• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Well, Gentleman, I Finally Ordered Alpha Glass

JS8588

Ballistic Hipster
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2020
NEPA
Currently the highest quality scope I own is a Steiner Predator 4 2.5-10x42.

EuroOptic had a Demo Zeiss V8 1.8-14x50 available for a little under $2200 shipped. I'm a sucker for FUDD reticles (Duplex/German #4 etc).
I've lusted over a Zeiss V8 for about 6 years now even though I've never had one in hand.

This will cost me anything else in the Fun budget through Q1 next year, but I'm hopeful it'll be worth it.

It will be going on a RECCE/Mod H-ish build that has a 16 inch Heavy Nitrided LW 50 barrel.

So, outside of the FUDD reticle, which I know isn't to the taste of y'all here, how'd I do? Anyone else own this scope & have experience with it?

Last edited:
Reactions: markl323
The guys from Ovini Expeditions seem to do just fine with those setups and they dial for distance. Some of their scope were pretty well used. They always shot at base camp and didn’t have a zero shift. It’s in their videos. Bushnell must be a sponsor now. I saw a couple videos where they had a Forge on top of their Blaser 🤣. They had to rezero.

Reactions: JS8588
I have 3 of the South Korean Forge scopes. A 1-8, 2-16, and 3-24. Very good for the $, but they're boat anchors. I've focused on Bang-For-Buck glass heretofore. Bushnell gives a lot of it. I'm excited to see how I feel about a real top-tier scope.

Last edited:
Sounds like you did pretty good to me, amazing price on a seemingly great scope. I've been curious about the V8 1.8-14x50 as well as the Swaro Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 as MPVO options, will be curious to hear your thoughts once you get it. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you will be pretty blown away at the difference between your Predator and the Zeiss, not saying anything is wrong with the Predator but the Zeiss is on a whole other level. Just be sure to setup your diopter correctly.

Sounds like you did pretty good to me, amazing price on a seemingly great scope. I've been curious about the V8 1.8-14x50 as well as the Swaro Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 as MPVO options, will be curious to hear your thoughts once you get it. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you will be pretty blown away at the difference between your Predator and the Zeiss, not saying anything is wrong with the Predator but the Zeiss is on a whole other level. Just be sure to setup your diopter correctly.

I discovered my options for mounts are either a ~$400 Eratac or ~$600 Spuhr.

Well, I should be able to afford to have it mounted on the rifle by Spring 🤭

Eh, it's only money and we only do this once.

Reactions: AK74U
Yes the original was 36mm. New ones are now 30mm. I had one of the 1.8-14x originals and they're awesome. Pretty beefy for a hunting rifle but i loved the illumination and mag range. Image quality is top notch and good low light performance. Only thing i didn't care for was the 1/3 MOA clicks and the bdc turrets you can trade out didn't work to my rifle's dope. Ended up selling my rifle so i sold that scope. Kind of regret it actually.

1726538197865.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Yes the original was 36mm. New ones are now 30mm. I had one of the 1.8-14x originals and they're awesome. Pretty beefy for a hunting rifle but i loved the illumination and mag range. Image quality is top notch and good low light performance. Only thing i didn't care for was the 1/3 MOA clicks and the bdc turrets you can trade out didn't work to my rifle's dope. Ended up selling my rifle so i sold that scope. Kind of regret it actually.

View attachment 8503449
I'll find out tomorrow!

Currently the highest quality scope I own is a Steiner Predator 4 2.5-10x42.

EuroOptic had a Demo Zeiss V8 1.8-14x50 available for a little under $2200 shipped. I'm a sucker for FUDD reticles (Duplex/German #4 etc).
I've lusted over a Zeiss V8 for about 6 years now even though I've never had one in hand.

This will cost me anything else in the Fun budget through Q1 next year, but I'm hopeful it'll be worth it.

It will be going on a RECCE/Mod H-ish build that has a 16 inch Heavy Nitrided LW 50 barrel.

So, outside of the FUDD reticle, which I know isn't to the taste of y'all here, how'd I do? Anyone else own this scope & have experience with it?
If you've never looked through one, just go ahead and prepare yourself now... There's no going back to cheap shit scopes. You will be able to see things you never were able to before through that scope. The V8 scopes are insanely nice glass.

I discovered my options for mounts are either a ~$400 Eratac or ~$600 Spuhr.

Well, I should be able to afford to have it mounted on the rifle by Spring 🤭

Eh, it's only money and we only do this once.
ARC M-Brace is better than both of those... And half that price. Spuhr is known for cracking.

Reactions: Taylorbok
  • Haha
Oh, I've read the reports here on the Spuhr. I'm leaning Eratac just because I *want* QD
Your scope should be 30mm but ARC also makes the M10 QD-L mount in 36mm and this is a QD style mount, it is not cantilever but shouldn't be an issue on a large frame AR, I’ve used that mount just fine on many a large frame.

Yeah, but I'm putting a German #4 on a "tactical" rifle. That's frowned upon these days.
That German #4 will be easily visible, without the need for batteries, in all environments, and work well under stress.

If we go to war tomorrow in triple canopy jungle we will see how quickly 20+ years of desert daylight combat and PRS matches have warped our collective sense of what a globally-useful reticle is.

-Stan

That German #4 will be easily visible, without the need for batteries, in all environments, and work well under stress.

If we go to war tomorrow in triple canopy jungle we will see how quickly 20+ years of desert daylight combat and PRS matches have warped our collective sense of what a globally-useful reticle is.

-Stan
This is why the March Dual Focal Plane reticle is so awesome in their 1.5-15x. Best of both worlds no batteries needed and super easy to see at 1.5x and all the benefits of a FFP reticle at 6x-15x.

-Stan
This is very much my thinking with sticking to simple reticles with my scopes. I live in PA. 556, in a 16 inch Carbine, has a MPBR of 300 yards. I'm not likely to ever need to make a shot beyond that. A Duplex or #4 style reticle should do just fine.

Your scope should be 30mm but ARC also makes the M10 QD-L mount in 36mm and this is a QD style mount, it is not cantilever but shouldn't be an issue on a large frame AR, I’ve used that mount just fine on many a large frame.
Arc still makes that? Huh. I though everything they made went to the MBrace style now.

Arc still makes that? Huh. I though everything they made went to the MBrace style now.
Still have it on their website...

I wish they would offer the QD-L option in the M-Brace as I love the quick twist thumb wheels, RTZ has been decent but I can also torque them if I want to, best of both worlds...

Reactions: carbonbased
It was waiting on the table for me when I got home tonight.

First of all, it is the 36mm tube model. It came with rings.

Now, just looking through it across my dining room isn't going to tell me much.

First impressions? I like it. Love it, even. The illumination is Red dot bright unlike every other scope I own.

If I paid $3k+ for it, well, it would probably be getting returned. I do need to take it outside. I know it's going to show me levels of detail at distance I just won't get with the budget stuff.

For what I paid, I'm happy. My next optic purchase will likely be something in the $1k-$1700 bracket. Leaning towards a Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x56. Maybe a Trijicon Credo.

Reactions: Glassaholic
In lieu of the other deal listed above being 36mm only, seems like Zeiss is trying to blow these out to make way for the 30mm? Good to know they came with 36mm rings, that's a nice touch, are they Zeiss branded rings?