• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What can cause a bullet to impact higher, when moving back to 200 yards, from 100 yards?

Ok, ready?

The bags don't allow me to get up from the shot, without securing the gun somehow.
Rifles in my bag setup don’t move when I walk away.
DF7AA54A-2894-4F2C-B41C-EDF15CCBF6CA.jpeg

My bag was made by a now-defunct company called Doggone Good. Armageddon acquired the design and, as mentioned, makes them now. They are might be a little different than the Bulls Bag @Baron23 posted in that they squeeze the gun as you push it into the bag, locking it in place. But Baron says below they seem to operate the same, and I believe him. I should’ve better qualified my above statement.

If you really want to lock it in, the owner of Doggone Gone said to place that drawer liner stuff, the rubber bumpy rolled sheet, under the bag and also under the rifle (in the notch).

I shoot low-recoiling rifles so I don’t do that.

My outings are dependant on my friend and is schedule right now, and usually come together very quickly with little time to adjust around his current procedures (including the use of the plastic table).
< slap slap slap face > lol
You gotta either buy or make a decent table man!

Membership has changed around here so I don’t know if you can see Frank/Lowelight’s training vids at your level.

STEP 1:
Join at a level in which you can see those vids and written material. Start reading and watching.

STEP 2:
Realize the so-called “shoulder pocket” is neither near your shoulder nor a pocket!

To find the right place to put your buttpad: Find your center breastbone near the hollow of your neck. Move 2-4” outwards towards your dominant side. Stop at where collar bone dives into chest. X-marks the spot, and it should be close to being under your dominant eye.

It feels weird for a while, but your recoil control improves immensely as you’re cantilevering your body less. Recoil becomes more straight back.

STEP 3: (for bench shooting)
Buy a better front and rear support. I suggest that Armeggon bag and @Enough Said ‘s Comprimise rear bag, but whatever you’d like.

Then, relax, become a meatbag. Don’t want the gun to bounce off of your rock-hard pecs lol.

Square up to rifle, do not sit at an angle like everyone at the range does. Again, this is to allow recoil to push you straight back, and all this helps you spot your own shots.

If you bought a suitable Hide membership, see:
And

STEP 4:
Realize there is a LOT of subtle technique around how to load a bipod, how to squeeze a rear bag, and the type & construction of both devices. For example, I don’t load my rifle much when it’s in my bag setup. But I have to with bipods…unless I use ski feet. Anyway, moving on…

STEP 5:
Buy or make a better portable bench (or a tripod, but that’s another sorta complicated discussion as tripod shooting is not like bench or bipod shooting). So stick to a bench right now. Or go prone, but that’s not my area.

$$$$$ ($30,000+)
Buy a pickup and a very very rigid bed cover, the kind that folds open. Shoot from that, standing on the ground. It’s awesome. I suppose 30mph gusty winds would buffet the chassis about the suspension a bit, but how often are you shooting in that weather?​
Realize your boreline ≠ what you see through your scope! People have accidentally shot their truck lol.​
$$$$ (~$750+)
The DOA swiveling shooting bench. Mine was $1100. I finally broke down this year and bought one. I talked to the manufacturer and had a custom one made with an ambidextrous top and slightly different legs. They’re going to release that model for the public soon. It’s very stable and I will write up a review in a while. I have no stake in the company, no money was exchanged, I paid full price, I’m not a douche shill.​
For years I had been using a $150 swiveler that I got at Menards on clearance for $65 lol. It started off a little wobbly and just got worse as the pivot wore.​
I did a lot of research and there’s not a lot out there that’s any good. I’m still working with DOA to work the kinks out.​
$$$ (~$550)
https://legacyshootingproducts.com/products/u-shape-ambidextrous (this model specifically, not the L-shaped ones that encourage not squaring up to gun). I’ve seen good reviews on it, don’t own it. It has adjustable-height legs and stores the legs inside the table. Neat. See their other models for more detailed pics.​
A place named Stukeys makes something of similar quality (no leg storage) but is currently $1734. Wtf?​
$$ DIY #1
Buy sawhorse. Add your own top. See this thread, but again, I suggest not making a an L-shaped top. Haven’t made this but I own the Dewalt sawhorses and QR brackets and they are solid. However, the most solid sawhorse I’ve ever seen is the Fulton Stablemate.​
$ DIY #2
Buy these brackets (link below) and use pipes from local big box store. Pics:​
Brackets: I contacted him (username “Lonny in ID”) on the forum https://forum.accurateshooter.com/ and the brackets were dirt cheap. I haven’t yet made this bench but have the brackets. Nice stuff. My thought was making a simple, lighter and more easily packable bench than my DOA, just for target shooting only. No swivel, obv.​

