• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What Bipod To Get?

ZakBradshaw

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2009
Fort Worth, Texas
I am thinking about putting a bipod on my Swedish Mauser. I don't have much money, so not looking to spend much. does anyone know where to get a decent bipod that mounts to the sling swivel mount, or one that bolts around the barrel (looks like a scope ring almost)? Thanks, Zak.

noname1.jpg

Re: What Bipod To Get?

You are on the right track, Harris make a good product. I would suggest either a 6-9 or 9-13 model with swivel for prone and bench shooting. Keep an eye out in the sales forum as they are often sold there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with a Harris and stay away from anything that mounts on the barrel for God sake. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stan462</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at versapod, much better than harris </div></div>

I'm not trying to start something here but that is a matter of opinion. I'm sure that there is many that would disagree with that statement. Especially since he is wanting to use a swivel stud. The harris is by far the most popular wand has the most accessories to customize it to your likings. They are often for sale at a discount on the accessory page. I would advise you to take a look there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stan462</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at versapod, much better than harris </div></div>

+1 </div></div>
I have owned both and I would have to say this one could turn into a can of worms, Versapod is not MUCH BETTER than Harris. If you want a heavier beat someone with it when it won't work then yes you should go with VersaPod.
I am going to have to say Harris wins hands down!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just go to wal mart and get that cheap harris copy they have. It's actually decent for the price. </div></div>

You're embarrassing yourself and everyone from Illinois.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just go to wal mart and get that cheap harris copy they have. It's actually decent for the price. </div></div>

I've actually thought about that... Lol, I'm 18, does it really matter? I have plenty of years to upgrade whatever I get... Zak.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stan462</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at versapod, much better than harris </div></div>

Please!!!!!!What is your reasoning for this statement?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stan462</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at versapod, much better than harris </div></div>

Please!!!!!!What is your reasoning for this statement? </div></div>

Works for versapod maybe.....?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZakBradshaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just go to wal mart and get that cheap harris copy they have. It's actually decent for the price. </div></div>

I've actually thought about that... Lol, I'm 18, does it really matter? I have plenty of years to upgrade whatever I get... Zak. </div></div>
I have also purchased one of these cheap crap bipods and truth is the nuts come lose and the whole thing fell apart while out hunting. If you do buy one use some lock tight to keep them from coming lose. I tossed mine after that, burried out in the mountains.

Sorry about spelling and the spaces. Posting this on my phone and it won't let me scroll.

Zak the cheapest way to get a bipod is to not get one. Instead if you take 3 sticks at around 1/4" to 1/2" and tie them together with a short length of line you have a tripod. If the sticks are 12" tall then you can adjust how high you want your rifle as well as correcting any amount of cant that there might be. Using this little tripod is completely free, infinitly adjustable and most of all is either extremely portable or can be made almost anywhere. Granted it doesn't attach but it will provide the stability you want without having to spend money. I know how it is to be 18 and in college, I'm there right now. I have used that little tripod setup all the time with extremely favorable results, I shoot just as good off the tripod as a sand bag. Another little tidbit you'll find useful is get yourself a bag for the rear of your rifle. A cheap way to do this is save your grocery bags. Put all your grocery bags into on grocery bag and place it under the butt of your rifle. You can then finely adjust the elevation for your rifle. Both of these are prett much free and will hold you over till you can get a quality piece of gear.

By the way I use a 14.5lbs (.308) gun and it holds up to that just fine. When you do decide to buy a bipod, a swivel/canting model is an excellent choice because you can track moving targets and use the bipod on uneven ground. I use a Shooter's Ridge model with good results. It attaches a Pictany rail to the swivel stud and then the bipod attaches to the rail. Use clear nail polish on the rubber gasket it comes with and the bipod will not move on it's mount. For the rear bag get yourself some platic BBs and either a cloth bag as big as your fist or enough cloth, needle and thread to make your own. The fine tuning offered by the rear bag is a great help when your trying to shoot tiny objects such as paintball (.66 diameter and a lot of fun and a great challenge). If you hunt often then you usually have to use what's provided, shooting is the same way, just a different field. Also using the improvised rests will help with making the shot while hunting because of the better foundation for the rifle.

If you want to more information look up a book called The Ultimate Sniper: An Advanced Training Manual for Military and Police Snipers. It's written by Major John L. Plaster, USAR (ret). The sheer amount of information is a welcome resource and the way he aprproaches problems is extremely thought out. He also provides a lot of tips for shooting, reloading, qucik follow ups an field rests. Good luck shooting.

ArticFun- I really appreciate your post. Yeah, it sucks even more without having a job... I may try some of the things you suggested. Right now, I would just be happy to shoot the dang rifle, so until then, I'm not spending any more money on it...LOL. (The rifle cost me a total of $40...LOL)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Harris Bipods are made in America. </div></div>

+1

Bipod.............no
get a tripod n be done, much more versatile in given postion

Bipod maybe quicker to employ but very limited range of use

tripod can go from prone to standin or anything between

hit search function
good luck

Yeah, but I want something that mounts to the gun. I don't really want it for range shooting, I was hoping to get something that could be used more "in the field" on the run kinda thing. Something practical in a real life situation. Zak.

Zak,

Check out what we offer at a reasonable price that will allow for some great situational versatility. The medium tripod will get you from ~6" to 43" prone to kneeling and the large tripod will allow you to go from ~6" to 63" prone to standing. I caution you against using a tripod that attaches to your rifle as this limits your ability to rapidly adjust to changing situations. Some of the recoil is transferred into the tripod when attached to a rifle causing you to adjust the entire assembly between shots. With the rifle free recoiling in the cradle the tripod stays in position and the rifle then returns to the cradle so that your target line is maintained. A tripod and cradle combination will also provide for a wider range of movement both vertically and horizontally than what is found in a bipod.

Check out what we have and let me know if we can help you out.
Precision Rifle Solutions

Take care,

Danel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sledge1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just go to wal mart and get that cheap harris copy they have. It's actually decent for the price. </div></div>

You're embarrassing yourself and everyone from Illinois. </div></div>

You apparently didn't see the other thread, where he mentioned that it's a $40 rifle we're talking about.

shoot off a ruck... for god sakes just go shoot, by the end of the day you'll have a damn god idea whats gonna work for you and what doesnt.

When I got into serious trap shooting someone gave me a good warning that, while it doesn't apply quite so much to precision shooting, it may apply enough to repeat here: "[Precision shooting] is not for the faint of wallet."

My advice is to get a job, pay off all your debts, get a used car (if you don't have one), save a little for emergencies, make sure you're not the type that drives a Cadillac Escalade yet lives in the ghetto, get a good woman, and then worry about new toys for shooting sports.

JMO.