what is the correct way to shoot a new barrel in?

Trigger puller UK

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
UK lincolnshire
I have an AI AW in 7.62, i'm changing the caliber to a Remington 260, What is the correct method of how to shot a new barrel in & how many rounds total roughly before the barrel settels down before I start my accuracy load development?

Many thanks guys Ady from the uk

Re: what is the correct way to shoot a new barrel in?

1 round then wait for cool, clean then repeat 4 times, then 3 rounds wait for cool, clean repeat 3 times then, 5 rnds wait for cool do not clean repeat 1 time burned in, that's the way i was thought but im sure their different ways

Don't do anything special to break it in, just shoot it. You'll have burnished any minor defects in the barrel after 50 rounds, but you might as well use them to sight in and do some preliminary testing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There isn't one, just shoot it. </div></div>

What he said, END THREAD

Aim rifle in safe direction.

Load rifle, apply steady rearward pressure to trigger shoe until discharge.
Repeat until ammuntion expended.

Clean after each round for the first 5-8 rounds, then clean every 3-4 rounds after that for 20-30 rounds total. Cleaning regularly after break in is up to you and depends on your methods and which products you use. I'm sure you'll hear lots of "I clean mine every other decade", and some might, but those people won't be the ones standing in the winner's circle at comps.

I tried the shoot one clean one method for the first couple of rounds when i was trying to break in my first centerfire rifle a few weeks ago. From what some say it can reduce future copper fouling. Too bad i only used patches and Hoppe's #9, no brush. It was great at getting all the carbon out but when I got home and checked out the barrel more closely it was lined with quiite a bit of copper. Only put 40 rounds of .223 thru it too. Guess a brush would of helped...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried the shoot one clean one method for the first couple of rounds when i was trying to break in my first centerfire rifle a few weeks ago. From what some say it can reduce future copper fouling. Too bad i only used patches and Hoppe's #9, no brush. It was great at getting all the carbon out but when I got home and checked out the barrel more closely it was lined with quiite a bit of copper. Only put 40 rounds of .223 thru it too. Guess a brush would of helped... </div></div>

A patch will remove copper with the use of a proper copper solvent.

Yeah I didn't realize Hoppe's doesn't work well on copper. That is what you get coming from only shooting .22 rimfires previously where most of the rounds shot aren't even copper jacketed.

#9 will remove copper, it just takes it a while.
There are better copper removers out there, but #9 is a good product.

Ady

Welcome to the Hide.

You have asked one of the most commonly asked and debated "barrel" questions on the Hide

Similarly to that other old favourite "How often should I clean my barrel?", you will never get a concensus.

Just try typing either into the enhanced Search function provided to the right side of your Hide window - you'll get the idea.

If my memory is correct, Lowlight once posted an answer in a similar thread that stated he ran a test on two identical TRG's - one "broken in" and one not. He reported no apprecialble difference over the barrel life of several thousand rounds.

I'm sure the barrel manufacturer will have some alternative suggestions, as will any gunsmith - the cynical amongst us may tell you that they have a vested interest in encouraging quicker barrel wear.

I would strongly advocate using the Search function as often and as thoroughly as possible to ensure your time on the Hide is productive and as informative as possible and that you get all the necessary views to assist you in making an informed decision.

After all the opinions are voiced and debate is done, the bottom line is that it is your barrel, your money that bought it and the ammunition to put through it so it is your choice. Do what you feel works for you...

Have fun!

<span style="font-size: 8pt">(PS...FWIW I followed the recommended manufacturer's/smith's recommendation son break-in on both my AW and GAP.
wink.gif
)</span>

Shoot a boxful of ammo through it, taking care not to overheat the barrel, then clean thoroughly. If you stop a time or <span style="text-decoration: line-through">two</span> ten in between to do some additional cleaning, it might be beneficial, and I'll never tell.

Some folks like to do it during the period of the full moon and maybe also wave a severed chicken foot over the apparatus repeatedly, but I'm kinda lukewarm on that part...

Greg

You want to watch the copper. Clean after a few rounds and also it's good to run a patch down the barrel the first time you ever shoot it. I have my Remington 700 SPS Tac .308 that I can run about 400 rounds before there is any sign of copper if not more. The bore looks like a hand lapped custom barrel and its a stock Remington barrel. Copper is not your friend so watch out for it. You let your barrel foul up a lot and you will end up having a rifle that like to shoot better when fouled then when clean. I have my .308 as evidence of this.

Aron-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2clicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel break in is a hoax... pm inbound</div></div>

Why not post your reasoning? I'd like to hear it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2clicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel break in is a hoax... pm inbound</div></div>

Why not post your reasoning? I'd like to hear it. </div></div>

Barrel Break-in Research

Gale McMillan

Detailed Barrel Break-in Procedure by German Salazar Note: there is no missing data in the above link, because barrels are not shoes, and do not have to be broken-in......