A bunch more bench ideas:

Last edited:
Reactions: yo-yo
They are a little different than the Bull Bag @Baron23 posted in that they squeeze the gun as you push it into the bag, locking it in place.
Ah, no I don't believe that they are different. The Bull Bag def lock the gun in...IMO, best way is to pull out the bottom two parts of the X apart but I suppose just pushing the gun down into it would do the trick also.

Now, I can't attest to this, but the owner of Bulls Bag was pretty vehement that Doggone Good copied his basic concept, that his design is patented, so theirs is inferior to his.... but....I mean, its a fucking X bag. How many ways can you make one?

Oh...and the DOA shooting bench...I get a chance once a year to participate in some crop damage permit whitetail hunting and the guy whose deal this is has two of them that we set up on a flat bed trailer. They are older...and I can't swear that they are the same brand name...but they look identical. Swivels, right? and seat height can be changed by pulling the pin and moving it up and down (and yes, reinserting the pin).

Same, right? They are brilliant for what he uses them for which is shooting the shit out of a bunch of deer that are just destroying corn and soy bean fields.

Cheers

Reactions: carbonbased
Ah, no I don't believe that they are different. The Bull Bag def lock the gun in...IMO, best way is to pull out the bottom two parts of the X apart but I suppose just pushing the gun down into it would do the trick also.

Now, I can't attest to this, but the owner of Bulls Bag was pretty vehement that Doggone Good copied his basic concept, that his design is patented, so theirs is inferior to his.... but....I mean, it’s a fucking X bag. How many ways can you make one?
You are right, I should not have said that I think they are different since I haven’t used a Bulls Bag. I’ve fixed my prev post.

The bags are made a bit differently, however. Look at the seams on the edge of the X. Not sure if it makes a whit of difference.

Edit: one thing I’d warn someone away from is using any fill material that absorbs water. Seems like some Bulls Bags use cat litter? Not sure what AG uses in their model.

Mine is filled with a polypropylene regrind which can be found where plastic is recycled (check yellow pages under lastic), which is apparently ground up 5 gallon buckets.

The DOA bench does swivel, but the current model’s seat is infinitely adjustable via a separate collar under the seat arm. The pins they use are for locking the three legs in place.

Fast forward through this dude’s vid to see how it goes together.

I find that using paraffin wax on the column makes it go together easier. Don’t use candle wax as I have found that it creates a stiction-type (grabby) behavior! Not all candle wax is the same.

Last edited:
Look at the seams on the edge of the X. Not sure if it makes a whit of difference.
Yeah...that doesn't seem significant to me but....I haven't used the Doggone one. But...I can't see that having two seams on the end (and being square) vs one seam would make any functional difference.

As for kitty litter...yeah, that's what the guy told me to use. But you can fill them with anything you like. Sand, Git Lite, ground walnut media, beads from Michael's craft store (LOL), or anything else you want. You can buy them pre-filled but I dunno why anyone would want to pay shipping for that. I got them empty. Oh...and kitty litter is rather cheap so if it did get wet, you can just change it out.

I did fill mine with kitty litter and damn...it actually works very well. Now, I wouldn't take it out in the rain...but I don't compete so, aside from some hunting, I'm not shooting in the rain (did decades of getting wet competing at skeet but at my current age...fuck that! haha).

Do the Doggone Gone ones allow you to fill yourself or are they sealed up?

As for the shooting bench...I don't believe that the ones we use are DOA but they look VERY similar. The ones we use are pretty old and seat height is set by putting a pin thru one of a series of holes in the main post. I see in the video how this one works. It looks like just a friction sort of thing between the screw-in pin and the main post. You don't have any slippage at all?

