Gunsmithing Whats in your toolbox?

6.81star

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2008
Nebraska
What's all in your toolbox. I've got the basic machinist tools what are some other things that would be useful. I already have small screwdrivers, allen wrenches, torx bits, brass hammer, and other small hand tools. I also have a barrel vise and action wrench all in a nice kennedy roll away. Is there any thing else. I know for sure a scope mounting setup probably the wheeler fat wrench.

Re: Whats in your toolbox?

a set of feeler gauges , thread gauge set , Starret 60 deg center gauge , a few small V-blocks , some paralels , a jewlers lupe , a range of files , a set of small punches , several small pieces of brass to strike as drifts and such.

most importantly a key to your buddys tool box
grin.gif

My tool boxes aren't compartmentalized into "gun" tools, "reloading" tools or change the oil in the truck tools. But when I die my kids will have a fortune in tools fall into their laps.

Wait... That isn't exactly true. I have a range box that goes with me to the range ONLY. In the top is the Harrell's powder measure, loading block, extra ear plugs and a couple of powder bottles.

top drawer...0-1" micrometer, 0-6" dial calipers, small flashlight with fiber optic cable about 2' long, note pad, index cards, pens, pencils and stick eraser, magnifying glass and jewelers loup.

second drawer... 3 Wilson inline dies, green Redding box full of die bushings, ogive attachments for 22, 6mm and 30 cal., bullets, small hand tools for cleaning primer pockets and such.

bottom drawer... small screwdriver set of about 40 different tips, small box of tools like scissors, dental picks, steel wool, tube of VERY small screws for scopes, nail with duct tape wrapped around it about 6 feet, pair of miniture sized "Vise Grips" and slip joint pliers, 6" nail and 20 feet of thin wire with aligator clamps attached for grounding the powder measure.

Is that something like what you wanted to know?

I'm a laid off Machinist so I have a Fourtune of tools to pick from now but here is what my box consistes of

1st drawer-Tons of feeler gauges, shim stock, stones,dowel pins, and brass knockers

2nd drawer-0-6 Starret mics, 12" starret& B&S calipers, 6" Starret & B&R calipers

3rd drawer-0-12 Mit ID mics, 0-6 Starret depth mics, .5-6" B&R Teliscoping gauges, about 6 more packs of feeler gauges and a set of thread wires (thread wires are a must when threading)

4th drawer-7 sets of 1-2-3 blocks, drill point gauge, thread gauges, edge finder, tap guide, drifts, 1-6 mic standards, starret combination square set, adjustable parreles

5th drawer- 2 sets of v blocks, 4 sets of jack screws, B&R precision squares, Parallel set, and.05-4" gauge block set

6th drawer- hand tools,screw drivers, hammers, wrenches, 1/4",3/8",1/2" tourque wrench....

7th drawer-about 6 sets of allen packs

8th drawer-about 2 tons of end mills, taps, inserts, and other tooling

9th drawer-mag base, indicol, B&R .001 test indicator, .0005 Interapid test indicator (Interapid is the best indicator I have every used if you have the money to buy one), and 2 starret 1" travel dial indicators, and a mirror on a stick

10th drawer- air grinders and stones and brushes

Thats not everything and I know i probably left out something important but i've never needed a tool I couldn't turn around open a drawer and pick up you can't have to many.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">all I can picture is Boltripper dancing around in baggy pants singing "Stop! Hammer time!" </div></div>

don't forget these......
wink.gif

81_2_ca-858-sb-0052-vorn-a46.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
don't forget these......
wink.gif

81_2_ca-858-sb-0052-vorn-a46.jpg
</div></div>

Since I wear safety prescription glasses all the time, it slipped my mind. But I do have extra non-prescription safety glasses in my range bag as well as in all my tool boxes. Ear plugs and muffs as well.

An accumulation of Allen wrenches. A screwdriver with an assortment of interchangeable bits. Outer's foam bore cleaner and patches, a rod guide, and a one piece 36" rod with long slotted tip carried in the rifle case. Oil and medium strength thread locker. Bug repellent. A collapsible rifle cleaning rest

If it can't be dealt with using this, it goes home for more detailed attention; very likely with STP in attendance.

