• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What's the most reliable AR you've ever owned?

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
I just got back from the range and saw a serious number of malfunctions on ARs. Probably about 50% had at least 1 malfunction. So that leads me to polling you since most people here expect a lot out of their rigs.

So what's the most reliable gas gun you've ever had, and how many rounds did you put through it? If I don't have you're exact make, then mark other and put your vote below.

Re: What's the most reliable AR you've ever owned?

Just got into the gas gun with the 308 caliber. Prior to that, I was shooting the 223 only. My colt is extremely reliable. I can't even remember the last time I had a malfunction.

Just got a POF rifle in 308. Had some minor FTF with handloads rounds, but I attributed to the handloading. It never had any problem with manufactured ammo. So, it certainly is top on my list of troublefree gas gun also.

I have had perfect service out of a bushmaster and a bcm sbr. The bushmaster I've had for a long time and used at the range as well as in the field. It's been a good reliable gun. The BCM is fairly new and I haven't made a lot of time to shoot it but it has been perfect so far as well.

What were the majority of malfunctions? Were they shooter induced? Ammo or magazine related? I am on the range at least 10 days out of the month and I would say if we had a 50% of our shooters experiencing a malfunction every time we trained we would be looking for a new weapon system.

my bastard Eagle lower, armalite upper, bushmaster barrel, GGg rear sight, PRI front sight, geissle(SP) trigger, sopmod stock, magpul grip, shot out the original barrel and put on the bushy heavy barrel. Take care of them and they work.

The malfunctions today could have been shooter induced, some of them anyway. But the combination of lots of dust/dirt and the rapid number of sequences we shot seemed to be bogging a few of the rifles down.

Frankly, the rifles that had the most problems were the Franken guns people had put together themselves. It seemed like those were the main culprits. There may have been an issue with handloads with another guy, but I'm not sure. He was fuming so I figured I'd wait to ask.

Incidentally, my issue M4 never had a jam in all the ranges, shooting courses, and downrange. I kept a good amount of oil on it, but it ran and ran. Colt got my vote.

My PWS long stroke piston uppers have always been reliable. I just put a 16" LMT carbine through an EAG Tactical class where it went through 1600rds in three days without issue. I did upgrade the extractor spring and action springs to Wolff extra power models. This mitigated recoil and also made for more positive extraction. I am convinced that as long as you stick to quality parts, even a home built AR can be reliable.

I'm not voting, simply because of the three AR's I own and/or have used extensively, my issues have been virtually nil, and I can't select more than one.

DPMS AP-4 (don't have but 100 or so rounds through it- not really a good test of reliability)

S&W MP15- Close to 1000rds, no failures

Cold M4- Issue weapon, zero weapon only malfunctions; all issues have been magazine related, and that is very much minimized with newer mags and constant inspection. Thousands of rounds fired- couldn't even guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote for me!!! </div></div>

Well, now you've got 2 votes. Scott's rifles run great.

I'm sure folks are tired of me saying it, but it still impressed the shit out of me that George Gardner (GAP) picked your upper off a prize table.

Armalite all the way. Do with who designed it. Most malfunctions today come from one of 3 things, poor workmanship or QC at the factory-everyone has bad days at work, shooter induced-bad handloads or sloppy maintenance, or magazine related. I would have to say thats a pretty reliable platform.

My lmt has yet to hic-up, oil frequently and clean usually around the 1000/1500 round mark.

My Armalite only one casing ripped in half, bad ammo related. Thousands of rounds through it.

I only have an RRA and it has been great. The only malfunctions it's had were due to screwed up cases (handloads) and dead primers (factory). I have ~2500 rounds through it.

My mutts with Sun Devil recievers have always run very well. But I always use high quality parts. Like Les Baer, or Young Mfg. I think the AR's are usually the sum of their parts.

I had an FN M16 and Colt M4 that went strong and the distance, each had well over 12K rounds through it, and for the 4K that i put through them, only malfunctions were due to a magazine. Key is keeping them some what maintained.

I run a Spikes Tactical and a DMPS LR-308. I have around 400 rnds through my Spikes and 300 through my LR-308 they both run like a top.

None of my personal ARs have ever had any reliability issues. Yesterday my two RRA/CAVARMS hybrids (1 .223, 1 9mm) went through 200+ rounds each in competition without issue. Can't say the same for several other higher end rifles (including a FN SCAR). My issue Bushmaster has not been perfect though it is reliable now. I voted RRA simply because that is what most of mine are.