And...again, I only get to do this once a year....but the ones we use the actual bench top swivels with the seat which is very handy for getting on deer during crop damage hunting. Sort of like old WW II anti-aircraft gun! haha

Cheers

Cheers

Reactions: carbonbased
It looks like just a friction sort of thing between the screw-in pin and the main post. You don't have any slippage at all?
No slippage. It’s actually kind of an interesting solution as it’s a bone simple way to make a non-wobbly seat.

The seat and top swivel independently, which I thought might be a problem. Surprisingly, it’s not. Paraffin wax helps the top swivel more smoothly.

The top doesn’t glide, but it doesn’t have to as I don’t change position every five seconds. But it’s an area for improvement for pdog shooters. It’s fine for everyone else.

Reactions: Baron23
id fill mine with kitty litter and damn...it actually works very well. Now, I wouldn't take it out in the rain...but I don't compete so, aside from some hunting, I'm not shooting in the rain (did decades of getting wet competing at skeet but at my current age...fuck that! haha).
My fear is that kitty litter might turn to solid concrete when wet, which might make it impossible to remove.

Update: Just did some quick searching and it seems most kitty litter is clay-based and turns to thick gooey slime when wet. Yeesh. Some people say once wet, it never really dries back out!

Sounds like hell to deal with, but again, it’s brand/model specific.

Ok, ready?

Rifles in my bag setup don’t move when I walk away.
View attachment 8497393

My bag was made by a now-defunct company called Doggone Good. Armageddon acquired the design and, as mentioned, makes them now. They are might be a little different than the Bulls Bag @Baron23 posted in that they squeeze the gun as you push it into the bag, locking it in place. But Baron says below they seem to operate the same, and I believe him. I should’ve better qualified my above statement.

If you really want to lock it in, the owner of Doggone Gone said to place that drawer liner stuff, the rubber bumpy rolled sheet, under the bag and also under the rifle (in the notch).

I shoot low-recoiling rifles so I don’t do that.

< slap slap slap face > lol
You gotta either buy or make a decent table man!

Membership has changed around here so I don’t know if you can see Frank/Lowelight’s training vids at your level.

STEP 1:
Join at a level in which you can see those vids and written material. Start reading and watching.

STEP 2:
Realize the so-called “shoulder pocket” is neither near your shoulder nor a pocket!

To find the right place to put your buttpad: Find your center breastbone near the hollow of your neck. Move 2-4” outwards towards your dominant side. Stop at where collar bone dives into chest. X-marks the spot, and it should be close to being under your dominant eye.

It feels weird for a while, but your recoil control improves immensely as you’re cantilevering your body less. Recoil becomes more straight back.

STEP 3: (for bench shooting)
Buy a better front and rear support. I suggest that Armeggon bag and @Enough Said ‘s Comprimise rear bag, but whatever you’d like.

Then, relax, become a meatbag. Don’t want the gun to bounce off of your rock-hard pecs lol.

Square up to rifle, do not sit at an angle like everyone at the range does. Again, this is to allow recoil to push you straight back, and all this helps you spot your own shots.

If you bought a suitable Hide membership, see:
And

STEP 4:
Realize there is a LOT of subtle technique around how to load a bipod, how to squeeze a rear bag, and the type & construction of both devices. For example, I don’t load my rifle much when it’s in my bag setup. But I have to with bipods…unless I use ski feet. Anyway, moving on…

STEP 5:
Buy or make a better portable bench (or a tripod, but that’s another sorta complicated discussion as tripod shooting is not like bench or bipod shooting). So stick to a bench right now. Or go prone, but that’s not my area.

