• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Vortex vs hawke vs falcon

Dfarmer786

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
Az
Hello I'm new here and have been reading and searching for about a month now and need help with an optic selection. I have a Remington sps tac .308 that I need a scope for and it will be used hunting and target shooting. Max distance is 600yds until I clear more brush at the ranch. I work for a small sheriffs dept and get a small paycheck so I'm in the 400$ price range for now until I save more and learn and get better. I like the menace 4-14x44 but read alot of people having problems returning to zero. The vortex viper 4-12x40 or 6.5-20x44 seem close to the hawke sidewinder tac-30 4.5-14x42 or 6.5-20x42 any opinions will help as well as other optics like Burris or bushnell elites in the same price range. But I want the target turrets on whatever I buy for this rifle. Thx for your time

Re: Vortex vs hawke vs falcon

I own Hawke and its great target scope. Though i don't think you can go wrong with Vortex or Bushnell. Of those listed i'd buy Hawke (based on my experience with it and considering thin target reticle).

I am new here as well. I researched quite a bit and asked a similar question. One member recommended a bushnell 4200 3-12x44. The scope is now discontinued but are still available at midway for less than 600. I know it is out of your price range but I have researched this scope and many hide members consider this optic to be very good especially at the discontinued price of over 200 off. Maybe you could hold out a bit longer to make your purchase.
Good luck

I bought the bushnell from natchez for $550.00 to my door and it took about five days. I am happy with the scope so far only shot at 100 yards to zero then sent my rifle to be coated.

I currently own the viper 6.5-20x44 and love it. However, If you don't need a variable power scope I would strongly consider the original super sniper for $300. I had the 16X and loved it. It had over 100 MOA of adjustment and the glass was good enough for any shooting that I was doing. Only got rid of it because I needed a variable power scope. I will be buying a 10X if I need another scope in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dfarmer786</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello I'm new here and have been reading and searching for about a month now and need help with an optic selection. I have a Remington sps tac .308 that I need a scope for and it will be used hunting and target shooting. Max distance is 600yds until I clear more brush at the ranch. I work for a small sheriffs dept and get a small paycheck so I'm in the 400$ price range for now until I save more and learn and get better. I like the menace 4-14x44 but read alot of people having problems returning to zero. The vortex viper 4-12x40 or 6.5-20x44 seem close to the hawke sidewinder tac-30 4.5-14x42 or 6.5-20x42 any opinions will help as well as other optics like Burris or bushnell elites in the same price range. But I want the target turrets on whatever I buy for this rifle. Thx for your time </div></div>

Dfarmer, did you ever decide on a scope? You make us here in CT marvel when you say "Max distance is 600yds until I clear more brush at the ranch". I REALLY wish we had these problems here. Thanks for the post. I've gotta move to Montana or something.....

I am very happy with the Vortex scopes that I have. I have also had good luck with Bushnell. Camera Land was running a big sale as well as Midway, Nachez and some others.

I'm still saving some money. Gotta boy on the way that'll be here next month so money has been going other places. I really want the viper but id like to have mil/mil or moa/moa so I'm looking at the menace. Also I saw a nikon monarch 4-16 mil dot for 365 at a gun show if it's there next mth I'll get it. And I said 600 because my range at the ranch only goes that far lol