• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors What's up with shooting suppressor wet?

introducing an artificial environment really quiets things down more . No 1st round pops also . You can also acomplish quieter results with less volume/size of Can . Use is more common in sub.guns and pistol hosts .
But the downside is a little messy with barfing out your wet on firing , and also back pressure picking up and blowing back on auto-feed actions can get pretty filthy .

water would be the bottom/last of the list for a choice but it will work . I have even used a squirt of WD-40 silicon spray up the blast baffle bore for 'pistol Can' and it works in a pinch .
for great results and economy most people just use industrial wire pull Gel./lube and just pull a wet swab of it straight threw the bore . wet Gel hangs well and it is gelatinous and hangs good, but still able to atomize well when it pressured-up and give a wet environment to your can .
I am sure there is a Gels made 'suppressor specific' and sold by suppressor manufactures but I never bought any . and also I am no expert on Wet Cans ..edit add.
use at you own discretion / funny thing about WD-40, it is flammable when you spray and put a direct flame to the aerosol can . but it will not pop/ignite in pistol Cal. Can . also a few drops of thin machine oil works good also for a few rounds fired . it also flamible to direct flame but will not ignite when used for a wet environment in a pistol Can .

Last edited:
water would be the bottom/last of the list for a choice but it will work . I have even used a squirt of WD-40 silicon spray up the blast baffle bore for 'pistol Can' and it works in a pinch .
for great results and economy most people just use industrial wire pull Gel./lube and just pull a wet swab of it straight threw the bore . wet Gel hangs well and it is gelatinous and hangs good, but still able to atomize well when it pressured-up and give a wet environment to your can .
I am sure there is a Gels made 'suppressor specific' and sold by suppressor manufactures but I never bought any . and also I am no expert on Wet Cans ..edit add.
use at you own discretion / funny thing about WD-40, it is flammable when you spray and put a direct flame to the aerosol can . but it will not pop/ignite in pistol Cal. Can . also a few drops of thin machine oil works good also for a few rounds fired . it also flamible to direct flame but will not ignite when used for a wet environment in a pistol Can .
Don't know why water would be a last resort. It burns off just like anything else after a few mags.

There was a guy a little while back that came to the boards with a liquid designed specifically for cans, I think it was "Suppressor Juice" or something similar to that. Of course, he got ran off pretty quickly...................wonder if his product worked and how it fared comparative to water, wire lube, etc.?

There was a guy a little while back that came to the boards with a liquid designed specifically for cans, I think it was "Suppressor Juice" or something similar to that. Of course, he got ran off pretty quickly...................wonder if his product worked and how it fared comparative to water, wire lube, etc.?
'twas this: http://silencerjuice.com/

(BTW- I'm not the guy that was selling this stuff... I just remember the whole thing)

Was watching this review of a Bowers can recently and NFA Review Guy mentioned (at the 7:20 mark) that firing wet could cause a baffle strike. So he says how to spread the wiring pull gel around. Anyone with any experience on that? I've never shot one of mine wet. I doubt if everyone would know that you are supposed to be sure to spread it around inside?...

Thanks.

Do note that water based products will result in nitric acid forming in the can, you should solvent wash the can after shooting it wet.
Even if you clean them and stick them in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes? That's how I clean and dry mine and haven't seen any issues. I mean I am not scoping it for micro fractures or doing chemical analysis, but I imagine that the oven will get the water evaporated well before any damage occurs or am I wrong here?

Maybe ? if using water and wanting to neuter byproduct acidity . If take a teaspoon of 'bicarbonate' baking soda and dissolve in water, as it is a weak base .

I use 1cc of water in a .22 can. It'll make a Liberty Regulator go from spooky quiet to literally silent. Action noise only. No FRP at all. It has to be replaced after several rounds. You can actually hear it get louder over a few shots. Best to inject it into the rear of the can, not in the barrel or weapon.

You CAN use piss in a pinch but unless you wanna smell it I would refrain. A good spit would work better I'd think and not smell so fucking nasty.

Lots of people swear by wire pulling gel, supposed to last longer. You can use oil too, it lasts longer but doesn't work as well. I bet antifreeze would work well too but never tried it.

Don't do it with rifle cans. I only do it with the .22 stuff --I keep an insulin syringe with no needle alongside it.

I wet my Osprey 45 suppressor with either wire pulling gel or water. After that, its literally (movie quiet). I HIGHLY recommend it with subsonic ammo only. DO NOT try it with supersonic ammo.

Hi!
Curious like I am, can you please explain me why you recommend it with sub sonic round only and not with hyper sonic?
Is there a technical reason? Or is it even dangerous?
Thanks in advance!

Hi!
Curious like I am, can you please explain me why you recommend it with sub sonic round only and not with hyper sonic?
Is there a technical reason? Or is it even dangerous?
Thanks in advance!

When the liquid vaporizers, absorbing energy, making it quieter, it causes an increase in pressure. Add that increase with the max (or similar) pressure that the can is rated for, and bad things can happen.

When the liquid vaporizers, absorbing energy, making it quieter, it causes an increase in pressure. Add that increase with the max (or similar) pressure that the can is rated for, and bad things can happen.
While that technically is true, the possibility of a can bursting from over pressure do to the addition of a liquid and normal pressure ammo is extremely remote.

Reactions: SoulSkinner
Most modern silencers are designed to be shot dry. Filling the suppressor with water or gel always seemed silly to me since it dissipates after 5-6 rounds anyway and you're back to firing it dry. If you really want to see (hear) the difference between dry and wet then I would recommend gel. It sticks better to the baffles and unlike water which has no place to go, gel will displace sideways in the presence of a bullet. For a defensive handgun do you really want to be walking around with a silencer full of water/gel?

I may have heard somewhere that beer works well too...;)

If you need to dry out your suppressor after shooting wet you didn't shoot it enough.

I squirt some KY into the suppressor. @1J04 does the same, only he also lubes up the outside of the suppressor. I haven't figured out what he's doing with that yet...
That’s for a buckwheat