$$$$$ ($30,000+)
Buy a pickup and a very very rigid bed cover, the kind that folds open. Shoot from that, standing on the ground. It’s awesome. I suppose 30mph gusty winds would buffet the chassis about the suspension a bit, but how often are you shooting in that weather?​
Realize your boreline ≠ what you see through your scope! People have accidentally shot their truck lol.​
$$$$ (~$750+)
The DOA swiveling shooting bench. Mine was $1100. I finally broke down this year and bought one. I talked to the manufacturer and had a custom one made with an ambidextrous top and slightly different legs. They’re going to release that model for the public soon. It’s very stable and I will write up a review in a while. I have no stake in the company, no money was exchanged, I paid full price, I’m not a douche shill.​
For years I had been using a $150 swiveler that I got at Menards on clearance for $65 lol. It started off a little wobbly and just got worse as the pivot wore.​
I did a lot of research and there’s not a lot out there that’s any good. I’m still working with DOA to work the kinks out.​
$$$ (~$550)
https://legacyshootingproducts.com/products/u-shape-ambidextrous (this model specifically, not the L-shaped ones that encourage not squaring up to gun). I’ve seen good reviews on it, don’t own it. It has adjustable-height legs and stores the legs inside the table. Neat. See their other models for more detailed pics.​
A place named Stukeys makes something of similar quality (no leg storage) but is currently $1734. Wtf?​
$$ DIY #1
Buy sawhorse. Add your own top. See this thread, but again, I suggest not making a an L-shaped top. Haven’t made this but I own the Dewalt sawhorses and QR brackets and they are solid. However, the most solid sawhorse I’ve ever seen is the Fulton Stablemate.​
$ DIY #1
Buy these brackets (link below) and use pipes from local big box store. Pics:​
Brackets: I contacted him (username “Lonny in ID”) on the forum https://forum.accurateshooter.com/ and the brackets were dirt cheap. I haven’t yet made this bench but have the brackets. Nice stuff. My thought was making a simple, lighter and more easily packable bench than my DOA, just for target shooting only. No swivel, obv.​

A bunch more bench ideas:
Wow! Crazy setup! Nice!
Hmmm...I have a few more things to think about then....
Right now, I have to be able to remove my gun and get off the the table for my friend to swap his onto the table in a few seconds. I'll have to figure out a way that we can better share the same space, but offer a bit more stability, and be able to switch pretty quickly.

I did get the Caldwell Stinger yesterday, and I assembled it. It's actually pretty nice, but sadly it doesn't fit my MDT chassis very well. I tried several configurations, trying to see if I could find a way to use it. I removed my front weights and I removed the magazine (I don't use it right now anyway)...and tried to slide the whole gun backwards on the device. I even considered cutting the rear pad on this thing, so see if I could get more clearance.

Sadly, it's also just a bit wide where it curls around at the back. It prevents good hand/wrist form, having to arch my wrist to bend around it.
I may just go get a bipod today and try that. Not sure what the long term solution will be here.

Attachments

• IMG_3574.jpeg
    IMG_3574.jpeg
    500.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3575.jpeg
    IMG_3575.jpeg
    437.3 KB · Views: 22
Right now, I have to be able to remove my gun and get off the the table for my friend to swap his onto the table in a few seconds. I'll have to figure out a way that we can better share the same space, but offer a bit more stability, and be able to switch pretty quickly.
Well…the x-bag bag I use weighs 14lbs and the rear bag is maybe a pound. The green risers are foam knee pads so they weigh almost nothing.

It would take 10 seconds to remove that stuff from a table, tops.

Nothing is going to be as light as a bipod.

You can shoot off a backpack too. Fill it with something soft. Look at Henry at 9Hole Reviews on YT (the Asian guy). He often shoots off a backpack out to 1000+ yds.

Either of my DIY table ideas are pretty cheap and better than those poly folding tables.

That Caldwell looks like a piece of crap lol

Wow! Crazy setup! Nice!

I did get the Caldwell Stinger yesterday, and I assembled it. It's actually pretty nice, but sadly it doesn't fit my MDT chassis very well. I tried several configurations, trying to see if I could find a way to use it. I removed my front weights and I removed the magazine (I don't use it right now anyway)...and tried to slide the whole gun backwards on the device. I even considered cutting the rear pad on this thing, so see if I could get more clearance.

Sadly, it's also just a bit wide where it curls around at the back. It prevents good hand/wrist form, having to arch my wrist to bend around it.
I may just go get a bipod today and try that. Not sure what the long term solution will be here.
Also, bare minimum buy a Harris bipod with notches (not the infinitely adjustable-height one). But if you do that you’ll need a bunch of mods to make it work with your setup as they attach to sling swivel studs.

