• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing wanting a better barrel

darth_ritis

money hater
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Jun 19, 2013
    Frederick, CO
    I have a Remington 700 SPS in 7mm-08. The original barrel is a thin hunter barrel with a 1:12" twist. :( I want a more precise barrel, with better heat dissipation and a faster twist to stabilize heavier bullets (168 SMK or 162 AMAX if I can ever find some).

I'm thinking of getting a Kreiger barrel with 5R rifling, fluted, threaded, target crown, in either 1:8.5" twist or 1:9". I'm not sure whether to go with the light varmint contour or the heavy varmint - I don't want to add too much weight.

Does anyone see a major malfunction in this plan? Do any 7mm shooters have thoughts on an optimum twist rate?

Last edited:
    Depends on what you plan to use the rifle for.
    Is this a hunting carry gun or target gun?
    Assuming your threading for a can and 5/8x24 threads, you will want a minimum diameter of .700 at your proposed finish length to allow enough shoulder for a can to snug up to.
    You will be fine with either twist.

You could keep the weight down by shortening the barrel and forget about the flutes.

True, a shorter barrel will be lighter than a fluted longer barrel. I want to strike a good medium here because I like fluted barrels and I want enough long range precision to consistently enjoy hitting 1000+ yard steel targets. How short is too short for that use?

I did a medium palma on my last build to save some weight. I'm pleased with the results. It was a Bartlein 25" and it handled nice. Still plenty heavy, shot nice little groups and didn't string ever when it got hot. Had a nice balance point right around the mag well and was noticeably lighter than a standard varmint profile. Originally left it at 25" to see how it handled there and figured it would make its way down to 22" but it never did. Plus I was abl to keep my velocity from the extra length. Probably gonna stick with Palma profiles from here on out. To hell with straight tapers.

I did a medium palma on my last build to save some weight. I'm pleased with the results. It was a Bartlein 25" and it handled nice. Still plenty heavy, shot nice little groups and didn't string ever when it got hot. Had a nice balance point right around the mag well and was noticeably lighter than a standard varmint profile. Originally left it at 25" to see how it handled there and figured it would make its way down to 22" but it never did. Plus I was abl to keep my velocity from the extra length. Probably gonna stick with Palma profiles from here on out. To hell with straight tapers.

I'm doing a build right now with a med Palma at 22"+muzzle brake length. I am thinking it should handle quite nicely and shooting .308 still yield decent velocity.