• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What are the Cons of Folding Stocks?

Schönwald

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2024
Germany
Do they have greater wear due to the rifle having more moving parts?

Can over the years the rifle be less stable due to possible screws or items that fix the stock in general, when unfolded, tend to become loose?

Is a folding stock heaver?

The only potential con is if it doesn't lock when folded, meaning not in the firing position. That and if sig made it like on the cross, doesn't lock up tight, causing a shift when in the firing position. Some like the XLR have the ability to take the play out of it as it wears. The AI, Vision, Daniel Defense folders are all solid. While no direct experience, the Terry Cross/Sentinel looks and as reputation holds, would be.

I simply fear that my AI folder will eventually in 100 years break at the folding point.
Fear not. There is an entire thread right here on SH about AIs never breaking. 🤣

Everything wears and breaks. The hinge absolutely represents a failure point. If you open it and close it like your Rainman, it will eventually wear/fail. That said, I’m not concerned about 100 years. My kids/grand kids can worry about wobbly stocks.

I see a mention of cleaning. What is the actual purpose of a folder? Is it that hard to pull the cheek piece?
Depending upon the cheek piece, maybe. I mean, if you had a (no downside) choice between swinging the stock out of the way or removing the cheek piece for cleaning, would you remove the cheek piece?

What is the purpose of a folding stock?

Well, for starters, a folding stock makes your dick look 2 inches longer and 27% girthier.

And, you can move the stock out of the way for cleaning.

And, it makes the rifle a more compact package for transport.

And, really long-ass gun bags suck to carry. A folder allows you to use a bag that is about 1 foot shorter, all else equal.

Maybe some of these are t important to everyone. But, the dick thing is real…

Hell I’m in for the dick thing. My old school Manners has to go.
My cheek piece has an Allan screw but I can get a finger operated one to replace it. What’s the mechanics of the folding? Tool free?

Easier carrying can be relevant but it would also be heavier I assume.

Well the one I had does, if its level and you push your cheek down onto the stock and grab the rifle it will start to wobble up when you manipulate the bolt. the other problem with the D5 Pro is the freaking bolt travel but thats a whole separate issue.
You should contact DD, I'm certain they would get that squared away.

Reactions: Jdowns0415
The only potential con is if it doesn't lock when folded, meaning not in the firing position. That and if sig made it like on the cross, doesn't lock up tight, causing a shift when in the firing position. Some like the XLR have the ability to take the play out of it as it wears. The AI, Vision, Daniel Defense folders are all solid. While no direct experience, the Terry Cross/Sentinel looks and as reputation holds, would be.
The good thing about the cross is the folding mechanism could be replaced for $100.

Is the Sentinel chassis ever going to be released? Or you have to buy a complete custom rifle from Terry?

My old AICS is locked up tight like day 1 after almost 15yrs.

I used to fold it for carrying in a transport case with a can on.

But mostly anymore it is only folded for cleaning. Cleaning is super easy with a folder. No cheekriser to remove and properly refit.

The newer folders lock the bolt down and make backpack style carry easier and safer.

I won't sell my folder.

Most folders ARE HEAVIER than their nonfolder counterparts. But that's no big deal. Your carrying support gear, ammo, kit.....the folder isn't what breaks you. Find a lighter optic or bipod or remove the can if your that worried.

Cons:
1. Cost
2. Slightly heavier
3. May wobble, but there are plenty of good ones that don't

Pros:
1. Ease of cleaning
2. Ease of transport
3. Bigger dick apparently
4. Feel like a secret agent when you get your gun out and fold the stock open