Otherwise an Atlas CAL, some flavor of Accutac, a TBAC, or my fav, the LRA are all good choices, albeit expensive.

Well…the x-bag bag I use weighs 14lbs and the rear bag is maybe a pound. The green risers are foam knee pads so they weigh almost nothing.

It would take 10 seconds to remove that stuff from a table, tops.

Nothing is going to be as light as a bipod.

You can shoot off a backpack too. Fill it with something soft. Look at Henry at 9Hole Reviews on YT (the Asian guy). He often shoots off a backpack out to 1000+ yds.

Either of my DIY table ideas are pretty cheap and better than those poly folding tables.

That Caldwell looks like a piece of crap lol
Yeah, I agree this may take some time to work out. I'll look a bit further into some options.
The Caldwell thing is actually of decent construction. If I had a standard rear stock, I would keep it. It's almost good enough to keep as a gun vice, but if I'm going to have a vice....I probably should have one that actually sinches the gun down better for those purposes. :)

Wow! Crazy setup! Nice!

Yeah, I agree this may take some time to work out. I'll look a bit further into some options.
The Caldwell thing is actually of decent construction. If I had a standard rear stock, I would keep it. It's almost good enough to keep as a gun vice, but if I'm going to have a vice....I probably should have one that actually sinches the gun down better for those purposes. :)
Return the sybian. Get your money back.

You have a rifle with a nice chassis, get a seminice bipod at least to take advantage of the chassis.
Go buy a 6-9" swivel harris with notched legs, your local place probably has one on the shelf.

Replace the harris flimsy sling stud only mount swivel with this new adaptor piece.

Put this second clamp piece on that first adaptor to make use of your swivel bipod with your chassis built in arca rail.

The two together will look like this, you will be able to mount the bipod anywhere along the length of your chasis forearm with the build in arca clamp but you can also mount it on any picatinny rail too, its a two in one clamp.
1725904011132.png

Also, a podloc is nice.

Yes, this all starts to get a bit pricey.

The alternative is as burdensome as the caldwell contraption but much stabler and consistent: take an old pair of jeans, cut the legs off, fill with sand a sew it closed. Stack and move as you see fit.

You get good and you start adding multiple bipods, two is twice as steady as one.
IMG_1007.jpeg

Last edited:

You have a rifle with a nice chassis, get a seminice bipod at least to take advantage of the chassis.
Go buy a 6-9" swivel harris with notched legs, your local place probably has one on the shelf.

Replace the harris flimsy sling stud only mount swivel with this new adaptor piece.

Put this second clamp piece on that first adaptor to make use of your swivel bipod with your chassis built in arca rail.

The two together will look like this, you will be able to mount the bipod anywhere along the length of your chasis forearm with the build in arca clamp but you can also mount it on any picatinny rail too, its a two in one clamp.

Also, a podloc is nice.

Thanks for the images. Ok. Yeah, my friend has the same MDT Chassis and he uses the ARCA Rail to mount his bipod. I think he was able to buy a bipod that may have already come with the ability to mount directly to the ARCA rail. Should I be looking for something specific in the features of the bipod, other than the ability to attach it to the ARCA rail?

Thanks for the images. Ok. Yeah, my friend has the same MDT Chassis and he uses the ARCA Rail to mount his bipod. I think he was able to buy a bipod that may have already come with the ability to mount directly to the ARCA rail. Should I be looking for something specific in the features of the bipod, other than the ability to attach it to the ARCA rail?
419 does make a mount and sell a clamp-bipod combo, its just arca though instead of arca/picatinny both so I sorta prefer the rrs version personally.
You would want the hbrm-s arca option

View attachment 8498040

Also, a podloc is nice.

The alternative is as burdensome as the caldwell contraption but much stabler and consistent: take an old pair of jeans, cut the legs off, fill with sand a sew it closed. Stack and move as you see fit.

You get good and you start adding multiple bipods, two is twice as steady as one.
View attachment 8498043
Sybian and two bipods…man, you’re cracking me up today

Reactions: spife7980