What cartridge for a one mile shoot?

I'm undecided whether to go with a 30" 300 norma or a 30-32" 338 lapua barrel for my desert tech. I will eventually have both but right now I'm torn on which way to go. I already have the dies and brass for the lapua from a previous rifle.

My first attempt at 1 mile with my new 6.5 PRC w 147 ELD held a good group at 1 mile into the dirt lol. Ran out of elevation on my turret and due to fog/wet ground conditions made it hard to get on steel. My buddies 7 SAUM 183/184 w NF no problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: raw
Our spotter had mentioned that multiple 6.5 CM w factory 147 had made good repeatable hits at 1 mile.

I don't shoot 6.5 CM, but I shoot a lot of 260 pushing 140 Bergers at 2850. In my experience, "1 mile" and "repeatable" do not belong in the same sentence when talking about mid-capacity 6.5s. Maybe others are having better luck, but my impacts are all over the place. Occasionally I get lucky.

Comparing 260 performance to, say, a 338 Norma Improved - HUGE difference in repeatability.

Reactions: spife7980 and BCX
I think if i was to build a ELR rifle it would be in the 300 NM/338 NM/338 lapua class. Anyone looking for a new 7mm 1-7.5 twist barrel? Had planes to build a 7mm practical or 28 Nosler.

I ended up going the 338LM route. Going to start load dev with the 250gr Berger Hybrid and 285 Hornady ELD-M in the coming months and hopefully pick a winner by next spring when the match starts back up.

Reactions: wildcats
In my experience, "1 mile" and "repeatable" do not belong in the same sentence when talking about mid-capacity 6.5s. Maybe others are having better luck, but my impacts are all over the place.

Wait, you mean you don't hold 0.25 MOA at a mile with your Daisy BB gun? You better start buying Cabela's ELR BBs!

j/k.

I have a 6.5 PRC barrel on order and expect some level of frustration trying to get to know its one mile behavior.

Reactions: BCX
I'm starting to believe that .30 is the minimum for consistency at a mile or greater. Yes I had hits at one mile with my 7 SAUM and 183 Sierra/184 Berger but not consistent enough to call a group shooting at a 32x32 plate. Maybe due to my inexperience at that range or possibly the bullets not transitioning well or both, I'm not sure but there was only 1-1.5 mph wind. And given the moisture content in the dirt and hazy conditions last time out, misses were difficult to spot.

My first attempt at 1 mile with my new 6.5 PRC w 147 ELD held a good group at 1 mile into the dirt lol. Ran out of elevation on my turret and due to fog/wet ground conditions made it hard to get on steel. My buddies 7 SAUM 183/184 w NF no problem.

There is a old saying “ No replacement for displacement “

LOL,off topic...I clearly remember that quote,however we were referring to the pic bellow,

Attachments

• 0505phr_hemi_01_z.jpg
    0505phr_hemi_01_z.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: BCX
I'm starting to believe that .30 is the minimum for consistency at a mile or greater. Yes I had hits at one mile with my 7 SAUM and 183 Sierra/184 Berger but not consistent enough to call a group shooting at a 32x32 plate. Maybe due to my inexperience at that range or possibly the bullets not transitioning well or both, I'm not sure but there was only 1-1.5 mph wind. And given the moisture content in the dirt and hazy conditions last time out, misses were difficult to spot.

A friend has taken his 28 nosler out to 2k yards with pretty good success. 195's out of a 30" barrel, he says it will hold it's own against his 300 norma. I think his last time out was 3 out of 4 hits at a mile with the 28.

A friend has taken his 28 nosler out to 2k yards with pretty good success. 195's out of a 30" barrel, he says it will hold it's own against his 300 norma. I think his last time out was 3 out of 4 hits at a mile with the 28.
Guns and Ammo Sniper 2017 had a good article comparing the 28 Nosler Vs 300 Norma at ELR. If i remember correctly the 28 was flatter and held the wind better. My plan was to build a 28 Nosler but for the last 8 months brass has been scarce causing me to second guess my decision.

Reactions: DIBBS
Guns and Ammo Sniper 2017 had a good article comparing the 28 Nosler Vs 300 Norma at ELR. If i remember correctly the 28 was flatter and held the wind better. My plan was to build a 28 Nosler but for the last 8 months brass has been scarce causing me to second guess my decision.

It is a wicked round, he has sent me thr numbers and it does outperform the norma a little at a mile. I know bertram has some brass but have seen mixed reviews on it. There is a new brass company that machines the brass out of bar stock but it's around $5 a case. Looks like they specialize in odd cartridges but have some common ones too. I'm curious to see if this is the future of brass and if the price will come down eventually.

The lack of a consistent supply of brass is what kept me from getting into a 28 Nosler. The numbers looked great, but if you can't feed the beast it's a moot point.

28 Nosler brass is out there if you are patient. It kind of comes in waves. I picked up 200 pieces a couple months back during one of those waves. That should be enough to burn out a barrel. You can also just buy Nosler factory ammo which in some cases is cheaper than buying brass.

What about 7-300wm or necking down the 300 PRC when it becomes available?

You could do that and I may very well do one of those myself. However you don't need to.
The .300WM can get out to a mile easily with the right barrel/twist rate/ammunition
The .300PRC will get you out to 2000 yards

I was just putting it out there for the 7mm shooters. I just ordered a Bartlein 28" 1-8.75 heavy varmint for what ever .30 I end up with.

No go on the 7 SAUM today, too much fog this morning and I'm leaving on a trip for a few days.

I shot to a mile for the first time, two weekends ago. Custom 300 WM shooting 230 grain Berger Hybrids. Didn't really intend on shooting this far when I built this thing with a 22 inch barrel though. So the muzzle velocity is a bit less than ideal at 2737 fps.