All of the AR type rifles that I have owned over the past 35 years (Bushmaster, Daewoo, Colt, Noveske and ArmaLite AR-10) have been equally reliable. All of them were DI guns.

It's amazing how little you hear about CMMG. I can't wear mine out (16" middy) and not a single failure Not even a hiccup and I think Armalite should be at the top of your list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't say the same for several other higher end rifles (including a FN SCAR).</div></div>

My FN SCAR is fantastic! I have put thousands of rounds through it, many were hand loads, many were rapid fire. I have exercised minimal cleaning with it. Zero Malfunctions!

Now to be fair, the first 4 shots our of the box didn't cycle the bolt. I was heartbroken. Then I realized that some joker at the gun store had turned the gas regulation port to the <span style="font-style: italic">suppressor</span> setting before I bought it.
blush.gif

After a quick flip to unsuppressed, BANGBANGBANG!

I have a DPMS AP4 that I have had plenty of problems with, and I keep that weapon spotless. (I would much rather have a colt) I also have an FN SCAR 16s and that weapon runs flawless and accurate. Like stated above it will run and run even with minimal cleaning. I dont know about a lot of you, I just get sick of cleaning my AR for hours after I shoot. the scar takes me 30 minutes tops and that's getting picky.

I've had a Colt 6600 HB since they first came out and have never had a single problem with it. I've had a 6920 for about 5 years with the same reliability. Can't say the same for my Ruger SR 556 which is back at the factory after less than 400 rounds.

Personally I've had experience with Bushmaster, POF, Armalite, and Colt. Truly none of them have ever had a jam that i could attribute to the weapon itself. Almost all jams had to do with magazines. Then again, i never did put them into a mud puddle or buried them and then tried to fire.

Some of them i fired more than the others of course. With the Colt i was involved in a ammo dump. We fired so many rounds that we had cook offs. No jamming issues, but it was a real pain to clean.

I guess that would be the biggest reason I like my POF so much. You don't have that direct gas going into the bolt. As a result it gives me piece of mind of sorts. I find that i don't worry about it nearly as much as the others. The bolt is cold after a shoot and not all the carbon build up no matter what i put through it.

Just to be fair, i don't know if i could vote for my POF though just because of a lack of drill running and real world use. On paper its better, but my lack of experience with it doesn't allow me to put that final stamp on it.

Man i love that thing though.

bushmaster modular 7years old with more round than I can guess- problem free other than GI mag related issues.
LWRC M6A3, about 4K through it in 2 years with zero problems.
POF 308, returned to factory for feed problems, came back, (very quickly, excellent CS from Brandon, Darrel and Frank), hammered 800 assorted quality rounds through it in one afternoon, another 2000 since, runs like a raped ape now.

My bushy, sad to say, is mine. I've spent a lot more money, but haven't had a more reliable AR. No clue what so ever on round count, but it's high.

My BM started short-stroking due to gas key not staked properly. Tightened it down again and it's good to go. My Franken-SPR (Scottmilk9 lower/colt upper, BCM BCG, Douglas barrel) has yet to hiccough in over 500rds of 22lr, 223, 5.56 and handloads. I keep it wet (well-oiled).

Had an old shrubmaster with 1,000's of rounds through it and never a problem. I cleaned it once a year whether it needed it or not.

I built several frankenguns and had a hickup here and there. No real problems other then say a failure to feed or failure to fire. No parts failures. Tried just about every name out there mixed and matched.

But after switching over to POF I havent had one issue ever. They stand behind their product and I havent had one problem with their customer service ever. They have always answered the phone and answered every question I had. Spoke to Frank a few times and he is top notch. So a top notch gun with top notch customer service goes a hell of a long way for me!

I only ever owned one complete factory AR and it didn't stay in the factory configuration for long. I've built every AR I own from quality parts and have run some of these guns very, very hard. When I was selling suppressors I was performing demos frequently (several times a month and sometimes a couple times a week) and couldn't afford to have a gun go down during a demo. I maintain my ARs very well and HAVE experienced failures but nothing that I wouldn't chalk up to normal wear, the occasional bad ammo and maybe the occasional bad magazine.

I have one particular rifle with a Sabre barrel on it that has over 30K rounds through it. At the time I was also selling Sabre factory SBRs (in fact they didn't sell factory SBRs to the public until we talked them into it!) and one of the Sabre guys wanted me to get one gun I had to a documented 50K round count so they could check the barrel erosion. That gun was used for demo every week with a suppressor and it was a full-auto gun so it got a LOT of abuse. I'd let people shoot it as much as they wanted with their quality ammo.

