• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Where is the 308 PRC?

KCode

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2019
Flame away, I don't know as much as you guys so I'm sure there is a reason.

But if there is a 6.5 PRC which is a Creedmoor magnum basically. Where is the 308 PRC? Or are we basically talking 30-06 at that point? Educate me!

I’m sure somebody has made a .30-6.5 PRC wildcat, but no idea. They make a .300 PRC, but it’s bigger than the .300 WinMag.

As for a .30-6.5 PRC, you might as well just get a .300 WSM, and call it a day. You can get factory ammo, brass, dies, and load data for it already.

I’m sure somebody has made a .30-6.5 PRC wildcat, but no idea. They make a .300 PRC, but it’s bigger than the .300 WinMag.

As for a .30-6.5 PRC, you might as well just get a .300 WSM, and call it a day. You can get factory ammo, brass, dies, and load data for it already.

No no, not looking for a 6.5 projectile. 30cal

Basically optimized 308 for higher BC projectiles.

That's what the first response said...a .30 cal projectile in a 6.5 PRC case.

I would venture to think that your idea of a ".308 PRC" would just be a. 308 with ~57-59 grains of powder. Basically a .30-06. Maybe in a more optimized and modern design however.

There is a .300 PRC already, designed to be an updated version of the. 300 Win Mag essentially. Or you have the .300 WSM, which gives up a little performance in order to reduce the length of the action.

Reactions: FuhQ
No no, not looking for a 6.5 projectile. 30cal

Basically optimized 308 for higher BC projectiles.
I think Fuhq’s point is that when the 6.5 PRC was developed, there wasn’t a 6.5 mm short action magnum cartridge. We already have the 300 WSM,a 30 cal short action magnum cartridge. If you were to take the 6.5 PRC and neck it up to 30 cal- creating the 30-6.5 PRC- you’d basically be recreating the 300 WSM.

Reactions: abn31c and FuhQ
30/6.5 prc has been done, if not optimized for a long vld type projo and done in a long or medium action the donut issue is real. Hence the suggestion of the 300 wsm.

Reactions: Robert4
That's what the first response said...a .30 cal projectile in a 6.5 PRC case.

I would venture to think that your idea of a ".308 PRC" would just be a. 308 with ~57-59 grains of powder. Basically a .30-06. Maybe in a more optimized and modern design however.

There is a .300 PRC already, designed to be an updated version of the. 300 Win Mag essentially. Or you have the .300 WSM, which gives up a little performance in order to reduce the length of the action.

Ah ok ok, I get it now!

I had never heard of 30/6.5 PRC

Awwww, show me on your blow up doll where that evil belted magnum touched you….

Obsolete, yep can’t argue that.
Could Remington have revived it during the 6.5 hysteria craze, possibly had they not been floundering. No incentive for anyone else to champion it with the Remington name attached.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ
Awwww, show me on your blow up doll where that evil belted magnum touched you….

Obsolete, yep can’t argue that.
Could Remington have revived it during the 6.5 hysteria craze, possibly had they not been floundering. No incentive for anyone else to champion it with the Remington name attached.
Just jokingly commenting that the belt is unnecessary in 2024, though I still have a 7mm RM that I load for. And, a 300 weatherby. Honestly, I think people make too much hay about the belt. Measure the case growth, bump the shoulder back a few thou. It’s not rocket surgery.

Cartridge dev is 90% marketing.

He's talking about in the shorter 6.5 PRC case. But basically that's a .300 WSM/SAUM, which have been around for 25 years.

Yea I completely overlooked the WSM. All of the Hornady PRCs focus on the latest and greatest BC bullets. Not sure if the WSM does good with that or not.

Regardless I have no doubt that if Hornady took the 300 WSM and rebranded it to 308 PRC or whatever, it would be an instant hit. :LOL:

The issue with a 30-6.5prc or 7mm-6.5prc is with the heavy good bc bullets, a med or long action is required with 6.5prc based wildcat. At that point, might as well save some headache and go 300prc or 7mm prc

How about we not expand cartridge offerings that share the same letter acronym as the People’s Republic of China?

Either that or go all in and call it the 308 ChiCom.

-Stan
Wut?
blchota-knocked.gif