• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What is your best load with Berger VLD's for .308

Beamr308Win.

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2011
Pittsburgh Pa.
I have some 168gr. Berger Hunting VLD bullets which I plan to use for ground hogs in the spring. I will be shooting between 300 and 600 yards with a .308, the barrel is a 26" Lilja with a 1:10 twist. What is your most accurate hand load with these bullets?

Re: What is your best load with Berger VLD's for .308

I hunt using Berger 185g VLD molly bullet, 49g N550, Lapua brass, neck sized,cci br, oal 2.840in av VL 2,640 fps, Very accurate Load for my Blaser Lrs2 24in 1 in 11 twist 308.

I am shooting the 175s for hunting. Just under 44 grains varget shoots great, but since that is probably not going to help you much, I will say that seating depth is very important with the bergers. I take extra care to make them very consistent and close to the lands. When i first started with the load, I did not have them long enough and they shot quite poorly.

Depending on mag style, you may have to single load them.

331V8, I worked off your 44 varget load and I have had pretty good luck with 45gr. Varget. but with 43gr. RL-15 with the bullet set on the lands, I have been able to get 5 shots into one nice ragged hole at 100yd. measured the shots center to center at .298" Unfortunatly i do have to single load because my COL is 3.000 and my AI mag will only feed something that is at the longest 2.880 on the dot. Thanks for the tip.

What seating depth are you seating your bullets? VLD's can be touchy and are seating sensitive to find the 'sweet spot'. Tangent ogive (BT's) are much more forgiving unless you like to spend alot time at the bench testing VLD loads.