• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What caliber for a LA 700?

shax2lex

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Columbia, SC
I will be getting a LA 700 soon and I want to rebarrel it. The thing is I don’t know what caliber. I have a 6.5 CM and a Seekins 6.5 SP-10 on the way. What is a good LA caliber for Long range hunting. I want to make the ballistics worth the pain. Thanks in advance.

L/A for hunting, there are a ton of choices, but my vote would be for 6.5x284. You can easily get reamer,dies,brass,etc. I would say that this is probably one of the more forgiving and easy L/A cartridges to load for. A ton of information out there for it and a ton of great hunting bullets with great BC’s

I’ve been wanting to build a “remage” 300 win mag for a year, but have read about a new round coming soon from Hornady on the elr forum called 30 PRC. I’m jonesing for an affordable elr rig and I think this will work great. Not sure what Hornady will have factory loaded, but if they load their 220 elr-x bullets it should be perfect

I had the same situation a few years ago and ended up building a 6.5x55AI. Same ballistics as a 6.5x284 but better barrel life and cheaper brass. It is crazy accurate and you can push a 140 grain bullet 3000fps without too much trouble. It is a killer hunting round.... If you don't reload, I would build a 280AI.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have been thing of those calibers. The 30PRC sounds interesting and I’ll keep my ear out for it should it happen.

Another question, can the bolt be changed out for a magnum bolt face? If so, I may look to do that. Thoughts?