What moa base for 300wm 1000yd & vortex pst?

Re: What moa base for 300wm 1000yd & vortex pst?

The more I read about the 300wm the more I see them being shot 1500+yds. Is there pros and cons when goin with say a 40 moa base vs 20?

I'd go with the standard 20 moa rail. you'll have plenty of come up. plus it's easier to find a GOOD 20 moa base for a Remington as well. Can't go wrong with Badger Ordance, or even EGW

Liberty optics has 30moa Seekins base for $109. I like the bases and rings. He is out of stock as of now on 20moa so I told him to change my order to the 30moa. I wanted it for my 260rem but will now put the 30moa to my 300wm and use the 20moa on the 260rem. I have a Vortex PST 6-24 on my 300wm. I should be OK for a 100 zero.

I would run the 20 moa, this should stretch you out far enough on the range without adding any stress to the scopes internal spring from being bottomed out and compressed the majority of the time. If you do run a 40 moa rail try to remmember to turn your turret in the middle of its travel adjustments to relax the spring some when done shooting and the guns stored.

Makes sense great info....i never would have thought about the stress on the scope. I'm going to go for the 20 moa seems like the best way to go for 100-1500

The way to maximize your total adjustment is to count the number of downward MOA adjustment remaining after you achieve zero at the desired distance. All scope/mount/rifle combos can be different. Two Savage 110FCP-hs .338LM rifles, one had a EGW 20moa base with 20moa rings, the other has a Ken Farrel 40moa base, & two identical NF optics. The ring-base combo came in short & could only zero at 300yds, the Ken Farrell can achieve a 100yd zero, with a few moa to spare. The really nice thing, is that it makes returning to zero easier when you are close to bottoming out on elevation.