• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What do you consider essential to bolt rifle owner

gvcandyman

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
I am new to owning guns and am wondering what you consider to be essential equipment/accessories. Things I'm thinking about are gun lock, sling, snap caps, bipod, cleaning kit, vise, range bags. Anything else you think are necessities?

Re: What do you consider essential to bolt rifle owner

Just think of what you need.. There is no set list accept what the essentials are for keeping and maintaining your guns.. As well as the saftey aspect of owning a gun. Everyone's needs are different. Your list will grow as you go along but I may need some things you do not.. And vice-versa.. Just get the essentials.

I'd like to hunt a little but mostly it will be for target shooting when I go backpacking and go out to the farm. So lot of range shooting. See how far I can make an accurate shot. Start close and go out from there.

Aside from a scoped rifle, you will need a sling, bi-pod and rear rest/bag/mono-pod.

As to accessories, The most important thing you can have will turn out to be the least used...A good bore guide and one piece cleaning rod as well as solvents. You gotta have these.

After that, your shooting will dictate what you need...rangefinders, spotting scope, packs, ammo boxes, etc. can be purchased as you see a need.

Well you can live with out anything but the gun but the first thing I bought during my 10 day waiting period was all of the cleaning supplies.. (brush, jig, patches, rod, cleaners ect). Then after that I got my gun which came with a gun lock and in some states its mandatory to have one. Didn't need a safe again some states require by law so that's all depending on where you live. Then I went and bought my scope, scope rings, scope mount then a good quality case. I have no need for protection of the rifle and with the kids running around my house I don't buy my ammo until the week of my shooting trips.

But what I highly recommend is a good cleaning kit, lock, and bag to at least keep and maintain your rifle properly. Maybe a safe depending on if you feel one is necessary. And a good hiding place from kids and those stupid people lurking around who don't know better than to "Hit that big shiny red button".

When I go shoot at range, I take: (other than rifle with scope, TAB sling, and bi-pod)

Rear bag
protective eye-wear
hearing protection
shooting mat
ammo + mag
targets + staple gun

At the office I have:

basic cleaning gear (which I rarely use)
few basic tools
more ammo
round-count book (which I fill out next day or when I return to office)

I keep it pretty simple....shoot 2-3 times a week....LEO - bolt-gun used for duty....

Gun does ride in a Pelican case in the back of my Dept. Tahoe. Have drag-bag but it rarely gets used as well, other than at training or places I cant get close with the Tahoe.

I love the pelican cases so a pelican 1750 will be a quick addition to my set up. See If I can fit a Remington 870 express in the case as well. Does anyone have any experience with the 1750?

Have 2 of the 1750's....Laid my rifle on the foam and mark around it with sharpie marker...put foam in deepfreeze for a few hours then take out and cut-out pieces with steak-knife....not "beautiful" but works for me....I only put one rifle per case.....Can't go wrong with Pelican quality...

Rubber coated one piece cleaning rod. Good patches, Good CLP, reloading equipment. Because you will never reach your rifles true potential until you reload for it.

Good luck,
Merritt

You only <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">NEED</span></span> a sling and a clean ing kit - everything else is "Nice" to have.

I shoot with a sling now, rarely from the bipod, so you don't "NEED" one - people have existed for years without it.

Rear bags are "Nice" too, but not necessary.

Learn the basics without all that stuff, then shoot with it and you'll see what I mean.

A shooting jacket is nice to have too, but not necessary.

please dont forget to use the proper protective gear for your self or if others will go with you.it always seems like a buddy or spouse would like to tag along and i feel its the responsible gun owner who has the proper gear for an occasinal partner.namley hearing protection. i learned the hard way from a muzzle braked 7 rem mag 2 shots cost me 34%hearing lose in my left ear.also some training on proper gun handling. its not the job of the guys at the rande you shoot at to teach you these things.have fun with your new toys man.enjoy the addiction and get rid of your credit cards now..

Good advice I'll be sure to keep a ton of ear plugs for others and a set of glasses. It'll be hard to get my girl to come with me though she doesn't like guns like I do and hates hunting from some earlier experiences.

I'm new to the 300+ yd stuff and my list started getting bigger when that started but here's my absolute essential list:

gun
sight
bipod or bag (dog food bags work if your in a pinch) for the rear a wadded up shirt works
ammo
ear plugs
safety glasses
cleaning rod, jag, cleaning patches, solvent, oil (i rarely use the nylon brush)
place to shoot

and for gods sake don't forget your eyeball and finger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyPrime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any recommendations on brand as far as one piece cleaning rods go? I'm going to include one in my next order from Midway, along with nylon brushes and jags. </div></div>

I use a tipton, it works great. Just wish I hadn't wasted so many of the crappy walmart 3-piece rods before I bought it.

All the necessary components for cleaning should be the first on your list. PPE is usually a given so I'll omit that, as well as ammo.

Go w/ a good one piece cleaning rod and a bore guide. I went through 2 3 piece cleaning kits before I finally realized the value of a 1 piece. Good thing the 3 piece rods never did touch my bolt action (only touched my AR)