• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

what gr barns ttsx .308

Re: what gr barns ttsx .308

Without really knowing what your intentions are for this combo, all I can offer is a S.W.A.G. I shoot Barnes exclusively in my hunting rifles (have been for years), IMHO the 168 TTSX is all the bullet you need up to & including ELK, I really believe the 180 TTSX is more bullet than the .308 can use, it will work better than the 180 TSX but I still don't think you can push it hard enough to initiate sufficient expansion at extended distances.

Try the 168 first, I don't believe you will be disappointed, it'll kill any animal you may come across in Cali with no troubles, it will get pretty expensive if you are just target shooting though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0481</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for some info on these bullets. I have a remy with a 1:12 twist. What gr. Should I use 168 or 180. If there is a calculater some where please post a link. Thanks. </div></div>

Actually I find the 308 cal 130 gr TTSX @ 3100 FPS to be an excellent bullet for game under 300 lbs and ranges 500 yds or less.

After shooting 150-180(No 130)Barnes I would go with the lightest one that shoots the best out of your rifle. My SPS V(1:12) loves the 150 TTSX. Its one of the most accurate bullets I have put in the gun. Remember they love to jump and with a Remmy long throat it WILL shoot.
44.6 Gr H4895
Hornady Match Brass
Barnes 150 gr TTSX
CCI BR2 Primer
Mag Length

+1 to what BobinNC said! Those 130gr TTSX are killing machines for sure. Work real well with IMR8208XBR too.

Gary

I will be using them to hunt with. I use the 175smk for targets. Will varget or imr4640 work xwith these at all? This type of projo is posably going to be listed as armor piercing in cali. So i have heard. TJ S.W.A.G seems to be working for most people these days.

Varget should work fine. It may be a Little Bit on the slow side, but right about when it goes compressed, (depending on brass and chamber ect) you should see good velocity, with safe working pressures. By the way, Please start low and work up, just because it "Should" be safe no matter what, don't mean it will be in Your Weapon!

The 130 TTSX is potent game taking medicine for sure. Good friend of mine dropped a 130lb pig at around 370 yards with one shot, DRT. They shoot flat, hit hard, and stay together well. What more can you ask?

Good Hunting,
Gary

How do the Barnes TTSX's compare in the accuracy department; comparing them to something like SMK's?

I know every gun is different but I was just kind of wondering if they are generally close?