I also used that gun to test suppressors. We helped do things like test the new AAC Blackout mount while it was still being developed. We destroyed a few older Phantom-style mounts and a couple suppressors in the process but the gun never failed.

Long story short, most AR failures I see at public ranges are attributable to one of several issues: user doesn't know how to properly clean/maintain the weapon, use of crap ammo, use of crap magazines, gun is made with cheap parts. YES, all parts are not created equal.
wink.gif

All my ARs are built with quality parts and are properly maintained. I stick to quality ammo and magazine. All this greatly increases the chances of having few failures.

Sorry for the pre-coffee ramblings.

The only AR's I own are 3 colts and 1 Storner SR25 match.
With proper ammo they work 100% of the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long story short, most AR failures I see at public ranges are attributable to one of several issues: user doesn't know how to properly clean/maintain the weapon, use of crap ammo, use of crap magazines, gun is made with cheap parts. YES, all parts are not created equal.
wink.gif

All my ARs are built with quality parts and are properly maintained. I stick to quality ammo and magazine. All this greatly increases the chances of having few failures.</div></div>

What's sad is alot of people refuse to accept this. They want LMT/BCM/Colt for M1S/Del-Ton prices or worse yet, expect a questionable budget build to perform like a LMT/BCM/Colt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long story short, most AR failures I see at public ranges are attributable to one of several issues: user doesn't know how to properly clean/maintain the weapon, use of crap ammo, use of crap magazines, gun is made with cheap parts. YES, all parts are not created equal.
wink.gif

All my ARs are built with quality parts and are properly maintained. I stick to quality ammo and magazine. All this greatly increases the chances of having few failures.</div></div>

What's sad is alot of people refuse to accept this. They want LMT/BCM/Colt for M1S/Del-Ton prices or worse yet, expect a questionable budget build to perform like a LMT/BCM/Colt. </div></div>

Exactly!!!
smile.gif

I've owned in order:

Colt SP1
Colt HBAR
Professional Ordnance Carbon 15
Bushmaster Varmiter
Wilson Combat UT15 (I also have a couple of builds)

They have all ran great. No issues with any of them (Even the Carbon 15).

I said other. I've had a Colt and frankenguns. All shoot just fine. Even have a 5.45x39 M1Sales upper that went through like 1100 rounds, only issues were mag related. Did have an old Oly back in the day that would jam, but I didn't know anything back then, could have been something silly...

the most reliable M16/M4/AR I've ever used (civilan or military) was a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">piston driven</span></span> AR. For real life field use, I'll take a well designed and built piston AR that doesn't shit where it eats over a gas impingement AR. Pistons run clean and cool. That has proven to me to provide enhanced reliability.

However, If I want to shoot tiny groups off a bench, I'd have a custom AR built so heavy that it required a forklift to carry the rifle from my truck to the bench. That rifle would have a tight-ass chamber that couldn't possiblely work in any field conditions and would indeed be a gas impingement AR.

End result, I vote <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">PISTON</span></span>, not specific brand of rifle.

I have a franken AR that I built that has been 100% accurate for the last 5000 rounds or so. Oh, and I haven't really been too diligent about cleaning it either, so I know it runs fouled, wet, muddy, etc.

CMMG 1/7 C.L. barrel, CMT upper/bolt/carrier, Stag lower/lpk, o-ring on the extractor.

The chamber was a little tight when it was new, but a few cleanings with a chamber brush chucked up in a drill with some motor oil cured that. It runs great and is pretty damn accurate too.

I can drill a 10" steel plate at my range over and over again at 500 yards with my 3x magnifier.

i have 4 rifle built (3 complete assembled uppers and 1 bcm upper) i built and one factory rifle witch is a stag15 and i can say its just as reliable as the others, i have 2000 plus rounds fired with no malfunctions. the only thing i use that didnt come in the case with it are pmags.

Shooting an Armalite NM, 10-T and a Snake 16. The only failures have been, bent mags, and at the reloading bench. Case length is a gun stopper. So, all rifles function reliably and as designed when I do my part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: emmagee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a number of AR's and M16's, honestly, I've never had one that isn't reliable.</div></div> +1 I'm guessing that I've had maybe 15 ARs at any given time and while some performed significantly better (accuracy-wise) than others...I never had a reliability issue aside from shooting out barrels.