• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Weatherby Vanguard 6.5 Creedmoor Rifle, $799.99, is this a best buy?

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
Hi, wondering what your experience or thoughts might be with regard to the purchase of a Weatherby Vanguard rifle, particularly as they're comparatively inexpensive. CDNN has them now for $799 which sounds pretty good.

I had considered purchasing an MPA rifle or perhaps a Bergara rifle for shooting paper and steel targets from 100 yds to 1000 yards (not for hunting)....and while i'd love to get a premier custom set up in the many thousands of dollars our fiscal reality makes this very unlikely if not impossible.

Still, i'd hate to purchase something that would leave me wanting. I do enjoy trying to effect small groups on paper.

I guess i'm asking, is this a good compromise or is it penny wise and pound foolish? Will it be upgradable, easy to rebarrel when the time comes and have the potential to upgrade should i ultimately choose to do so....or should i wait another year and see if other possibilities arise?

thanks

Assuming you’re talking about this:

Which is the Weatherby Vanguard Modular Chassis

These Vanguard series are made by Howa, which is a well know entity. See the Howa 1500 threads as they should be directly relatable to the vanguard.

Something interesting is the #3 contour listed in the description? Which is more of a medium weight contour instead of the #6 contour commonly found on the Howa chassis variants. Something to keep in mind for a target gun.

Making the assumption that you are pretty new, then this would be a good start. I doubt you would be able to shoot the peak performance out of the gun.

799 isn’t a bad price. I would personally change the stock out, but that’s just me.

Add Howa 1500 options to the list and look for deals on them. You can even buy barreled actions from Brownells and buy a stock/chassis of your choice.

I've had a Tikka and currently have two Howa's; as far as groups goes, its a wash. The determining factor was the shooter (me), not the rifle.
A Tikka, Howa, or Bergara; it doesn't matter as much as you'd think.

In both the videos, the rifles are shooting very well. Whats the common denominator? The guy behind the trigger, Frank. HE is what makes the rifles work.

@want2learn if you really want 2 learn you'd be better served spending your money on one of the aforementioned factory rifles and as much as you can on the optic. (Instead of something custom right off the bat) Then any additional money you have you can buy more ammo (which adds up very quickly) or even a training course.

Putting in the time and effort to shoot out a factory barrel will also help you determine if you want to re-barrel it or not, OR step up to a custom/MPA.

Consider a Ruger Precision Rifle. Upgradeable if it matters, decent price entry point, good performance.

I think as important the rifle, budget for a good scope. You cannot hit what you can't see. Get one with matching turrets, mi/mil (mrad).
This is a good sport, and you're always learning. People here real willing to help.

Consider a Ruger Precision Rifle. Upgradeable if it matters, decent price entry point, good performance.

I think as important the rifle, budget for a good scope. You cannot hit what you can't see. Get one with matching turrets, mi/mil (mrad).
This is a good sport, and you're always learning. People here real willing to help.
if you plan to upgrade, just save. by the time you add a new stock, handguard, arca rail, barrel, you could have bought an origin and prefit barrel and thrown it in a bravo/oryx/etc and had a custom rifle.

if you plan to upgrade, just save. by the time you add a new stock, handguard, arca rail, barrel, you could have bought an origin and prefit barrel and thrown it in a bravo/oryx/etc and had a custom rifle.

sheeeit, at that point just upgrade that to an AI. (and S&B and Spuhr). Hide purchase from wife.