• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What a waste- Pentagon to destroy $1B in ammo

We (taxpayers) own it since we paid for it...they should allow us to reclaim it. I'd be in for a few cases of 556, 762, 9mm and 45acp. All they need to do is let me know where to pick it up.

Thats everywhere, here surplus is being exported to Czech republic and Spain to be destroyed (as local destruction team blew themselves up because whey were fooling around and now policy is to export for destruction) and funny thing is this same ammo for which our beloved leaders paid to be destroyed was at least in part repackaged and sold as milsurplus by those who should destroy it...

If anything stupidity is global and runs strong with officials all over the planet.

Report: Pentagon to destroy $1B in ammunition

"The report illustrates the obsolete nature of the Pentagon's inventory systems for ammunition. A request for ammunition from the Marine Corps, for example, is e-mailed to the Army. The e-mail is printed out and manually retyped into the Army system because the services cannot share data directly. Not only is this time consuming, but it can introduce errors — by an incorrect keystroke, for example."

The taxpayer gets shafted, the warfighter gets compromised, supply/procurement officers get jobs working for defense contractors once they retire, and the beat goes on...

Yes, it is a sad testament to a system that can send young men and women to fight and die for them, but will not trust them to use something like this responsibly in the civilian world they defend.

"The report illustrates the obsolete nature of the Pentagon's inventory systems for ammunition. A request for ammunition from the Marine Corps, for example, is e-mailed to the Army. The e-mail is printed out and manually retyped into the Army system because the services cannot share data directly. Not only is this time consuming, but it can introduce errors — by an incorrect keystroke, for example."

Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates called DOD operations “an amalgam of fiefdoms without centralized mechanisms to allocate resources, track expenditures, and measure results.” I can't name a source for the quote though.

Last edited:
Take a look at are history after WWII did the pentagon destroy ammo. No, they did not. They sold the ammo in lots to highest bidders. Those people in turn sold the ammo to civilians and other country's. As we all know the pentagon could sell this ammo and recoup some of the expense. It's just plane stupid not to resell. Does 1B grow on a money tree or something. I remember seeing the toilet paper mountain in Tirkrit, Iraq wonder what ever happened to that.

Last edited:
Take a look at are history after WWII did the pentagon destroy ammo. No, they did not. They sold the ammo in lots to highest bidders. Those people in turn sold the ammo to civilians and other country's. As we all know the pentagon could sell this ammo and recoup some of the expense. It's just plane stupid not to resell. Does 1B grow on a money tree or something. I remember seeing the toilet paper mountain in Tirkrit, Iraq wonder what ever happened to that.

They're just worried that they'd be facing it at t the Bundy place if they declared it surplus.

Once again a money maker staring them dead in the face to reclaim some of there debt but noooooo... Instead lets do some more wreck less spending by sending it to another country to be supposedly destroyed. Our government never fails to impress me.

I would love to see that!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Don't know if I have any photo's of the TP mountain. Over the weekend I will get my OIF III photos out and see if I have a photo. Don't remember having one so don't get your hopes up.

I've always wanted to see a mountain of TP.

Instead of "destroying" this ammunition for free, I think I would tell them to pay me.

Holy shit that is a lot of bullets.