What 20-25MPH breeze does to a 300gr SMK at a mile

diego-ted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
Diego-Town
We were ringing steel early in the morning while there was no breeze out to the mile target, this is a shot with the same dope against a 20-25mph breeze. 300gr SMK pushed by 87gr of H-1000 powder. Savage 338 lapua. Click on image for vid.

later after dope adjustment, you can hear the hit 20 seconds into the recording.

Re: What 20-25MPH breeze does to a 300gr SMK at a mile

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We were ringing steel early in the morning while there was no breeze out to the mile target, this is a shot with the same dope against a 20-25mph breeze. 300gr SMK pushed by 87gr of H-1000 powder. Savage 338 lapua. Click on image for vid.</div></div>

diego-ted, just curious as to what velocity you're pushin' those puppies out at?

that sure looked like a miss with a dust cloud? or did you post the wrong video.

Also, you might try shooting prone... your rifle is going to bounce all over the place on that plastic table. Basic precision rifle techniques involve loading the bipod on something stable, if at all possible.

It also involves knowing when the trigger will break, "not a surprise". That'll work fine whitetail hunting but not long range precision.

1st vid is a miss! LOL 2nd vid was a hit,just bullit fragmentation. We has two range finders and measure out to 1k and from 1k to 1750 then in reverse on the way back. That table is pretty stable but we shoot prone as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1st vid is a miss! LOL 2nd vid was a hit,just bullit fragmentation. We has two range finders and measure out to 1k and from 1k to 1750 then in reverse on the way back. That table is pretty stable but we shoot prone as well. </div></div>

sorry, didn't click on second video... still I can't believe you get any hits at all off the table, watching how the rifle is moving around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> still I can't believe you get any hits at all off the table, watching how the rifle is moving around.</div></div>

Bullet is already in flight by the time 98% of the recoil is felt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alpine 338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> still I can't believe you get any hits at all off the table, watching how the rifle is moving around.</div></div>

Bullet is already in flight by the time 98% of the recoil is felt. </div></div>

I don't know about 98% but would agree it's a majority. However I could be easily convinced that whatever is left before the bullet has left the barrel could very easily throw off trajectory by an MOA or more. Hitting a 1MOA target at a mile is difficult enough without adding a wobbly shooting platform to your challenge.