• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What spotting scope for 600 yards paper

Beeckie

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2017
Hi guys, been reading the posts in this forum but still not sure what to get. I’m looking for a spotting scope that is capable of seeing 6mm holes in paper at 600 yards and spotting just on steel at 1500 yards. Is this something that’s possible?

Reactions: PB"
Mirage is going to be your enemy at getting this done. In perfect conditions there are spotters that are capable, however, perfect conditions are rare.
If you have a few moments give us a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss different options. It would be a pleasure to "meet" you and to assist you.
Thanks and have a great day

Reactions: Dan M
Yep condition of the atmosphere is the big problem . Even the shitty Tasco spotter that lives in my car,
can easily see 6 mm holes in light coloured paper in great conditions . When it’s hot , forget it , even the
Swaro and the Henny have no chance .

Was out 2 weeks ago testing a prototype riflescope , beautiful clear cool day and could easily see impacts
on a KO2M sized plate at 2550 yards . Some days in the same location in summer , there is so much
shimmer it’s impossible to detect the plate moving after impact , from the wobble from mirage .

I have a Leica 20-60 that is great and all, but becomes pretty much useless on a sunny day past 20x. You can barely see the numbers on an f class target at 500 with the mirage. No chance of seeing holes

How about a target camera ... good out to a mile and cheaper than a high end spotter.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...ong-range-edition-1-mile-target-camera-system
A friend has that exact system, it has never worked properly. We have tried it in an area with no other signals and in an area inundated with electronics, no go on either. We tried side-by-side and 500-600 yards away, it didn't like either. It is anecdotal, I know, but don't expect awesome results without some effort.

A friend has that exact system, it has never worked properly. We have tried it in an area with no other signals and in an area inundated with electronics, no go on either. We tried side-by-side and 500-600 yards away, it didn't like either. It is anecdotal, I know, but don't expect awesome results without some effort.

Thanks for the "heads up" ... guess I still expect products to work as advertised.

For the target cams, have you ever tried using them at a public range? Are people willing to let you use them?

I've been on a public range with one in use, the pieces are small and unobtrusive. I'm not sure why there would be an issue: the camera sits in front of the target and usually off to one side. As this particular individual couldn't hit a barn if shooting from inside said barn, the camera was in far more danger than it normally would be.
There is always the off chance that someone hits the camera unit accidentally - and, considering the people I usually shoot with, there is some concern that someone shoots it non-accidentally.
The one I observed in use was on a hot day at a 400 yard line (spotter was useless, so we were shooting steel gongs.) His target was very clearly visible, and he had software that allowed the marking of shots in sequence. I don't recall much about his setup, other than it seemed far too intricate for a guy having trouble at a 400 yard line.

I have one of the long range target cameras and it's awesome. For static paper punching I won't ever buy another spotting scope. I've been told you can DIY one for cheaper but I went with the commercial offering and have been very pleased. I set it up with an iPad and even my skeptical friends have like using it.

Not sure I'd put it out at a crowded public range though.

FWIW this is the one I have. Not as sleek and compact as some of the others but I got a good deal on mine as someone returned it to the store and I bought it open box.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 2.29.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 2.29.52 PM.png
    304.2 KB · Views: 156
The one I have has 2 signal emitter/receivers w/built in batteries and a camera. If I'm shooting relatively close <300 yards then only one receiver is used. You download the app onto your device and then connect to the camera's built in wifi network. Once you launch the app then you have the image right there in front of you.

Using the app you can zoom in/out, measure groups, save pictures of targets etc.

It really is pretty cool.

A bullet camera is the way to go when spotting shots past about 300. I have had Kowa 77mm, 82mm and Leica 77mm scopes and they MAY see a hole on a target 600yds away if it's backlit and ZERO mirage.
Don't throw that spotter away if you buy a camera system, though. That camera cannot dope mid-range mirage for you. That's what most NRA/CMP highpower/long range competitors use the spotter for.