope/rifle combo?

I had one of these on a savage btvs 17hmr and loved it, but shot 50-200yds bench and prone only with it. They are great scopes for the $, also have one on a 308 rig and a 6.5 creedmoor.

Too much magnification, in my opinion. I can't see anything more than 10x for a 22LR. Most of my 22LR shooting is at 2-3x which is plenty out to 50 yards. Only dial my scope up to 7x at 100 yards.

If you want to shoot to 200 yards with a 22LR and a good scope rail, I can't imagine using over 10x on the top end.

6.5-20 on a 22LR...what are you shooting...gnats?

Hell, my 1100+ yard 5R 308 only has a 3.5-15x50mm NF NXS on it. 15x is plenty of magnification for shooting out to 1200 yards on anything bigger than a bobcat.

-David
Edgewood, NM

The Viper 6.5-20x50 is a great scope, tracks good and glass is very good. It will focus just a bit less than 50 yards. I have one on my TR and it has been fantastic and yes, I do like the magnification when I shoot at farther distances. You can always dial back if don't want all the magnification.

That being said, if you intend to hunt at less than 50 yards (or for that matter less than 100 yards) perhaps it isn't the scope to fit your needs. I would suggest looking at something with a little less magnification on the lower end, perhaps in a 3x or 4x bottom mag. Even a good 2.5-10 power range if you can find one.

What magnification will I need to see my shots at 200yds? I had a 4-16 Millet scope on my Savage MK II BV and even when (target) shooting at 50yds I left it on 16X; but that scope is getting ready to go back for repair. If Vortex offered a comparable scope to the 4-16 millet I probably would go with that.

Yeah, I guess I should have said that I was just looking a the regular Viper line not the PST's; they're just a little too expensive for me right now.

Thanks for the suggestion though.