Rifle Scopes What is your favorite rifle scope?

Proviteer

Only shoot in the rain(weather permitting).
Minuteman
Supporter
Jan 24, 2024
SeaTac, WA
As the title says, I am curious what optics folks are enjoying and why? There are no wrong answers, be as specific or as vague as you like. It does not matter if you have a cardboard tube with toothpicks for a reticle, a $75 Walmart special or a $3000+ S&B.

I really enjoy this Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8 that has been mounted on my hunting rifle for years. The magnification range is perfect for Elk hunting in my corner of Washington and the scope just looks cool to me. I was able to get the optic for a great price when I was in the military and it has always been a performer. I removed the scope from the rifle(sent off for a new barrel install) and after 5 minutes with a scrubby pad and some 409 it looks nearly new.

Attachments

• Image 6-24-24 at 2.22 AM.jpeg
    Image 6-24-24 at 2.22 AM.jpeg
    728 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: KYAggie and NEC012
Cheaper: PST II 5-25 or 3-15 (amazeballs FOV on the latter)

More expensive: Razor 4.5-27 II 2C (awesome open-feeling ret for pdogs), impressed but haven’t tested them throughly —> NX8 4-32 Mil-XT & S&B 5-25 w/H2CMR.

That’s what I’ve used and liked…

Reactions: Proviteer
The S&B 4-16x42 was a really great all around optic, Perfect for a gas gun at the time. With the Gen 2XR it was a little monster.

Bushnell LRHS were also very underrated. Its a shame Bushnel/GAP did not keep working on that line, introducing a .2 has reticle would have made a great crossover scope.

TT is the best thing I have owned. (Short of a Hensdolt Spotter). ZCO and Minox right behind that, with the Gen 3 razor in solid 3rd place. Thinking of going back to Tangent to help fight the east coast mirage in the summers.

The Kahles 3-28 is a little monster too. Amazing optically.

I am waiting for the Swaro patent thing to expire, I expect in late 2025/2026 we are going to see the uncucked versions of Tangent, ZCO and S&B hit the US market. I wouldn't want to be sitting on the old models when this happens. 20-30% increase in FOV.

I'm looking at a ZCO myself. Buy once cry once. The 420 looks good and I'm curious for anyone to chime in and tell me why they would or wouldn't spend the money on this compared to a NX8 2.5-20. Thanks!
The two are not even close to the same league. If looking at the NF line the closer option would be the ATCAR 4-16 x 42.

Reactions: Secant
I hunt, so I like my little SWFA 6x42 fixed with mil quads. Excellent reticle. Very good glass. Bomb proof. Dials reliably. Holds and returns to zero.

They are on all my rifles, from 22LR to 30.06, with the exception of my little Tikka T3X .223, which sports an SWFA 3-9 mil quad FFP. Course the AR has a T1, but it's for "gunfightin". :cool:

Last edited:
I'm looking at a ZCO myself. Buy once cry once. The 420 looks good and I'm curious for anyone to chime in and tell me why they would or wouldn't spend the money on this compared to a NX8 2.5-20. Thanks!
I’ve read that more recent releases of the 2.5-20 are better, but the ones I’ve used have been dogshit. Honestly wouldn’t take one for free. Again, more recent ones might be all squared away.

The ZCO420 tends to leave about nothing on the table compared to the 527, except for the obvious extra magnification. It’s a really solid performer in my experience.

My original NF 3-15x50 F1 with 5 mil turrets and MLR reticle, learned on it, perfect and simple, will never get rid of it.
But, ZCO>DLR>VG3 these days...

ZCO 527 all day but I also really like kahles. I prefer the kahles skmr3 reticle and the parallax adjustment of kahles but everything else goes to zco for the win. I have a few of both and won't be trying anything else again. If zco or kahles doesn't make the scope, it won't be bought by me at this point for my good rifles. I've had good experience with USO scopes for some of the boys guns, and I like my LHT for weight but as I said, I won't be buying anything but zco and kahles from here on out.

Really like my new MK4HD 6x24, impressive scope on the 6.5CM. Leupold has hit a home run! Like my PSTG2 5x25 with the 22-250. Have a fun stubby Leupold VX Freedom 1.5x4 on a Mannilicher rifle, it looks the part of a safari gun. Burris Predator Quest on my truck gun is serving well as well as a Burris E1 MOA on a Ruger Number 1. And never forget several Nikons, really like the brand, optics clarity was always good to my eyes. Too bad they exited the market. Another cool scope with awesome turrets & reticle is Arken EP-4 running on a 6ARC.
Would be interested in a Zeiss LRP S3 in the future and of course a ZCO!

Last edited:
Here are my favorites. My #2 and #3 could easily flip.

1. Razor 1-6 w/ JM reticle.
2. Minox ZP5 MR4
3. Razor G3 6-36 and Ziess S3 6-36 (Tie)
4. Athlon Cronus BTR

The Razor 1-6 get the top spot because it’s the one scope I haven’t been tempted to upgrade over the years. It’s been on my SR15 for probably ten years now.

I'm rocking the Minox ZP5 with MR4 and am convinced that it's my favorite reticle. I have no complaints about the scope what so ever. I actually really like the turrets and how stiff they are.

My next scope will likely be a NF 4-16x42 ATACR but I'm still trying to talk myself into liking it. This thread is helping.

Ok, Leupold MK5 with either a PR1 or PR2. I just bought/mounted a Mk4 HD on my .22, also a PR2. Very happy with the Mk 4. I have A VX-5 on one hunting rifle, a VX-R on another. 3 Deltapoints. I guess I like Leupold. Yes, I have been present on the earth for 6 decades.
The only scope that I have looked through that I covet is a ZCO. In the process of building a 300PRC - that will be a ZCO. I run an EOTech on my "goto" ar - for me, no other rifle red dot compares.

I'm rocking the Minox ZP5 with MR4 and am convinced that it's my favorite reticle. I have no complaints about the scope what so ever. I actually really like the turrets and how stiff they are.

My next scope will likely be a NF 4-16x42 ATACR but I'm still trying to talk myself into liking it. This thread is helping.
Find a 3-15 zp5

Sold all my other scopes and changed everything to Razor Gen III 6-36

But I haven't actually looked through ZCO, TT or NF so I'll stay happy with what I have

Reactions: oldrifleman
Thought about it. I like the bomb proof aspect of the ATACR and would like it for SPR and hunting use.
I have had, and still have a 4-16x42 ATACR. I generally like it. But also, I've had ATACRs with tracking errors, canted reticles, and clutch issues. Just saying that I think the "bombproof" marketing is oversold, and NF have issues & can break like everything else. After I sold my previous 4-16x42 ATACR, I ended up circling back and grabbing another one. I like them, and I'm not shitting on them. I might even grab a 4-20 or maybe a 7-35. But also, I'd probably swap for a 3-15 Minox if it had the right reticle. My ZCO420 objectively outperforms the ATACR, as does my 3-15 Tangent.

The 4-16 baby ATACR is a good scope, and pairs well with a gas gun and/or hunting rifle. And also, there are better scopes in my experience.

Reactions: DeathBeforeDismount