Greg

If your trying to put together a gunsmiths toolbox, make sure you buy a big one, I can safely say, you'll never have it full. theres always going to be something you'll have to buy, it goes on forever. There isnt a box out there big enough except a workshop. The list of reamers and headspace gauges is huge then theres range rods, reamer bushings, lathe tools, milling cutters, drills, measuring equipment, barrel vice, vice bushings, action wrenches, punches, screwdrivers,floating reamer holder, Lathe, milling machine, saw, epoxies, files. It just goes on and on. I just keep buying for most jobs that come up. If I dont have the tools neccessary for each individual job, I just order them along with the parts for each job. Its a progressive build up over years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is a picture of my gunsmiting tool box. I get to move into a new 6000 sqft tool box the first of the year. this is all crammed into 1500..

business_end_of_shop.JPG

</div></div>

Adopt me........
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i graduated college with a degree in hammer technology....

so all i need is a hammer,....priceless.</div></div>

Another 59 hours and you could be an aircraft mechanic ...like Lowell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i graduated college with a degree in hammer technology....

Another 59 hours and you could be an aircraft mechanic ...like Lowell.</div></div>

.....me thinks the TV series reference is lost on many.....very clever though...Boltripper Laughs

......is duct tape a tool ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i graduated college with a degree in hammer technology....

Another 59 hours and you could be an aircraft mechanic ...like Lowell.</div></div>

.....me thinks the TV series reference is lost on many.....very clever though...Boltripper Laughs

......is duct tape a tool ? </div></div>

It depends on the application. Chief mechanic of Sandpiper airlines I think, man it has been a while since I watched that. I actually have duct tape on my hammer, best of both worlds
wink.gif

I have practically every tool Snap-On makes... Not to mention almost ever specialty tool reequired to rebuild just about any major diesel engine... Trying to switch over from diesel tech. to gunsmith lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TapoutSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have practically every tool Snap-On makes... Not to mention almost ever specialty tool reequired to rebuild just about any major diesel engine... Trying to switch over from diesel tech. to gunsmith lol </div></div>
Same here, but remember the most important tool, your BFH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Diesels, LOL</div></div>

Too bad you never worked on a diesel pig like a 1900, Saab or a Dash 8...Nothing like JP8 on you that never seems to come out for 3 weeks. Better yet Skydrol. After 6 months I put a shirt on that got saturated with it and I'm stinging in about 30 minutes. I'm on fire if I do something that requires sweating. I'd like to go back and kill the SOB that invented that stuff. I know he's already dead from it. I just want to remind him not to do it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mostly Detroits, some Cats, a few Cummins, and 1 International. Nothing like you have done, : ).</div></div>

And I nothing like you have done...except get filthy a few times when we had to get a skidder working or split a Ford 5600 to change an engine. My level of various pieces of aviation equipment is pretty good. Having the tools, Facility, and know how to work on heavy equipment hasn't been my strong suit. Funny though, it was one of the fields I was looking at when I went into aviation. Sometimes I say great move, other times it was the dumbest thing I did.

Edit:

My big pet peeve, and I'm sure you get it too, is every piece of equipment, somewhere, somehow, causes you to give blood. I absolutely hate that. If it's smashing fingers pulling a generator/alternator off or cutting your arms up on safety wire because that's the only way the last guy could do it to close it up right. It just ain't right that a machine should have your blood...unless you want it to.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A5cneCgNA9U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A5cneCgNA9U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got plenty of scars too sand. Yesterday I decided to slice open the knuckle of my thumb on the threading tool while setting up a barrel. Guns are no different. If you are doing it, your'e gonna give some blood. The ones who don't bleed aren't trying hard enough, lol.</div></div>

I'm laughing now too. I sure wasn't when I needed stitches but had to tape up a finger because we needed a plane out. Nor was I laughing when I got 'branded' by the exhaust on a 1900. Turbine engines get damn hot.
mad.gif
...Damn 'em.
cool.gif

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too. Keeping the machines rolling...
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriot1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was a tool and die maker for 13 years, the question is what don't I have
smile.gif
</div></div> I am also a Tool&Die maker, 28 years now. I could give away half of my tools and i would still have too many. I think i have just about every type of tool that Starrett has produced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolmaker64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriot1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was a tool and die maker for 13 years, the question is what don't I have
smile.gif
</div></div> I am also a Tool&Die maker, 28 years now. I could give away half of my tools and i would still have too many. I think i have just about every type of tool that Starrett has produced. </div></div>
I am in need of donations my friend
smile.gif