What is the optimum barrel length for 6.5x55 ?

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
I'm thinking pretty hard about buying a CG-63 converting it to a scoped rifle. Most have 29" barrels installed but I'm not sure if this is for a complete burn or for a longer sight radius as these were made for 300m matches. Any ideas?

Paul

Re: What is the optimum barrel length for 6.5x55 ?

Thanks for the input. Looks like 23-24" seems to be the agreed upon standard. I had a 63 once for a short time. Had to sell it and have wanted another since the day it left.

Best,

Paul

I love the CG/63 but I can't find them cheap anymore.

And if you drill & tap a collectable CG/63 for modern scope then you really are hurting the collector value.

My opinion is you could build a nice CG/63 'clone' out of a M96 donor action, target barrel, and a CG/63 (or CG/80) stock for much less. If you are not going to use swede irons then the job is easier, just drill & tap...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ask Jamie.Beck how long his TacOps 6.5X55 is. </div></div>

It's 24"

IMG_0006-1.jpg

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stealthgoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the CG/63 but I can't find them cheap anymore.

And if you drill & tap a collectable CG/63 for modern scope then you really are hurting the collector value.

My opinion is you could build a nice CG/63 'clone' out of a M96 donor action, target barrel, and a CG/63 (or CG/80) stock for much less. If you are not going to use swede irons then the job is easier, just drill & tap... </div></div>

I agree. There are some out there that have already had this done to them and that's what I'm planning to buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ask Jamie.Beck how long his TacOps 6.5X55 is. </div></div>

It's 24"

IMG_0006-1.jpg

Jamie </div></div>

Very nice. I'll bet she'll shoot. What twist? Rem 700 action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: libertyman777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice. I'll bet she'll shoot. What twist? Rem 700 action? </div></div>

The twist is 8.5 and yes it is built on Rem 700LA.

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: libertyman777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Most have 29" barrels installed but I'm not sure if this is for a complete burn or for a longer sight radius as these were made for 300m matches. Any ideas?
</div></div>

As far as I know 6.5x55 match rifles with 29" barrels are mostly used for "field shooting" (Swedish: fältskytte) for distances up to, and sometimes beyond, 600 meters. 6.5x55 rifles used for 300m matches usually have 26" barrels.

My Sauer 200 STR has a 26" barrel and I am quite happy with its performance. It has a muzzle velocity of 2890 fps with Norma Diamond Line Fält (Field) ammunition. (The same ammunition is supposed to have a MV of 2950 fps with 29" barrels)