• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Wet Tumbling / SS Pins

Interesting. Have you ever tried turning a case neck (skim cut) to see if neck thickness is changing? May just be the GT has more tolerance in the chamber neck(?). There's a lot of variables here, so I'm just posting what I have seen and can demonstrate.

Let me be clear. I'm not saying I'm right, or that you're wrong. Only that I have seen evidence that leads me to believe that peening does occur, and can cause problems, at least in my rifle and chambers. (6.5 CM)

I'm not doubting the peening thing though I haven't seen it outside of a few case mouths with very minor nicks that may very well be from tumbling. Then again - I'm not looking for peening. I anneal after most firings and run them through a Giraud trimmer every other or so just to clean up and chamfer.

I'm curious though, how long do you wet tumble?

I only go for 20 to maybe 30 minutes. This is for my cases that are pretty clean to begin with. If things are muddy I'll go a bit longer.

I'm not doubting the peening thing though I haven't seen it outside of a few case mouths with very minor nicks that may very well be from tumbling. Then again - I'm not looking for peening. I anneal after most firings and run them through a Giraud trimmer every other or so just to clean up and chamfer.

I'm curious though, how long do you wet tumble?

I only go for 20 to maybe 30 minutes. This is for my cases that are pretty clean to begin with. If things are muddy I'll go a bit longer.
I run a similar process to yours; decap, clean, trim (Giraud), anneal, resize (no expander button), then mandrel neck expand. (If I'm lazy or have a lot of cases to do, I'll do the last two steps on a Dillon with Autodrive.)

I typically wet tumble for 30-45mins, with McGuire's synthetic wax car wash soap and lemishine. No pins these days, though early on I used pins.

Reactions: Herb Stoner