• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What twist rate do you run, .243?

oldschoolhdmike

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
I am building a rifle for mainly target shooting. I decided on the .243. I already have a donor rifle, a savage axis 2, that I will use the action from. My question is on the barrel. I have been reading forums and have seen a bunch of mixed opinions. I am asking the people who actually shoot .243. I know I want to run heavier bullets. From what I am seeing maybe a 1/7 or 1 1/8 would be best. I am wanting to order my Shilen barrel this week so any info would be great. Also, I can load, but I will probably mostly run off the shelf ammo at first. Also, any info on any other barrels you have had good luck with. Thanks

What elevation are you at? 1:8 has worked fine for me running 105's, 110's, 112's. I have shot this as low as 4000 ft elevation with no problems. Safer would be 1:7.5 or 1:7 if you are worried about it. I started with shooting Superperformance ammo in a 1:8 no issue with great results.

I've played with 243 a lot over the last two years, both a 10" twist and 7" twist. I am abandoning the 7" twist. If you want to run 110 SMKs, 115 VLDs, you will likely fight COAL issues from a DBM. If you have the room in an internal magazine, go for it. Otherwise my recommendation is to use 7.5" or 8" twist and stick with Sierra 107s or Berger 105s. The Old 243 Win is an awesome cartridge.

I am in GA, Elevation should not be an issue. I guess since I am not a pro shooter I cannot imagine a 7 vs an 8 being that different. Which is why I ask you guys that have experience with it. I can see a 14 like some factory rifles would be way different. Also, in my search for barrel info I came across x-caliber barrels. direct fit barrels. any info on these?

What factory ammo for long range will you be shooting in the .243? Just wondering as if you can find it it is usually pretty expensive. You can find cheap hunting ammo but it's not ideal for long range.

As for a twist I have used a 7.5 twist with up to 115s and now run an 8.5 twist as my only bullet used will be the 105 BTHP. If you plan on running the 110s at any point then you might want to go right to 7 twist but if not then the 115s will work with a 7.5 just fine.

Reactions: spife7980
The twist has nothing to do if you are a pro shooter or not. It has to do with stabilizing the projectile you want to shoot. Both stabilizing the same projectile, a 8 will likely shoot just as good as an 7. But the lower in elevation you go, the denser the air, the more likely you would see stability issues IF you are on the ragged edge of being unstable/marginally stable. Berger has a good stability calculator to determine twist rate. For a constant projectile (length, weight, BC) it is dependent on velocity. It does not matter if I shoot it out of a 6 BR, 6 Creedmoor, or 243 Win, stability doesn't depend on the name of the cartridge. Go look at any thread on stability of whatever pill you want to shoot and that would probably get you more answers more quickly.

If you look sierra calls for a 1:7 or faster for the 110 smk. Plenty of people, including myself have had acceptable results shooting them in an 8 twist. In the Berger calculator, an 8 twist will be marginal stability at 3100 feet per second.

I would be more worried about the barrel manufacturer and who chambered it.

1-10 would be fine. My 1-9&1/8 twist Remmy likes anything from 58 gr VMax to 100 grainers. If you were only going to shoot light bullets, the 12 would be fine. But with the 85s you mentioned, go with a 10 twist.

I didn't mention 85's. I am looking more toward the 90-100 grains. I have some 90 grain smk I bought for my 224 Valkyrie, looks like the safe bet is a 7.5. x-caliber list on as 1/7.7. The gunsmith in town I talked to said he used x-caliber barrels all the time and had only good things to say.

I have a really good small ammo shop in town. Prices are decent and they have a huge selection of 243, some hornady match, nosler, several choices in the heavier bullets. They are about $1-$1.50/ round

Sound like you are looking at hunting ammo with lower BCs. Not all ammo is the same even if the bullet weights are similar. Are you hunting with the ammo or wanting to shoot long range targets?

and this is why i come here. so a 90 grain smk that i would load into my 224 valkyrie would not be any good for the 243? Who would offer "range" box ammo then? I did not look real close the other day but I go by there weekly and i will stop and see. If i need to i will just load from the start if that is the better way to go.

:whistle:
and this is why i come here. so a 90 grain smk that i would load into my 224 valkyrie would not be any good for the 243? Who would offer "range" box ammo then? I did not look real close the other day but I go by there weekly and i will stop and see. If i need to i will just load from the start if that is the better way to go.

I think the previous post to yours is somewhat tongue in cheek. The Valkyrie bullets you’re talking about are the wrong diameter to fit the 243. If what you’re wanting to shoot lighter bullets than there are lighter weights like the 87 gr. bullets that will work fine for shorter distances. I think you’ll find out that hand loading will really wake your rifle up if you’re looking for the best accuracy you can get out of it.

Mike

Reactions: FishDr
i feel like an idiot to be honest. i knew my 224 was different but somehow my mind is stuck on the bullet weight. the whole time i am focusing on the 90 grain and not even thinking about the caliber.....i did this the other day when me and my dad were arguing over 6.5 creedmoor. you will have to forgive my ignorance. the only hand loading i have done was 6.5 cm for a howa rifle. i did maybe 20 rounds so i am very novice.

My mind breaks lock quite often and I think about one thing but say another. Just one of those things. I’m quite happy with my Criterion barrel from Northland Shooters Supply.

Mike

+1 for Criterion and NSS. I run a 1:7.5" twist with 115 dtacs from a .243AI. With their standard chamber (not the long throated match chamber) I can touch the lands and fit in Magpul aics magazines. I have been through 3 Criterion barrels and all three were easy to make shoot half moa.

