• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing What the best rem 700 style action

Re: What the best rem 700 style action

If you are indeed researching Rem 700 clone actions, there are tons of threads on this site and others about ach one of them. Just google "Rem 700 Clone" and you will see the huge list of different actions that will work. Each have some pros and some have some cons depending on what you are looking to do with it.

Pick one you like. Every one I've built guns on have worked well. Don't become seduced/corrupted with the "tighter the tolerances the better" line of thought. All the boutique actions are built to a higher standard than the production version they replace. Make sure the design fits your application and enjoy the process of your rifle coming to life. A good smith will be comfortable with any well made product.

Good luck!

C.

i still a fan of a trued remington 700 for a tactical rifle. they do all i need them to do without all the fluff. if you want fluff, then there are plenty of choices out there.

i feel the biggest drawback of the remington 700 is the soldered bolt handle. there are ways to address that though.

does anyone own any b&C stocks. i recently purchased an a5 and was wondering why is their logo not on the stock! is it legit? u think they would want to flaunt their logo because of their prestige! if anyone has any info id appreciate it! thank you:)

Any of the Defiance made actions that they, GAP, UGSW, SAC, or many others use.

Everything about them is good IMO.

Others have features I don't like.
The straight out handles that are becoming more and more common I absolutely hate. I like them to sweep back slightly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i still a fan of a trued remington 700 for a tactical rifle. they do all i need them to do without all the fluff. if you want fluff, then there are plenty of choices out there.

i feel the biggest drawback of the remington 700 is the soldered bolt handle. there are ways to address that though. </div></div>

A classic never dies. . .
smile.gif

I like surgeon actions personally just on looks though and I think with all the good custom actions that's what it comes down to cos end of the day they all pretty much run the same tolerances cos if they come out of a cnc they run off a perfect blueprint anyway and the cnc holds the tolerance tight

i wouldn't assume just because something came off of a cnc machine that it is exactly per print or has super tight tolerances. there has to be a person to maintain that quality control on a manual or cnc machine. tools wear, material differs slightly from batch to batch, ect. the designer specs the tolerances. the machine operator is the one expected to hold those tolerances whether it be cnc or manual.

i bet you would find many cnc machines in remington's factory these days...

Case in point:

Had 2 very well known/raved about actions that were identical twins.

.012" difference in guard screw hole locations. . .
Measured/verified on a rock with a B/S digital height stand.

One reason why we always "ding" the action prior to inletting a stock.

I'm sure Remington has cnc machines but do they cnc their actions and Edm the raceways on their standard rifles as far as I knew their investment cast not machined from a billet their barrel threads are tapped not turned and so on. I agree it's the operator at the end of the day but mass production has compounded tolerance errors where as a custom action that is made in smaller quantities and probably by a better trained tradesman the quality can/will be higher and I'm sure if your making a higher quality action your going to have tighter quality controls that's why even Remington have their standard rifles and if you want better quality they have their custom shop rifles so that was what I ment by using a cnc machine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Cal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure Remington has cnc machines but do they cnc their actions and Edm the raceways on their standard rifles as far as I knew their investment cast not machined from a billet their barrel threads are tapped not turned and so on. I agree it's the operator at the end of the day but mass production has compounded tolerance errors where as a custom action that is made in smaller quantities and probably by a better trained tradesman the quality can/will be higher and I'm sure if your making a higher quality action your going to have tighter quality controls that's why even Remington have their standard rifles and if you want better quality they have their custom shop rifles so that was what I ment by using a cnc machine </div></div>

i think you are wrong about remington 700 receivers being investment cast, or cast in any fashion for that matter.

allowed tolerances have nothing to do with a cnc or manual machines. tolerances are part of the engineering. holding the tolerance is part of the manufacturing. a mass-manufacture will most likely have looser tolerances than a small niche manufacture so that nearly any part will function with nearly any mating part. out of tolerance is out of tolerance whether it be remington or surgeon, whether it be broached or wired out. the machine has nothing to do with what is allowed out the door.

method of manufacture is the least of my concerns when selecting an action. if one manufacture specs the raceway to be .700" +/-.001" (random numbers) and the other manufacture specs the same, one gets there with a wire edm and the other broaches it, the end result is the same.

Ok custom shop may not be the best but I was using them as a same pate of one company that supposedly produce better rifles and 300sniper I think we're saying the same thing broaching or Edm whatever the smaller manufacturers won't let the same quality out the door as a large manufacturer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SOONERS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im about to get a rifle built and Im debating on buying another brand of rem 700 style action over the remington 700 action. </div></div>

If you can afford the few extra hundred dollars for a premium action, I'd say do it. I personally like the Surgeon 591 but the benefit of getting a Surgeon, Stiller, Borden, etc. is these manufacturers donate many actions to many various tournaments throughout the country and it would be nice to purchase something from those that support the shooting community.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quality. . .custom shop. . .

That's funny!

Does that include the custom shim washers to get the floorplate level with the stock</div></div>

You mean to say that charging someone $3500 for a "custom built" rifle and "pillar bedding" it with 5 washers from Home Depot isn't standard practice? You better be careful Chad or "Dog the Bounty Hunter" is going to rough you up buddy!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I hear dawg should pick up a pooper scooper on his next trip for washers.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Bwahahahahaha!!