• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

When you're testing ammo/lots...

I use EC V2 tuners also. I start with tuner flush to muzzle on "0" I shoot 3 shot group at 50 yds, move the tuner 5 marks toward the shooter, and so on until I am all the way into the shooter. If two shots are not touching, I move on to the next one. I take the best of the best setting to 200yds. i move the tuner 2 marks at a time in and out 10 marks or so, until vertical is the best as it can be. not looking at the wind movement

Reactions: The Knuckle
I think I'm going to hone my shooting skills a bit more before I get into the tuner game. It's probably something I won't be able to "not" do, as a toy/gadget guy, but too many variables will probably mess me up. I know I have a lot to learn, especially seeing how much difference little things like my thumb can have at 50 yards. Love learning, especially from you folks that seem to have the depth of knowledge I've been searching for, for a long time.

And I thank you all.
D

that is an excellent group @beetroot and if my rifle is that consistent at 150 I will be very pleased and may win some matches.
Yeah I was really happy with that.
Unfortunately my stocks of ammo are extremely low, this group was shot with Eley Standard which I have less than a brick left, so alas will enjoy it while it lasts....

• Sad
Reactions: Cody S and Die4toys
Lot testing. ….

Everyone knows the term but many don’t seem to realize its limitations.

First you cannot exceed the weak link in the chain. Obvious but overlooked.

There is no magic round that will fix a poor rifle, scope or shooter.

You normally get what you pay for in ammunition.

The differences seen in various lots of top end ammo are often so small as to be irrelevant to most shooters.

The amount of testing required to see the differences is significant and technique critical.

First, yes to the question about some manufacturers SEEMINGLY have better consistency in their high end offerings. CenterX comes to mind.

When I buy a new lot, it's definitely a crap shoot, but I buy 5000 rounds. Then I open 50 of the individual boxes and take a round from each one, replacing the missing round and closing the box back up with one from a dedicated box. I shoot the 50 and pray for good groups. Sometimes it's obvious with the second magazine that this ammo is not right for this rifle. That's ok...my LGS will take the good stuff as trade and we do this sort of thing once in a while. Or I might keep it for plinking ammo...which is all i really do anyway since I don't like to compete except for beers and bragging rights. Or I might relegate it to the 10/22's or I might give it to the families youngsters to go shoot red eared sliders.

If that box of random 50 pulled from that random 5000 rounds does shoot good, I try to find more of that lot. I have never found more of that lot.

I only have 2 B14R's. Those are my accurate 22LR's. I have several 10/22's, a Ruger American, an old Springfield M2 22LR some old Remingtons and an old Winchester and 3 old Browning autos. None of the old rifles are quite as accurate as the B14R's except that Springfield and mostly collect dust. I do keep them cleaned and lubed. Anyways, I'm not that great of a shooter is my point and do not have the real high end 22's.

As for weighing rounds, there is documented evidence that measuring rim thickness is worth doing. l don't. I don't weigh, I don't reshape. I just shoot stuff. Again, I don't formally compete. Fuck that. I like to shoot so I don't want to make it competitive and start working at it too much.

There are some true 22LR experts here that have tons of write ups on this forum. One is @justin amateur

EDIT: I mostly shoot CCI Standard Velocity. It's real consistent for me. I am shooting the heads of grasshoppers at 40 yards with 9/10 hits. Now, if I am going to shoot against my brother for beers, the CenterX comes out and he doesn't have any...HAHAHA!
Sounds like you and your brother are the same as me and mine! We both have at least one identical rimfire rifle. (RPRF, Timney, Shaw 20" Match chamber) It's gonna be fun when we get together this fall. 😎

The best way I have found to test ammo is to buy 100 rounds of each lot. At 50 yards I shot 5 groups of 10, across the chrono.. Then I move to 100 yards and shoot 5 groups of 5 of each lot. Then move to 200 and shoot 5 more groups of 5. At the end I bring all the targets together and make a choice on which was best.
With RWS at 50 yards it's all good, you cant make a choice there, for me anyway. So the 100 yard and 200 yard is where you make a choice. With Lapua and SK, the 50 yards can show you some things. With sk and Lapua, I have never seen the best at 50 be the best at 100 and 200..Not saying that it can't happen that way, I am sure it does happen but not for me as of yet. I think for some reason certain ammo/gun combo's lend itself to not loosing accuracy as fast. My shooting buddy has some sk standard that he uses and wins local benchrest comps with, but it sucks at 100, he uses SKLR for PRS. The standard will beat his LR at 50.. We know bullets cant get more accurate as they head down range, so it must be that certain bullets stay on the intended path longer than others or more closely to the path.