• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

What scope does Finn Army use on TRG-22?

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    I've searched google and can't find an answer. A lot of pic's of "sniper" TRG-22's were civilian clones with any old optic. Found pics of Finnish snipers using the Kahles but it wasn't on the TRG-22. So my question. What scope does the Finnish Army use on its TRG-22 7.62 sniper rifle?

My current guess is the Kahles 624i based on this pic from Europe Sniper Competition 2018 in Grafenwoehr

180730-a-bs310-0363-jpg.6998986

sniper-from-finland-cycles-the-bolt-to-eject-a-spent-casing-during-the-stress-shoot-lane-of-th-jpg.6998990

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they use to top it off with a Zeiss with a Finn-Dot reticle.

my trg-42 had a factory "pencil barrel" as well.
    they are still in the mind set of snipers shoot a few shots at specific targets.
    we set up our gear for sustained fire like arty...lol.

my trg-42 had a factory "pencil barrel" as well.
    they are still in the mind set of snipers shoot a few shots at specific targets.
    we set up our gear for sustained fire like arty...lol.
    What kind of accuracy does the rifle hold then? Cold bore and hot barrel?

There is nothing "pencil" about the TRG barrel profile as it is somewhere around 22mm at the shoulder before the m18x1mm muzzle thread. I am pretty sure that it is similar or the same profile as the Tikka T3 varmint rifles use.

Oh, and i noticed that there was more then a few Nightforce scopes in that video above.

Last edited:
    There is nothing "pencil" about the TRG barrel profile as it is somewhere around 22mm at the shoulder before the m18x1mm muzzle thread. I am pretty sure that it is similar or the same profile as the Tikka T3 varmint rifles use.

Oh, and i noticed that there was more then a few Nightforce scopes in that video above.
    I wouldn't say "pencil barrel", but it is definitely a lighter profile than a lot of precision rifles I see. If it's accurate, all the better.

I wouldn't say "pencil barrel", but it is definitely a lighter profile than a lot of precision rifles I see. If it's accurate, all the better.

That is true, it is no MTU contour truck axle, thats for sure, but it is still pretty heavy.

That is true, it is no MTU contour truck axle, thats for sure, but it is still pretty heavy.
    Perspective plays a role here too. I remember the first time I saw a heavy barrel on an M21. It didn't look heavy to me from the heavy barrels I'd seen in the past. Definitely a difference in that barrel from a standard M14.

What kind of accuracy does the rifle hold then? Cold bore and hot barrel?

factory ammo would give me about .5-.7 MOA. that was with black hills and federal my rifle didnt like the lapua factory stuff.
    if might have shot a little better or more consistent but i never got comfortable on that stock.
    cold bore was spot on, when it got hot it would always stay below or at 1 MOA. 11 x 17" plates at 1k were no prob at all if i did my job.

That video is from the Sniper's Guild...many of the guns are privately owned.

" Also, Tarkka-ampujakilta, the snipers’ guild, provides a framework for those reservists that wish to maintain their know-how. Still, it is by no means a cheap hobby, and while both officers note that no amount of equipment and technology can replace the basic skill of marksmanship, long-range shooting certainly is a practice that rewards the use of high-end equipment. The current Finnish gun laws places very little restrictions on the ownership of medium-bore bolt-action rifles and their accessories, so as long as you aren’t looking for your personal Barrett M82 you should be good to go. And, yes, you are allowed to bring your own sniper rifle to war, as long as you make sure you bring the ammunition as well (or use army standard rounds)." https://corporalfrisk.com/2016/09/27/scandinavian-sniper-finnish-and-swedish-marksmen/

Nice Video.

My duty rifle for years was a TRG-22. It is not a light barrel at all. And it's still the most accurate out-of-the-box rifle I ever shot. My databook is telling me that I have about 2k more rounds before it's going to need a re-barrel. Which I am kind of dreading, because where can it go but downhill with a new barrel?

Thanks for the Guild video! Very cool!
    trg picture 2.jpg
    trg picture.jpg

Cheers,

Sirhr

Nice Video.

My duty rifle for years was a TRG-22. It is not a light barrel at all. And it's still the most accurate out-of-the-box rifle I ever shot. My databook is telling me that I have about 2k more rounds before it's going to need a re-barrel. Which I am kind of dreading, because where can it go but downhill with a new barrel?

Thanks for the Guild video! Very cool!View attachment 7001394View attachment 7001395

Cheers,

Sirhr
    Your barrel appears to be heavier than the one above. Although, with access to to a good gunsmith and top notch barrels, I don't think you have to worry about accuracy. What you have to worry about is the getting older, and the "Damn! how come there's two of them now...!":eek:

Love the pics and links!

I have wore a few barrels out on TRG 22's and have some time with the 42 338LM. Accuracy wise they are both as capable as anything made today. Cold bore is always spot on, I never get any stringing or POI shifts when running it hard, and the ergonomics of the fixed stock is better than any stock, or chassis I have ever been behind (and there is not much I have not shot...)

I am fortunate enough that I could own any rifle I want and there is a bone stock TRG 22 26" 308 in my safe right now with the TRG bipod (best field bipod ever made). I bought it with the intention of rebarreling to a 6.5X47L but it shoots too good, so I am in no hurry but eventually it will be a switch barrel rifle.

Oh, based on the info in the links provided it stated that the Finn sniper can shoot their personal firearms (as long as they can bring their ammo), if I read that correctly. So the options would be wide open. In the video there were some NF NXS scopes, PMII's, and some Zeiss Hensoldt scopes that I noticed.

Oh, based on the info in the links provided it stated that the Finn sniper can shoot their personal firearms (as long as they can bring their ammo), if I read that correctly. So the options would be wide open. In the video there were some NF NXS scopes, PMII's, and some Zeiss Hensoldt scopes that I noticed.
    Up in that neck of the woods, I'd be leaning towards a 6.5x55 or a 6.5x47.

Yes, depending on how it is throated & what bullet. The TRG mag is just over 2.950" internal, so most 260 load will work fine.

Yes, depending on how it is throated & what bullet. The TRG mag is just over 2.950" internal, so most 260 load will work fine.
    The reason i ask about .260 is it's maybe(?) more aligned within the action for better feeding. Meaning the geometry of the case works better?

If the case shape isn't all that relevant, it would then be pretty prudent to look at 6.5 CM Or, 6mm and possibly .25 Creedmoor. If you can continue to get the 131 Blackjack bullets.

To the original subject, I'm not hearing S&B. Why is that?

Last edited:
    Sandwarrior, there were a few PMII's in that video. I was shocked to see the NXS's I figured they would all be European optics...