I really don't understand why people keep posting threads that cover barrel break in on custom barrels that have already been hand lapped. The process that goes into one of Mike Rock's barrels is not the same as the process used on a factory Remington rifle. If you have a custom barrel from any well known quality barrel maker, then I agree completely, you probably don't have to do much of anything to get it to shoot. If you have a FACTORY barrel though, that's simply not the case.

From the first link, I'm not going to pick apart a post that is both quite old and quite long, but basically he's only talking about custom barrels, says that "break in" is a waste, goes on to recommend Mike Rock's burnishing procedure for his custom hand lapped barrels, then at the end of the post suggests Tubb's Final Finishing products to break in a factory barrel.

Gale's post is also about custom barrels, critizes some 200 round break in that I've never heard of, and admits that he doesn't have any idea what happens to a barrel during the first few shots of it's life.

German Salazar also does not shoot with factory barrels, so it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't break in his barrel either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There isn't one, just shoot it. </div></div>

This is what I do. Never had an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2clicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel break in is a hoax... pm inbound</div></div>

Why not post your reasoning? I'd like to hear it. </div></div>
Here;s one good reason

rra.jpg

Technically your not breaking in the barrel only trying to smooth out the part where the reamer stopped. Which would be the only part of a custom barrel that would need attention. It's going to be the only point of imperfection as we all know when we drill metal the point where the drilling ends is usually a bit pointed or sharp. No matter what we do nothing but bullets down the barrel will smooth that spot. I'm not saying to shoot 500 bullets and forget about it. Maybe 10 or so and clean. IMHO that's what's going to smooth out that point. And forget about brushes & solvents Foaming bore cleaners work wonders with less scubbing around in that nice new stick... yes that would be a fine way to mess things up all that monkeying around in there. You can do it with just a few patches the foaming action does all the work.

Why not post your reasoning? I'd like to hear it.</div></div>

Lowlight is the only person I know of that actually tested two identical rifles "broken in" and not broken in. No measurable difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is, in fact a difference between mass produced factory barrels and custom barrels...this thread, however, is about the latter.

OP, just shoot it, it'll be fine. </div></div>

Do Bartlein barrels come hand lapped from the factory? If so, why do they have a break in procedure on their website?

i brake all my barrels lapped or not lapped in the same way that way i know i did it theirs many out their that say no need and their probly right but im safer than sorry. don't go home the same way every day , always check the chamber, and always smell the milk before i taste just who i am.

if you don't need to brake in do it anyway and use it as getting use to trigger and harmonics of the gun, feel her, love her touch her.

or just load it up and shoot like crazy up to you, i always brake in

If you shoot them, and clean them, they break themselves in. It's not as if failing to follow a proscribed process for the first few shots will forever alter their construction. Either a barrel will break-in, and stop fouling, or it won't.

From Bartleins Web Site:

http://bartleinbarrels.com/BreakInCleaning.htm

"We pre-lap our barrels before rifling and finish lap the barrel after rifling. There is no need or under any circumstances, should you fire lap or do any other sort of bore polishing to the barrel. Contrary to what others say, a lapped barrel will not wear out earlier vs. an unlapped one. In our experience, our barrels will typically last longer than a button barrel, etc."

Like I said before the throat is is the only area of concern in a custom barrel.
The fact that some excess copper is going to get scraped off isn't going to cause any permanent structural damage. Sure your going to clean it out a bit during the first 25 shots a time or two.

The real Concern is 50,000+ psi and a burning flame at however many degrees it is, you can cure copper build up...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2clicks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From Bartleins Web Site:

http://bartleinbarrels.com/BreakInCleaning.htm

"We pre-lap our barrels before rifling and finish lap the barrel after rifling. There is no need or under any circumstances, should you fire lap or do any other sort of bore polishing to the barrel. Contrary to what others say, a lapped barrel will not wear out earlier vs. an unlapped one. In our experience, our barrels will typically last longer than a button barrel, etc."</div></div>
I didn't see any of what you just posted anywhere on the page that you linked to, however I did see a break in method that was very similar to the one I suggested.

I've had it suggested to me that if you drink a few beers while running JB bore cleaner before it's ever shot that's good enough. I'm more of the opinion that it's simply a matter of whether or not the barrel copper fouls.

A factory barrel will probably foul more than a premium which is lapped. Regardless, I think the first shots should be to get it on paper and zeroed. Then shoot to see if your reloads/ammo work well.