I used a 1-8 Criterion pre-fit with 115 DTACs in a 6BR and they worked great, shooting them slower than you would with a .243 Winchester. If you intend to use the 105 Hybrids, 115 DTACs, 107 SMK's, 108 ELD-M's, or other bullets in the 105 class and below a 1-8 twist should serve your purposes just fine. If you intend to shoot other 115's or the 110 SMK, a 1-7.5 or 1-7 twist would be preferable.

I stand by my previous recommendation. 7.5-8" twist. It'll shoot everything from 75gr-105gr bullets. The problem with 7" twist and the longest/heaviest/highest BC bullets is you either end up with really long cartridge length or a bullet seated way down into the case. If you want to single load you'll be fine, maybe okay with a built in mag, but for a detachable box magazine it's just not ideal. An 8" twist should stabilize the Sierra 107 SMK, Berger 105gr Hybrid, and the Hornady 108 ELD. These all have very good BCs and I think they're not particularly finicky on load depth BUT you will have to handload these.

If you're purely sticking with factory ammo, your options will be very limited. HSM offers ammo with the 95gr VLD loaded. Not sure beyond that on higher BC bullets. If you're not handloading and those are too expensive, you might consider a different caliber (6mm Creedmoor for example). Otherwise you're pretty well stuck with run of the mill hunting ammo, for which a 10" twist will suffice.

Reactions: FishDr
I use 7.5 twist for bullets above 100 gr. My factory 9.25 twist has been great for everything up to 107 gr. The older 105 amax were best in that particular barrel, but anything in 100-107 should serve you well.
Apologies to OP for not making my attempt at humor more clear. @Bandit320 was correct - tongue in cheek!
Best of luck with the project.

Reactions: hausser
I am running a 26" 1-8 twist on my 243win and feel it's an excellent all around since I have no plans on running any of the light for caliber varmint bullets.
It hammers with both the 105amax and 105 Scenars running both around 3100fps and the lightest I have run are the Berger 88FBLD that were surprising easy to tune.

I shoot a 20 inch 243 win with a 8 twist barrel. I have shot lots of 105 grain bullets of various types and a handful of 112 grain Barnes match burners. Everything is stable to at least 1k. I am at 4500ft elevation.

I Cant remember exactly data. But close to the list below.
13 tw for 60-80gr
10 tw for 81-100gr
8tw for 101-110gr or dtac 115
7tw for 110+
Faster tw will be just fine.
But don't run heavy bullet in slow tw barrel.
So,
Longer range heavier bullet faster tw.
Shorter range lighter bullet slower tw.
I use 7.5 for berger 105 and 88gr in 6BR
if you shoot 6 dasher or 6xc
115gr is better choice

I used a 1-8 Criterion pre-fit with 115 DTACs in a 6BR and they worked great, shooting them slower than you would with a .243 Winchester. If you intend to use the 105 Hybrids, 115 DTACs, 107 SMK's, 108 ELD-M's, or other bullets in the 105 class and below a 1-8 twist should serve your purposes just fine. If you intend to shoot other 115's or the 110 SMK, a 1-7.5 or 1-7 twist would be preferable.
I started out running the 115 DTAC in a 1:8. I am about 1000' ASL. They work great as long as it isn't cold. They are very borderline below 50 degrees and do wonky things in the wind. Below 30 degrees they fall apart.

I run a 6mm Competition Match, which is a very slightly improved 243 case.
I have a Krieger 28" Medium Palma 1-7.5 twist on my Eliseo Chassis and it shoots great. For the NRA High Power matches I use 95gr SMK for 200 yards and 115gr DTAC's for 300 and 600yards. I'm using either H1000 or Ramshot Magnum and keeping the velocity around 3100fps. I'm located in the Pittsburgh PA area and I'm right around 1000ft ASL.

I tried to use some 87gr VMax bullets for light weight standing/sitting loads, but they didn't group very well with the Ramshot Magnum and the 95gr SMK's shoot so good and have such little recoil I didn't feel like trying to find another powder/charge for the VMax's.

Good luck,
Ross

ok. I ordered a barrel today. I called and talked to James at NSS and ordered a barrel Criterion, 26" 1-7.5 twist. I looked at all his 243 ammo at the shop
and it was all hunting loads. They do have reloading supplies so I am going to do some research so I can get some loads done for testing.

ok. I ordered a barrel today. I called and talked to James at NSS and ordered a barrel Criterion, 26" 1-7.5 twist. I looked at all his 243 ammo at the shop
and it was all hunting loads. They do have reloading supplies so I am going to do some research so I can get some loads done for testing.
If you are ordering a barrel and don’t want to reload then you should have gone 6 creed. Essentially the same thing but almost all of the ammo options are good match ammo unlike a 243 in which basically none of the options are good match ammo.

Last edited:
I actually called back and ordered a 6mm cm also. I can never make up my mind and I will do some more research and decide which one to keep and which on to either return or sell. I may keep both and build two rifles. I have been this way my whole life. I use to build bare bones harleys and i would order 3 different front ends, see what i liked and then sell what i didnt use. I ordered the 6mm cm with a threaded muzzle though....

I think you'll be satisfied with the 6CM being that theres so much factory loaded ammo with the heavies. Usually, factory loaded .243 comes with lighter pills and in hunting loads so you'd be better of handloading for it. Either way, I like both.