If you want to clean between X amount of shots or just after each, two, however many, shots to see if there's any copper you're not hurting anything.

All the bench rest boys do the shoot 1 clean 1 routine, I do too. Does it make a difference? who knows who gives a shit as well, it makes me feel the barrel is properly sorted. Do what you feel is right.
smile.gif

I have done both the break in methods by Krieger and just gone and shot 20 before cleaning...there is no difference in accuracy in those guns...barrels are hand lapped which means they are as broken in as they are going to be from the factory since there are no burrs...just call your barrel maker and ask them and they will tell you the same thing afterall this is wherer I got all my information from. The break in is more for the throat of your barrel. But again do what you feel is going to make you happy, but barrel break in is one of the those old theories that will not die...just like the 308 is a great cal although that is beginning to fade so hopefully barrel breakin will to! haha

I have spoken to three top barrels makers and based on what they have told me... any new gun I get, I just shoot and clean when I am done for the day not inbetween shots.

Whats more improtant than breaking it in, is how you clean and treat your barrel after shooting and before it.

Good luck and have fun.

My experience with new barrels on new factory rifle has not been consistent, except on one point. When they arrive newly in the box, the bores need cleaning. There's usually a crapload of industrial junk and dust, etc. living in there. While I may or may not be inclined to run abrasives down the tube, I am danged certain I don't want the first bullet driving that junk into the walls of the bore. Don't be surprised if you find copper, they do get proof fired, and subsequent cleaning? Your guess is as good as mine on that.

Factory barrels generally lack the final lapping process that a premium replacement barrel would get. The resulting inherent bore roughness contributes to initial copper/lead fouling.

Whether one firelaps or otherwise performs a bore initialization process, normal firing wear will eventually remove the bulk of this. The primary difference is about how much scrutiny this process receives. In other words, is the initialization under control or not?

Honestly, the more important part of initialization is about using the copper solvent as an indicator of the bore's copper fouling rate. The more valuable data relates to how fast the copper is accumulating, so some conscious thought can be given to whether and how often it may need to be removed.

For me, break-in consists of cleaning every few rounds, and using the patches as an indicator of when the initial high copper fouling rate is actually beginning to fall off, and how fast that process continues.

If you try this with a premium pre-lapped barrel, it should become immediately obvious that copper is not an issue, and that cleaning isn't going to tell you much other than that the copper is going to be pretty hard to find threafter.

The factory barrel generally tells a different story. Bore roughness and significant copper fouling accumulation go hand in hand. This may or may not be an accuracy issue, and the same question applies to carbon fouling as well.

It is my personal belief that carbon fouling is simply an accumulation of the graphite that is usually present in propellent kernel coatings. I think it doesn't burn very much, gets left behind when the combustibles are consumed, and may have more benefits than problems associated with it.

I'll get back to this.

Factory bore roughness is pretty much a fact of life. Over time, firing will reduce this, and copper accumulation will be proportionally reduced.

Some may not find this acceptable, and choose to hasten the process with abrasives. I have and no longer do. I can provide no better reason for either stance. I have simply become lazy in my old age and am willing to tolerate the copper accumulation. Millions of other gun owners do exactly the same and it seems to be a relatively benign policy.

I don't strongly subscibe to the concept that lapping the bore with abrasives is a harmful process. In the first case, the premium barrel makers all do it themselves. Factory barrels don't get it, and premium barrels don't need it.

In the second case, I don't see abrasive bore wear as the primary killer of good barrels. I reserve that label for firechecking, and view the abrasive wear factor as coincidental.

About carbon(/graphite?) fouling; it's a dry lube. It has a definite effect on bore transit time, and anything that does that is going to affect a load's compatibility with basic barrel harmonics. How, don't ask me, but that it's a factor, I'm certain.

To my simple mind, it clouds the accuracy issue sufficiently enough that I think I'd have to be bonkers to further complicate matters by incorporating other dry bore lubes, like moly.

This is the point where some may think I need to definitively assert the real truth about barrel break-in. So I will.

The truth is that there is no truth. That jury is still out, and I have a healthy disbelief in the words of expert witnesses on the subject. Nobody gets it all right. Until a litmus process can be derived that pries fact from opinion, nobody will.

Sorry folks, but we're all each on our own in this one.

Greg

There is NO proven method of bbl break in that helps whatsoever in making the bbl last any longer, shooter any smaller groups, or do anything any better than a bbl that was just taken to the range and fired any way you'd like. There are gunsmiths and bbl makers that will swear that you need to follow a
"break in routine" but you won't get any serious scientific data that shows any benefits. Firelaaping a cheap factory bbl is different. That help smooth minor tooling marks inside the bbl and helps reduce copper fouling.